Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Some ridiculous analysis...

GeorgiaOwl said

So did our old D's - talent not near the same levels. S. Miss DID hold both Kentucky and Tennessee to 24 pts and less than 300 yards last year. They ARE NOT OU unfortunately!

We will be GREAT at Conference level though!!!
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 7:25 PM #379596

I'll give him credit on those 2 although i believe last year was a good year to catch those teams while they were down.  My key games were unt which we handled pretty well twice and then a blow out bowl game loss to a stumbling bumbling temp coached fsu team.  I agree I think we'll fare well against cusa competition but I just dont know about how the scheme will work against the big boys and offensive geniuses like Riley and heuple(sp).

Dont get me wrong I hope I'm dead wrong and stun the world against OU.  
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

but I just dont know about how the scheme will work against the big boys and offensive geniuses like Riley and heuple(sp).   
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 9:23 PM #379597

Just curious…Was this supposed to have red font??

:Big-Grin:  

IMO, they don't hold a candle to Lane in proven situations/experience…especially given what we did offensively last season with what we had to work with, and what he did as an OC at Alabama (highest level of play possible).
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

So did our old D's - talent not near the same levels. S. Miss DID hold both Kentucky and Tennessee to 24 pts and less than 300 yards last year. They ARE NOT OU unfortunately!

We will be GREAT at Conference level though!!!
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 7:25 PM #379596

I'll give him credit on those 2 although i believe last year was a good year to catch those teams while they were down.  My key games were unt which we handled pretty well twice and then a blow out bowl game loss to a stumbling bumbling temp coached fsu team.  I agree I think we'll fare well against cusa competition but I just dont know about how the scheme will work against the big boys and offensive geniuses like Riley and heuple(sp).

Dont get me wrong I hope I'm dead wrong and stun the world against OU.  
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2018, 9:23 PM #379597

I'll give ya for sure UT was down (actually have been for years!). But UK having a decent run for them. We shall see soon and hoping for the best for our OWLS!
Back to the top

It's understandable that we should be worried about OU's offense. But how is OU going to stop us? We averaged almost 50 points the last 8 games. We have Motor back, an all conference tackle, huge replacements on the interior line, our tight ends healthy again. Our running game should be unstoppable against OU. Their defense was horrible against good teams last year and they're younger this year. There's no way they hold us to less than say, 30 points. I could see us scoring 40.
Back to the top

On offense, I think it is more the question marks the Owls have.  Johnson or Robinson ***could*** be way better than Driskel, and have the physical tools to be.  But nobody really knows what either are going to look like - especially in a setting like playing at OU on Fox in the first D-I start for either one of them.  The WRs look to be really good and deep, but again they have been banged up and there is still a question of who is going to get them the ball (see the first point).  And everybody trusts Lane as an offensive mind, but there are still questions about what the loss of Briles means to the system, who is really going to call plays, the evolution that the 25-year old OC needs to go through (his first game as OC, too), etc.

I expect this team can be every bit as good as last year's offense if not better, but I would still expect some growing pains (just like last year until Lane settled in with Driskel managing the game).  The difference now versus last year is FAU has it's offensive identity set, but everybody else also knows that identity now.
Back to the top

With Robison, you would be sending a freshman out there against a team that he left on "bad terms" in front of potentially 86K.

My money is NOT on him starting, but we shall see…
Back to the top

I’m going with a DeAndre starting, and unless we’re winning/within 7/10 at half. Robison gets the second half.

Both look good. But you’re right, we forget he’s a freshman still. Let him ease into it.
Back to the top

That is as good of a guess as any. I think Chris is a better QB.
Back to the top

Is DJ's arm strength really at 100%? Read a lot of reports that a lot of his long passes have fluttered. I know he had a cannon coming out of HS. CR certainly has a cannon. May not matter all that much as we will still be a running team, and the main concern will be not to force things and make careless plays at that position.
Back to the top

There’s the trade off I think.

I’ve seen DJ throw a bit recently and the arm looks 100%, but he did throw a couple balls that made you go hmm.

On the other hand, CR is known to make those mental mistakes.

The lesser of two evils…
Back to the top
Control functions: