Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

De'Andre Johnson cleared to play

owlsdad said

I love that Johnson is being cleared - more for the sign that he is healthy, but selfishly because I want depth at the QB position with multiple quality options pushing each other in practice.  Many teams are 1 snap/injury away from turning a promising season into a nightmare, so depth is near invaluable (at all positions but particularly QB).

Does anybody know the status regarding the redshirt mentioned in previous posts?  He started at FSU, then went JUCO, and then was on the roster here.  Redshirt or not I ***think*** the rules still say you have 5 years from when the clock starts to play a maximum of 4.  So on top of the 2017 redshirt question, did his clock "start" at FSU???
Posted On: Feb 6th 2018, 5:05 PM #376956

They do grant 6th years of eligibility Doughterty at WKU comes to mind right away.
Back to the top

Getting that 6th year is usually due to some significant hardship (generally suffering 2 big injuries and losing 2 seasons due to something outside of your control).  You have to apply for that, and it will be interesting to see how the NCAA would rule.  My guess is they will choose to punish rather than reward him for his FSU and JUCO years - meaning if he isn't already petitioning, and if the FSU year was the start, this is probably his last year of college football. If I recall correctly, the handful of 6-year players I remember all were guys who went to a school and stayed there the entire time and just had 2 seasons with extremely bad luck.

I would imagine he has figured out that there are lots of things more important that football given all he has been through, and with however many games/seasons he has left I hope he goes balls-out and makes the most of it.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

this is probably his last year of college football.
Posted On: Feb 6th 2018, 8:43 PM #376962

While I agree with what you said, he was C/O 2015

2015 FSU RS
2016 JUCO RS Fr
2017 FAU RS SO
2018 FAU RS Jr

He has at minimum two years of eligibility left.
Back to the top

Yep - for some reason I was thinking 2 years of JUCO.  He certainly should have at least 2 seasons left.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

owlsdad said

I love that Johnson is being cleared - more for the sign that he is healthy, but selfishly because I want depth at the QB position with multiple quality options pushing each other in practice.  Many teams are 1 snap/injury away from turning a promising season into a nightmare, so depth is near invaluable (at all positions but particularly QB).

Does anybody know the status regarding the redshirt mentioned in previous posts?  He started at FSU, then went JUCO, and then was on the roster here.  Redshirt or not I ***think*** the rules still say you have 5 years from when the clock starts to play a maximum of 4.  So on top of the 2017 redshirt question, did his clock "start" at FSU???
Posted On: Feb 6th 2018, 5:05 PM #376956

They do grant 6th years of eligibility Doughterty at WKU comes to mind right away.
Posted On: Feb 6th 2018, 8:12 PM #376959

X Stinson played at FAU for what felt like a decade!
Back to the top

Here is a story on Iowa St. QB being granted 6th year;

Iowa State QB Kyle Kempt granted sixth year by NCAA
Back to the top
Control functions: