Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Old Dominion @ FAU Game Thread - October 6th, 2018

Add topic

jgf2017 said

Hoot_N_Holler, why do you feel the need to consistently bring up that you went to UF.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2018, 9:44 AM #381873

THIS JUST IN FROM THE NEWS DESK:

The person you are posting this to is a SERIOUS supporter of FAU…

Secondly, it is kinda funny you're calling him out like that considering the fact that you blasted our UF lineman transfer at least five times in the game day thread…

Just sayin'!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Just logged in after a short hiatus and after a dominant FAU win, just to walk in the middle of a civil war? LOL

Let's cheer up. The "enemy" is out there, not in this forum. We got a lot of work to do. We have C-USA teams to beat, and to root for them to beat MTSU so we can have a chance at the C-USA crown.

Here's my biggest complain at the half way mark. WE DON'T PRACTICE THE HURRY UP OFFENSE LIKE WE DID LAST YEAR. I have continuously seen missed opportunities on offense. I see us being lined up and ready to snap the ball, while a defensive player is jogging to the sidelines. Last year, Driskel used it and even abused it. He recognized the free play, and took advantage of it. Same scenario when we had a suspicious call/or conversion in our favor, we snap the ball quickly before we give the defense or ref a chance to argue and overturn the call.

Other than that, what happened to Deandre McNeal?

As always, Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

To Island_Owl's point, we seem to be in the hurry-up when I see the ball carrier pitch the ball to the ref and I see backs and receivers sprinting to their positions.  Then I see we are basically up to the line and ready to snap the ball, but the play seems to be a little slower to get called and then Robison is more deliberate in getting to the point of asking for the snap.  I stated this in a much earlier thread, but I think it is a combination of 3 things:

1) New OC and a slightly different system.  Briles had a lot of experience in how to run the hurry-up, so it is not surprising that Weis Jr and even Kiffin aren't as adept at how to run that fast.

2) We have a RS FR versus a seasoned QB last year.  I know they both just got into this offense last year, and it could be argued Robison should be even more ready since he got to sit and learn last year, but he is still a RS FR.  You can tell when he is confident he gets the ball out faster, makes faster decision, etc.  When he is unsure it is the opposite.  So I would imagine he is just that little bit slower in getting the call going.  Which is probably also impacted by my last reason.

3) We seem to be going with more options on the calls at the line.  Maybe it is because Robison is expected to be much better, but last year it seemed like we already knew the next play, or we called 2 or 3 plays at a time, or if we went to the line it was a quick read and a choice between 2 options.  It seems like we are now trying much harder to read the defense and call a play rather than dictating the tempo.  At one point Saturday in the 4th quarter after a big pass play, ODU had a D-lineman who was just kind of jogging back to the line.  Last year we would have snapped the ball and caught him offsides, scored, and declined the penalty.  On that play, we snapped the ball when the guy got back to his position, didn't block him, and he dropped Motor for a 2 yard loss back to the 5 yard line.  Luckily Robison scored a play or two later, but that was WAY different than what I saw last season.
Back to the top

Important!
Posts from this topic have been moved by Rick. 2 posts have been transferred to The OFFICIAL "We are arguing and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand" Thread.
Important!

I'll re-open this thread once the talk about UF and mentioning other programs dies down…

For those who want to continue the "discussion" on that here is the thread:

The OFFICIAL "We are arguing and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand" Thread - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

owlsdad said

At one point Saturday in the 4th quarter after a big pass play, ODU had a D-lineman who was just kind of jogging back to the line.  Last year we would have snapped the ball and caught him offsides, scored, and declined the penalty.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2018, 11:39 AM #381879

I'm glad you noticed it.
Most of the time last year, on those "free play" opportunities, Driskel handed the ball to Motor. where 2 things would happen: A) play goes for 0 yards, no problem, penalty agianst the defense, we gain 5 free yards. or B) Motor does what motor does best and picks up a 1st down (and then some), we decline penalty, and we keep moving. We just have to take advantage of these situations is all I'm saying.
Back to the top

Good points, and it's good to see you back Island Owl 88!

I agree - hasn't felt like we've run the hurry up quite the same way this year.  And to owlsdad's point, it's more like we're running the 2009 Oklahoma, Sam Bradford no huddle offense (get to line of scrimmage quickly so to the D can't substitute, look to the sideline for the play call).

To which…I think running our hurry up might have hurt us had we run it at Oklahoma?  Had we scored or been stopped quickly, it would have given the ball back to Oklahoma quickly.  It was probably best to slow down, eat clock, and keep the ball out of their hands ala Army's strategy.

Would think though it should be a benefit against Conference USA, like it was last year.

Back to the top
Control functions: