Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Some ridiculous analysis...

Island_Owl88 said

Ridiculous analysis:
If we still had Driskel at QB, we beat OU.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 12:25 PM #379584

Did you see his pass charting done in the article? Like 60% of his passes were at or behind the line of scrimmage…that is the ONLY reason his completion percentage was so good.

We would basically have to run all game and they would eventually shut us down, IMO.
Back to the top

Rick said

Did you see his pass charting done in the article? Like 60% of his passes were at or behind the line of scrimmage…that is the ONLY reason his completion percentage was so good.

We would basically have to run all game and they would eventually shut us down, IMO.

Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 1:47 PM #379585

I did read it. I was expecting this rebuttal as well.

Assuming Driskel hadn't "retired". There would still be a QB battle, but Driskel has the experience, was a good game manager, and was better at decision making, which is what Kiffin and Weiss are looking for in this QB bunch. IMHO, Driskel would've probably won this battle this year if his accuracy had improved.
Back to the top

Driskel might’ve been able to win the job and he was definitely a great game manager which worked out well for FAU last season. But if you want to beat OU or even a top G5 team, you need more than a game manager. 

Now if Driskel came back and improved his accuracy down the field, sign me up for all the Jason Driskel stock, but that isn’t necessarily realistic
Back to the top

Squints15 said

Driskel might’ve been able to win the job and he was definitely a great game manager which worked out well for FAU last season. But if you want to beat OU or even a top G5 team, you need more than a game manager. 

Now if Driskel came back and improved his accuracy down the field, sign me up for all the Jason Driskel stock, but that isn’t necessarily realistic
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 2:22 PM #379587
Exactly but unfortunately some people don’t like facts getting in the way.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Loved Driskell, did his best for us, but watch the films of last year - fair at best, missing open received DOWNFIELD MANY times! And luck did not have 10+ picks, he/we were lucky at timesBut did improve as season went on to give him credit.

To compare, Driskell is now retired, McGough (FIU) in NFL - how the F is that - much better and accurate arm even though not nearly as good a game manager and also very injury prone!!
Back to the top

I don't know much about the FAU depth chart and haven't been able to find one.  So, I'm curious about the offensive and defensive position groups where FAU would have an advantage over OU.

For example I know FAU has an exceptional RB.  How about the depth at RB?  We have two RBs that together rushed for 2035 of some 3049 yards.  Anderson and Sermon rushed for 2035 yards with averages of 6.2 and 6.1 yards per carry.  In addition a 3rd RB added another couple of hundred rushing yards.  In addition Anderson and Sermon caught passes for almost 500 yards and at 22 yards per catch.

Do you know where I can find these kinds of stats for FAU?
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I think we're going to beat OU by a touchdown. Our running game is unstoppable, and with some downfield pass completions, our offense is unstoppable. OU is only ranked 7th, and just aren't as good as Bama, OSU, and Clemson. We're 30th and beating # 7 just doesn't seem like that big of an upset.
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 11:15 AM #379579

Again only two OCC teams have won in Norman outside the top 10 in the last 20 years.

They scored over 50 against UGA and have a former number one overall player replacing him.

We are a good team and should be 21 point dogs to OU.
Back to the top

webell said

I don't know much about the FAU depth chart and haven't been able to find one.  So, I'm curious about the offensive and defensive position groups where FAU would have an advantage over OU.

For example I know FAU has an exceptional RB.  How about the depth at RB?  We have two RBs that together rushed for 2035 of some 3049 yards.  Anderson and Sermon rushed for 2035 yards with averages of 6.2 and 6.1 yards per carry.  In addition a 3rd RB added another couple of hundred rushing yards.  In addition Anderson and Sermon caught passes for almost 500 yards and at 22 yards per catch.

Do you know where I can find these kinds of stats for FAU?
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 4:00 PM #379590
Deapth at RB is not great a couple guys who have should have steeped up have been hurt.
Whyte has been good for great for us as a returner, but he need to show he can take 12 carries a game.
WR is our other weakness everyone is uporven and the guys who were next in line have been in and out during the fall.

FAU will lose by 30 if we do not have pass for over 250 yards to go with the running game.

I am not confident against OU, maybe becuase we have been here before. I remeber after the 2007 Bowl win we wnet and played a Texas team that went like 8-5 year before that had a 1 young QB (Colt McCoy) who threw a lot picks the year before. I remeber the "we return 16 starters" and ''Texas is only ranked 12th'' well we lost 52-10.
If we play a gmae like we did up against Wisonsion last year maybe a TD better I will be happy.

Back to the top

Unfortunately I have to agree, especially if we are going to have this aggressive attacking defensive scheme we keep hearing about.  Oklahoma and Lincoln Riley will eat that up(so will UCF if heuple is calling plays),

Honestly I'm still a little skeptical of our DC hire, which stinks because this could be most talented D we have had in the program so far.  Yeah his usm d's had decent stats and all but they would get lit up in the games against above average offenses.  Hopefully I'm dead wrong.  

Back to Oklahoma, I think they're going to help bring us back to reality a bit.  Which may not be a bad thing.  

Hoping the wr Corp gets healthy and flips a switch when season begins, I was actually pumped about who we had returning and coming into the program.  
Back to the top

So did our old D's - talent not near the same levels. S. Miss DID hold both Kentucky and Tennessee to 24 pts and less than 300 yards last year. They ARE NOT OU unfortunately!

We will be GREAT at Conference level though!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: