Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU vs Rice - January 27, 2018

Add topic

Local Owl said

I understand. I'm ok with baseball, it's stadium, it's coach , everything. I say leave it alone and let it roll. We need to concentrate on basketball. For a lot of reasons. For FAU to look good to move up to a better conference, basketball could hold us back. The crappy baseball stadium will not hold us back. I truly do not know what the answer is to advance basketball. Is it the coach? Is it recruiting? Poor players? I feel like we are spinning our wheels. I would love to see basketball advance. I'm just tired of watching us muddle along without trying something , anything to change it. My very unprofessional opinion, we have a coaching issue. I could be very wrong. Maybe it is more than that. Just my guess.
Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 8:44 AM #376730

We are not going to a bigger conference.

The big conferences are not taking smaller project schools with potential anymore.
The major schools in the major conferences do not want to share the wealth with schools who do not bring within what they do.

Texas fought against bringing UCF and Ciny into the big 12 because despite them having nice programs they would not add really anything to the overall bottom line and they would have to share more of that they brought in.
The big TV money is drying up and the ESPN's of the world will only write the big checks to who can bring real viewers.

The next major conference realignment will be super conferences. Schools like Texas and USC are going to look at each other and say screw having our name raise the profile of smaller programs coming to our conference lets create our own.
Back to the top

Doesn’t anyone else think there is a possibility that the Big 12 wants to go to 12 so they pull two from the AAC, most likely UCF and USF for the Florida market and we have a shot at the AAC so they can keep a team in FL?

I don’t believe there is a chance at a P5 but I think that scenario is possible.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Doesn’t anyone else think there is a possibility that the Big 12 wants to go to 12 so they pull two from the AAC, most likely UCF and USF for the Florida market and we have a shot at the AAC so they can keep a team in FL?

I don’t believe there is a chance at a P5 but I think that scenario is possible.
Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 10:59 AM #376733

Yea, maybe.

The only question they will ask does adding UCF USF bring in TV more money?

When the big 12 was considering adding the program it was reported their TV partners paid the conference not to add because they did not want to pay more money to have to show fewer quality teams. They only have so many slot times and ESPN rather fill those slots with Texas and OU games and not USF.

The Big 12 is getting richer by doing nothing. The Big 12 is living the dream. - SBNation.com

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

dusky256fc said

Yea, maybe.

When the big 12 was considering adding the program it was reported their TV partners paid the conference not to add because they did not want to pay more money to have to show fewer quality teams. They only have so many slot times and ESPN rather fill those slots with Texas and OU games and not USF.

The Big 12 is getting richer by doing nothing. The Big 12 is living the dream. - SBNation.com

Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 11:11 AM #376734

I’ve read that previously and it certainly doesn’t help but don’t they want 12 at some point to have a conference championship or are they leaning the other way since the championships seem like they can do more harm than good as far as the playoffs are concerned especially if they expand to more than 4.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlcountry40 said

dusky256fc said

Yea, maybe.

I’ve read that previously and it certainly doesn’t help but don’t they want 12 at some point to have a conference championship or are they leaning the other way since the championships seem like they can do more harm than good as far as the playoffs are concerned especially if they expand to more than 4.
Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 11:19 AM #376735

I mean they had a conference championship game without 12 teams this year, and the winner got in the final 4 with 1 loss. Doesn’t seem to be necessary for the big 12 currently 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

dusky256fc said

owlcountry40 said

dusky256fc said

Yea, maybe.

Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 11:19 AM #376735

I mean they had a conference championship game without 12 teams this year, and the winner got in the final 4 with 1 loss. Doesn’t seem to be necessary for the big 12 currently 
Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 11:38 AM #376736

That’s right, they did have one again last year.  Weird with no divisions, is that how they keep the conference?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The big 12 rather have other obstacles than two more mouths to feed.

As much as UCF deserves to be treated as a power program the conferences and TV do not care.

If it was up to ESPN and the schools they would just toss Michigan, OU, Texas UF Bama, USC and so on in one major conference.

ESPN gets no pleasure in airing Iowa State Vs Texas Tech they pay that big money for the powers schools.

Back to the top

ESPN has so much power the entire playoff system is just a made for TV exhibition games that is decided by people who are only associated with P5 schools.

UCF is a nice story, but ESPN does not want them in that game it does not fill the pockets.

It's like our country which is just designed for the very rich to only get richer.
Back to the top

I think the real reason UCF didn't get in is Bc their non conference schedule was garbage. The Only team they beat in the regular season to finish in the top 25 was Memphis at 25. The real test will be if someone in the G5 knocks off a couple powerhouses in the regular season. And what do you know, that's our schedule next season. Air Force doesn't look bad on the resume either. Would we make it, that's the question 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I think the real reason UCF didn't get in is Bc their non conference schedule was garbage. The Only team they beat in the regular season to finish in the top 25 was Memphis at 25. The real test will be if someone in the G5 knocks off a couple powerhouses in the regular season. And what do you know, that's our schedule next season. Air Force doesn't look bad on the resume either. Would we make it, that's the question
Posted On: Jan 28th 2018, 1:28 PM #376740
In the same sentence, you shoot down beating Memphis twice yet you say AF looks nice on a schedule…….

I think Bama's wins over team like A&M and Miss State are overrated. ESPN spends all summer pre hypeing teams in big conferences then when Bama beats them they talk about how great the competition is.
Back to the top
Control functions: