Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Defensive Coordinator Chris Kiffin to 49ers

Times have changed, that's what happens when you have a national guy who only wants to talk to national guys…
Back to the top

You guys are glass half full people with all this publicity talk.  The good thing here is not the publicity, it's that prospective DCs will see this as a springboard to other great opportunities, especially with the talent on D we have next year.
Back to the top

True, but any day the local guys are here every day.

If you have the time and it's your job you need to build the relationships that get you that information.

Every major school has local guys who get info.
Back to the top

I'd say that the real story lies somewhere between the glass 1/2 full and glass 1/2 empty crowd.  Trying to say publicity from losing coaches (especially both coordinators) and your AD is a good thing seems crazy to me.  Trying to equate those losses to doom and gloom for next season is also short-sighted.  I think the talent we have coming back coupled with the guys we added means we should continue to have success for at least a couple of seasons.  

But no matter how you try and dissect it we need a Def Coordinator in place like yesterday with the start of Spring practice now upon us.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I'd say that the real story lies somewhere between the glass 1/2 full and glass 1/2 empty crowd.  Trying to say publicity from losing coaches (especially both coordinators) and your AD is a good thing seems crazy to me.  Trying to equate those losses to doom and gloom for next season is also short-sighted.  I think the talent we have coming back coupled with the guys we added means we should continue to have success for at least a couple of seasons.  

But no matter how you try and dissect it we need a Def Coordinator in place like yesterday with the start of Spring practice now upon us.
Posted On: Feb 27th 2018, 12:06 PM #377427

Anyone notice Wilson Love is listed on the the FAU website as asst head coach now? Thought that was interesting when I saw that.
Back to the top

He got promoted, to keep him here.
Back to the top

Rick said

He got promoted, to keep him here.
Posted On: Feb 27th 2018, 12:13 PM #377429

I mean figured that. But not often you see strength coaches in that position. 
Back to the top

He had another offer, had to do what we had to do, and glad we did  :cool:
Back to the top

Rick said

He had another offer, had to do what we had to do, and glad we did  :cool:
Posted On: Feb 27th 2018, 12:31 PM #377431

I’d agree with that 100%
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Posted On: Feb 27th 2018, 12:06 PM #377427

I think the reality is that losing coaches is never good, especially after the year we just had. I feel like it's kind of crazy to be excited that we just lost coaches, thinking that other coaches will see us as a stepping stone. We're coming off an amazing season, and losing those key guys doesn't help us, it hurts us. Yes, it's nice to know that the NFL noticed our defense, and hired Kiffin as an assistant. And it's cool that Briles went to a program that's higher profile than ours.

But please be realistic - we just had one of the best seasons in program history, and losing the guys that made that happen is bad. Sure, we're little higher profile now, but it's going to be even harder to maintain that.

Bama is rarely happy to be in the position they're in every year, losing coaches to other programs. But it comes with winning 5 championships in 9 years. And Bama can afford to pull guys from the New England Patriots to be the OC. We can't.

So yes, it's awesome that we're in the spotlight more. But losing the guys that put us in the spotlight isn't great.
Back to the top
Control functions: