Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK THREAD: FAU vs. LaTech & Southern Miss - February 1st & 3rd, 2018

Add topic

LaTech go 6-7 FG to retake the lead.

Owls shooting a poor 53% FT may haunt FAU tonight.

62-58 LaTech leads, 1:09 remaining.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

No nice way to put it. We let this game slip right through our fingers. Disappointing result.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

Here are the final stats in today's game.

Such a shame that a 47% FG effort is thrown away because of poor play in the final five minutes.

(Click images to enlarge)

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

No nice way to put it. We let this game slip right through our fingers. Disappointing result.
Posted On: Feb 1st 2018, 9:00 PM #376831

4-9 over the last 13 games, and 1-3 over the last four.

NOT the time to be inconsistent…supposed to be surging right now.

Going on record, we finish 3-5.

2014-15 C-USA 2-16
2015-16 C-USA 5-13
2016-17 C-USA 6-12
2017-18 C-USA 7-11

Potentially FIVE conference games worth of "progress" over four years - with a ridiculous benchmark to start?

At this rate we would have to endure a minimum FIVE more years to see a "decent" C-USA result.

No.

Disappointing definitely sums it up.

Date to Note:

March 8th, 2018.
Back to the top

Lost to a team that shot 38%, pathetic…at home!

I’m a sucker, I fall for this crap every year.  :Loser:
I don’t know, maybe make a free throw when it really matters.

So frustrating

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

So frustrating
Posted On: Feb 1st 2018, 9:45 PM #376834

Hate to have wasted a 47% shooting night on a loss. But not making free throws will do that to anybody.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

dusky256fc said

So frustrating

Hate to have wasted a 47% shooting night on a loss. But not making free throws will do that to anybody.
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2018, 1:24 PM #376849

I told a friend we shot just under 50% and lost to a team that shot 38% and he just walked away, embarrassing.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Jack D Whidden III said

dusky256fc said

So frustrating

Posted On: Feb 3rd 2018, 1:24 PM #376849

I told a friend we shot just under 50% and lost to a team that shot 38% and he just walked away, embarrassing.
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2018, 1:57 PM #376851

And it shouldn't be happening with this many upperclassman on the team. Blowing a lead like that with freshman on the court, fine. But we all know for a fact that these players are better than the way they played in the final seven minutes on Thursday, so what gives?

Back to the top

Owls Hope for a Crucial Win Over USM

What: FAU (10-12, 4-6) vs. Southern Miss (11-12, 4-6)

When: Saturday, February 3rd @ 7:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

Series: The all-time series is split at two wins a piece. The Owls came away with a 94-82 victory in the last meeting, where Gerdarius Troutman netted a career high 25 points.

TV: N/A

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Southern Miss Team Site: Here

Southern Miss at a Glance:

Offense - 72.7 PPG, 45% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 73.0 PPGA, 47% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 30.6 PG Golden Eagles, 36.0 PG Opponents

Notables

Since going through self-imposed back-to-back postseason bans, the Golden Eagles have begun to rebuild a foundation for their once proud and well respected program. It has been anything but a fun ride for the USM faithful in Hattiesburg. The best finish in the last three seasons, was third from bottom of the conference standings in 2017.

That foundation is centered around Oklahoma State transfer Tyree Griffin. The junior guard has started all 23 games this season, allowing him to average 16.1 PPG. Not far behind him is Kissimmee Osceola HS product Cortez Edwards, with 15.8 PPG. Those averages put them at 8th and 11th place for average points in CUSA.

The one missing piece in the rebuilding of the Southern Miss program, is rebounding. Edwards is the team leader in boards, with 6.2. Grand Canyon University transfer, Dominic Magee is second with 6.1. The only issue with Edwards and Magee being USM's rebounding leaders, is that they are both backcourt players. Because of this, the Golden Eagles rank dead last in CUSA in rebounds.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 69.0 PPG, 42% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 68.1 PPGA, 43% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.5 Owls, 37.2 Opponents

Notables

"Finally, back in the winning column! As been the case in the Curry era, the team would take two steps forwards, followed by two steps (if not three or four) backwards." -Me, literally just three days ago.

Right on cue, Michael Curry's boys followed the buzzer beater win over Rice with a step backwards via a late-game collapse to Louisiana Tech. While the team played well in the middle of the game (10:00 left in the first half to 7:00 left in the second half), the Owls looked lost on the court as the Bulldogs retook the lead. A team full over upperclassman leadership and experience, should know how to respond once a superior opponent begins to show signs of life. It has been a situation that the team has seen many times during Curry's tenure, but the same result follows.

Look for Ronald Delph and William Pfister to dominate the glass. Delph should hit a double-double quickly. If not, Curry is trying to give Justin Massey and Gerdarius Troutman early attempts in order for the two guards to reacquire their rhythm.

Latest Line

FAU -3

Back to the top

While we're waiting for the starting lineups, it is worth noting UTSA's big upset over WKU today. The Roadrunners have won three straight, with all victories coming against the top five teams in the conference.

Back to the top
Control functions: