Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

REGIONAL THREAD: Gainesville, FL June 1st - 4th, 2018

Add topic

REGIONAL THREAD: Gainesville, FL June 1st - 4th, 2018

What:    2018 NCAA Baseball Gainesville Regional

Who:

1. Florida 42-17 (SEC At large)
2. Jacksonville 39-19 (A-SUN At Large)
3. Florida Atlantic 40-17-1 (C-USA At Large)
4. Columbia 20-28 (IVY Auto)

When:

Friday, June 1st
Game 1: 12 p.m. - No. 4 Columbia 5  No. 1 Florida 13
Game 2: 6:30 p.m. - No. 3 FAU  No. 2 Jacksonville 5

Saturday, June 2nd
Game 3: 1 p.m. - FAU 11 vs. Columbia 2
Game 4: 7 p.m. - Florida 3 vs. Jacksonville 2

Sunday, June 3rd
Game 5: 1 p.m. - FAU 12 vs. Jacksonville 7

Monday, June 4th
Game 6: 1 p.m. - Florida 4 vs. FAU (ESPN3)
Game 7: (if necessary) – TBD – Florida vs.FAU (ESPN3)

WhereAlfred A. McKethan Stadium

Stats:    Here

Video:    ESPN3

Pre-Tournament News & Notes:

Gators

Florida is the first team ever to earn the No. 1 overall seed three times, having also done so in 2012 and 2016. Florida is the only team in the country to earn a national seed in each of the last five seasons.

The Gators are making their 34th Regional appearance and school-record 11th in a row under head coach Kevin O'Sullivan. Florida has reached the CWS 11 times and won its first national title last year while sweeping LSU in the CWS Finals.

In a change for 2018, Florida will play the opening game on Friday to help lessen the impact of potential weather delays. In the last two postseasons alone, seven scheduled night games in Gainesville have been affected by rain or lightning delays.

Dolphins

Jacksonville is making its 15th NCAA Regional appearance. After finishing their 2018 campaign with the most wins since 2006, JU received a bid to the dance for the first time since 2011, when the team advanced to the Gainesville Regional as the No. 3 seed. The team's No. 2 seeding this year is the highest in program history.

This season Jacksonville amassed its greatest win total both at home (22) and on the road (15) since 2006. Collecting five wins over nationally-ranked teams, the Dolphins took down the Gators, 8-4, in Gainesville on April 17, knocking off the nation's top squad for the first time since 2007.

Owls

Florida Atlantic will be making their 13th NCAA postseason in history, and fourth in the last six years. The Owls enjoy a narrow 19-18 advantage over Jacksonville in the all-time series, but haven't faced the Dolphins since 2006 when they were swept during the regular season before downing JU 8-3 in the A-SUN Tournament.

Ironically, the Owls also last faced Columbia, who they are 13-2 all-time against, in 2006 as well. Florida Atlantic's set backs to the Lions go all the way back to the 82' and '91 seasons and they have won 10 straight against the Ivy League member.

The Owls are 7-19 against host Florida, having drooped eight of the last 10 contests, with their last win coming 5-4 in 11 innings during the 2014 campaign.

Lions

Despite a 20-28 overall mark for 2018, Columbia also earned its fourth NCAA Tournament berth in six years, and will make its sixth appearance all-time after sweeping Yale in the best-of-three Ivy League Championship Series on May 22-23.

Concluding a 13-8 mark in conference play, Brett Boretti was selected Ivy League Coach of the Year, while seven players garnered All-Ivy League honors.

The Lions last trip to NCAA Regionals came in 2015 when they went 3-2 in Coral Gables and were one game shy of reaching the Super Regionals after being defeated by Miami on the final day of the event.

Back to the top

Any word on availability for some of the guys with injuries for the regional??  
Back to the top

UF is 1-6 over last seven games - the time is right Owls!!!!
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

Any word on availability for some of the guys with injuries for the regional??  
Posted On: May 29th 2018, 12:00 PM #378521

Miranda and Pages are both listed as day to day and "hopeful" as of right now. 
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

UF is 1-6 over last seven games - the time is right Owls!!!!
Posted On: May 29th 2018, 12:09 PM #378522

Granted, two of some of their best players went down during the tournament. That was clearly factored in their ranking because UF is still the national #1 seed.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

Granted, two of some of their best players went down during the tournament…
Posted On: May 29th 2018, 3:45 PM #378524

As was the case with us all year…i think we win it had it not been for that…
Back to the top

Well, that and winning the SEC Tournament meant nothing for UF, they were already the #1 seed, knew they were getting a regional. They practically let the fans play in their last game.  :Big-Grin:

They will be ready.

I predict an FAU v UF final with the Owls coming into it with a loss, hopefully we can give them their first loss and push it to the second game. When we did that to UNC (when they were #1 overall) it was an amazing 2 nights of baseball.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Well, that and winning the SEC Tournament meant nothing for UF, they were already the #1 seed, knew they were getting a regional. They practically let the fans play in their last game.  :Big-Grin:

They will be ready.

I predict an FAU v UF final with the Owls coming into it with a loss, hopefully we can give them their first loss and push it to the second game. When we did that to UNC (when they were #1 overall) it was an amazing 2 nights of baseball.
Posted On: May 29th 2018, 5:51 PM #378526

Oh man that was one of the all-time classics of college baseball.  
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

teambeer said

They will be ready.

Posted On: May 29th 2018, 7:00 PM #378527

Only time in my life I’m yelling at the tv at 2am for baseball.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Roscoeowl said

teambeer said

They will be ready.

Posted On: May 29th 2018, 7:00 PM #378527

Only time in my life I’m yelling at the tv at 2am for baseball.
Posted On: May 29th 2018, 8:43 PM #378528

Haha.  Was right there with you.  Wife was hating me that night.  
Back to the top
Control functions: