Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Defense is a MAJOR area of concern...

This defense definitely didn't look like last year's.

Runs up the middle with success and being beaten on long bombs we expect against OU's talent level.

But tackling and coverage, both were very bad.

This needs to be fixed ASAP or we're in for a very long season. There's no need to "fix" what we did last season.

If this new DC is implementing his system because that's all he knows how to run and this is how badly it performs over the next five games, Lane made a huge mistake in hiring him.
Back to the top

AF's triple option offense is exactly what we don't need to be facing right after the fiasco last Saturday. Being overly aggressive is a recipe for disaster against that offense. Their athletic level will be nowhere near OU's, but to change schemes in a matter of days and deal with a legit triple option threat (I believe 2 passing receptions their entire first game) is worrisome. FAU can still win a shootout, but it will be telling to me how the staff adjusts in this game.
Back to the top

Let remember the last time OU was on the field they put 56 on UGA.

Lets also remember we had tackling issues against Navy and Wisconsin last year.

I think Lane protecting players in camps with rarely going live backfired.

Game reps should slove this issue.
Back to the top

I don't think Coach K EVER thought we has a snowballs chance in heck at OU so we had already begun to prepare for AF O even before OU. We got out healthy and now will have some fire back this Sat.! OU was way better than ANYONE we played last year too!
Back to the top

FAU has historically been terrible at tackling. Even with different defensive strategies we still have a roster of finesse players. 
Back to the top

d-owl said

AF's triple option offense is exactly what we don't need to be facing right after the fiasco last Saturday. Being overly aggressive is a recipe for disaster against that offense. Their athletic level will be nowhere near OU's, but to change schemes in a matter of days and deal with a legit triple option threat (I believe 2 passing receptions their entire first game) is worrisome. FAU can still win a shootout, but it will be telling to me how the staff adjusts in this game.
Posted On: Sep 3rd 2018, 12:53 PM #380143

We seem to really love to shoot ourselves in the foot as much as we can. Even the OU game, had it been played a game or two later in the season (without all the off season hype buildup) would have likely been much closer. Talk about trying to ruin a promising teams’ season before it’s even really begun.

Who is responsible for this awful scheduling? Chunn? I understand that these games are scheduled years in advance but Chunn must never have expected this team to be any good for it to even matter.
Back to the top

OU was better than advertised. Kyler Murray is an incredibly talented QB (OU's D looked a lot better too). And I read last week we were preparing our D for AF's triple option already. We should be fine and the experts think we'll bounce back Bc were favored. OU could go all the way this year.
Back to the top

owl said

d-owl said

Posted On: Sep 3rd 2018, 12:53 PM #380143

We seem to really love to shoot ourselves in the foot as much as we can. Even the OU game, had it been played a game or two later in the season (without all the off season hype buildup) would have likely been much closer. Talk about trying to ruin a promising teams’ season before it’s even really begun.

Who is responsible for this awful scheduling? Chunn? I understand that these games are scheduled years in advance but Chunn must never have expected this team to be any good for it to even matter.
Posted On: Sep 3rd 2018, 2:12 PM #380152

Think this was another Angelos move pre-Pat Chun.Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Next year we get Ohio State. After that, I want to have a Rutgers or Indiana type team go to Boca for once. Yeah, the payout won't be as big, but at this point we need to move beyond that. Who knows how the Sooners may have shaken the team's confidence after they were built up as a possible NYD bowl/top 25 team.

Will be interesting to see the next poll and see just how far we dropped in terms of votes received. Our national perception took a very big hit Saturday, not by the loss, but how much we resembled a "minor league" squad or the FAU teams of the past.
Back to the top

You'll probably say this doesn't mean anything because of the opponent but we are 123 out of 125 teams in the country for defense right now.

Looking back at last year, this site had us #34 in the country for defense. Southern Mississippi was #45.

I remember reading that USM was ranked #20 in the country for defense. That number is reflect here.

Last year USM gave up to in-state opponents (with their final win-loss):

Vs common opponents
43 to North Texas (9-5)  … we gave up 31
27 to La Tech (7-6)  … we gave up 23
21 to UNC-Charlotte (1-11)  … we gave up 12
27 to Marshall (8-5) … we gave up 25

Fairly similar…

USM only opponents
34 to Rice (1-11)
30 to UAB (8-5)
29 to UTSA (6-5)
0 to UTEP (0-12)

Obviously that Rice game is concerning because they were a bad team.

But after seeing this, on paper I understand why Kiffin might think this is a good hire for DC.
Back to the top

And though S. Miss lost, they shut down TWO SEC teams (Kentucky and Tennessee. S. Miss O turned the ball over too much last year!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: