Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless Predictions 2018 Week 2: FAU vs Air Force

Hoot_N_Holler said

I'm not involved with producing the podcast, only providing material for it by posting on this board. ;)

The exact phrase you used was mentioned in the most recent podcast.

I think a "complex scheme" works well against a passing attack where you can affect timing and patterns by shifting and blitzing from different areas.

I think a different approach is needed against a triple option team where it's more about discipline and gap control, controlling the ends, and the second level making stops. Bring the safety into the box as an extra defender against the run.

Disclaimer: I'm just a dude on a message board and not a paid professional. ;)
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 8:17 AM #380310

Exactly my point. Confusing a passer can require a "complex scheme" with multiple looks. Defending a triple-option, or any option, is largely a game of assignments and gap control. We agree  :Winking:

Also, just another guy posting on a message board.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

owlfan1 said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Don't use the phrase simplify on defense or you might get called out on the podcast.

These are my gameday predictions.
Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 10:30 PM #380303
No idea what you mean by this, what "the podcast" refers to, or the reason for a "call out." Do you have a problem with running a base package with minimum shifts in coverage/stunts? Sometimes the best plan is the one that is easiest to remember and execute. The complex stuff comes with time and with lots of experience. Also, not good to get complex with a triple-option. Basic assignment based defense is key.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 7:52 AM #380307

Some of the best defenses in college football run more complicated defenses. We have and experienced team and should be able to expand the play book without falling apart. 

Also the D you run vs a triple option has 0.0 to do with what the rest of the season it why it’s so dumb to play those teams.
It’s like teaching someone to BBQ everyday and one day they show up and you gotta stop everything and teach them to bake a cake. 

Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 8:08 AM #380309

Yes, "complex" works against some offenses. Triple O is best defended with basic defense and being very disciplined about assignments.

"Complex" defenses can also be very effective, mostly against passing offenses, but the players need to know the system inside and out, and execute. The best teams do this and the defense looks brilliant. We couldn't do it against Oklahoma.

We all seem to be  in agreement here.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

I'm not involved with producing the podcast, only providing material for it by posting on this board. ;)

The exact phrase you used was mentioned in the most recent podcast.

I think a "complex scheme" works well against a passing attack where you can affect timing and patterns by shifting and blitzing from different areas.

I think a different approach is needed against a triple option team where it's more about discipline and gap control, controlling the ends, and the second level making stops. Bring the safety into the box as an extra defender against the run.

Disclaimer: I'm just a dude on a message board and not a paid professional. ;)
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 8:17 AM #380310
Again what you run vs a triple option is nothing even close to what you run all year. You have stop everything and play it. It works well becuase teams do not get a chane to pratice there gaps and responsibilities outside of a few practices. Also you do not practice cut blocking your own guys for injury reasons.
Back to the top

Yes, I think we all agree here.

This is not the kind of offense we will face again this year.

Yes, it stinks to change the scheme for one game and it's not worth the time and effort.

It doesn't need to change but that also means our current defense isn't the best match up.

Kiffin said the same thing about Navy last year.

A discussion point isn't necessarily an endorsement of the point.
Back to the top

Staying away from a score…

Honestly, mixed on this game.

Depends on QB play…

Solid play with good (not great) run reads and good (not great) passes (in all yardage situations) = Owls win.

Mediocre play with mixed success in run reads and a 55% completion rate = Owls loss.

We are going to have to see some major improvements on defense as well, and probably have to play the best D against the triple we have ever played to win to make up for the lagging install of our offense.

It's not due to a lack of talent; it's the facet of still needing a fortified leader to emerge behind center.

Gut?

We lose a close game by 7 points.

Heart, we win by 7.

We shall see what happens - hopefully with no weather issues to complicate matters - but here's to us FINALLY getting a triple option win under the belt, and not ever scheduling one again until we can comfortably guarantee success.

Back to the top

Rick said

Staying away from a score…

Honestly, mixed on this game.

Depends on QB play…

Solid play with good (not great) run reads and good (not great) passes (in all yardage situations) = Owls win.

Mediocre play with mixed success in run reads and a 55% completion rate = Owls loss.

We are going to have to see some major improvements on defense as well, and probably have to play the best D against the triple we have ever played to win to make up for the lagging install of our offense.

It's not due to a lack of talent; it's the facet of still needing a fortified leader to emerge behind center.

Gut?

We lose a close game by 7 points.

Heart, we win by 7.

We shall see what happens - hopefully with no weather issues to complicate matters - but here's to us FINALLY getting a triple option win under the belt, and not ever scheduling one again until we can comfortably guarantee success.

Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 9:43 PM #380337

This is basically how I feel. Gut says FAU is losing. Except heart says we turn it around in a big way and win by 2-3 TD’s.
Back to the top

People are pretty excited online. From the numbers, looks like we could have a good crowd on hand. Fairly important to have a good showing here so those people keep coming back. But I say that every year before the first game.
Back to the top

My daughter says the students are very excited and she knows a lot of kids plan to attend.  I asked her if that meant the tailgate or the game and she was a little less sure of herself 😀

But I hope the student crowds that started growing (both in size and how they cheered) carries over to the start of this home season.
Back to the top

Thanks for that report on student game day spirit, owlsdad.

We here at Hoot N Holler are preparing to go mobile and will soon be reporting from the parking lot.

Now back to Rick in the studio…
Back to the top

I think FAU's overall team speed on offense make a big difference with a couple of breakaway TDs…34-21 FAU

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top
Control functions: