Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless Predictions FAU @ Oklahoma

Island_Owl88 said

I trust the defense will keep it close in the 1st half. We cover the spread.
31-17 Sooners.

However, I will need some help in case we win this game. How should I react?

Take the high road: Remain humble, Say very little, and move on.

OR

Go Low: be petty, trash talk, and rub it in all the naysayers' faces.
Posted On: Aug 27th 2018, 1:05 PM #379717

I am going option 3! 48 hour binder that probably causes me to miss my flight back to Palm Beach from Norman
Back to the top

High road - celebrate like crazy, but put it in perspective as the biggest thing in program history to date, and realize there is a lot left to prove.  Move-on quickly, because a loss to ANYBODY on the schedule after a win like that would have the naysayers back out in force (and ripping you to shreds for the "fluke" win).

Just like last year, FAU shouldn't claim they are ready for the NY6 based on the 11-3 record that included a smackdown by Navy, a loss to Buffalo, and a ho-hum bowl match-up.  The Owls have had a meteoric rise to the cream of the crop of C-USA and now are one of the top-mentioned G5 schools, but I'd think the model is to be like Boise State - they celebrated and expected to win a bunch of big games, but they didn't go overboard and think they all of the sudden had become Alabama.

Some of the quotes my old high school coach used to try and beat into us:
"Act like you have been there" (i.e. score a TD and hand the ball to the ref because you are supposed to score)
"Plan for success, and expect it" (i.e. don't celebrate a 3 yard catch for a first down in the middle of the 2nd quarter)
"Be seen, not heard" (i.e. let your actions do the talking)
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

I trust the defense will keep it close in the 1st half. We cover the spread.
31-17 Sooners.

However, I will need some help in case we win this game. How should I react?

Take the high road: Remain humble, Say very little, and move on.

OR

Go Low: be petty, trash talk, and rub it in all the naysayers' faces.
Posted On: Aug 27th 2018, 1:05 PM #379717

I think you have to go high with everybody except UF fans. To me, they're even more obnoxious than Miami fans, even with their program in the crapper for the last several years, and their success under Urban Meyer being tarnished by his dirty program. With those guys, go low.
Back to the top

I'm with Owldad. Florida HS Football coaches in the 70s and 80s were all cut from the same mold. "Act like you've been there before" Celebrate, then move on to the next game.
Back to the top

Stealing my thunder on the Fearless Prediction(s). I know I have been slacking, but I was hoping to start 2018 strong. Anyhow, here I go.

Travelling to Norman is never easy, but week one seems to be a better a road date than once the Sooners are in mid-season form. FAU brings back talent on offense and a lot of experience on defense. Oklahoma is always good, but the BIG12 seems to have forgotten how to play defense. I think the Owls fly into Norman with more confidence than any other season opener in FAU history. Oklahoma will have the offense to score points, but no Baker Mayfield means less offensive fireworks than last year. FAU will have to use match-ups and the coaching of Kiffin to get the big plays on offense while exposing a vulnerable OU defense. I am not going to be a homer here, but I do think FAU puts up a good showing.

FEARLESS PREDICTION:

OKLAHOMA 41

FAU 30

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Just so I can look awesome when they do get the big upset.

FAU 32
Oklahoma 28

Riots in the breezeway, Owls win it!!! Owls win it!!!!  :Yawn:  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

SCowl said

FAU 32
Oklahoma 28

Posted On: Aug 29th 2018, 7:55 AM #379756

See, now that's a score I can get behind.

First game of the season generally tends to be a defensive affair, as the offenses are harder to implement.
Back to the top

FAU pulls off the big upset with timely red zone defense….and uses a trick play or 2 to get some big yardage plays to set up a couple of TDs

FAU 35
Okla 26

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

SCowl said

FAU 32
Oklahoma 28

Posted On: Aug 29th 2018, 7:55 AM #379756

Rick, we need the photo…

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Ask and you shall receive  :Big-Grin:

Back to the top
Control functions: