Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless Predictions FAU VS Old Dominion 2018

Francois said

The one things that was frustrating for me…
Posted On: Oct 5th 2018, 9:41 AM #381659

Last year we had a lot of draw runs on 3rd and long that picked up first downs.  

Those aren’t there for us anymore.  We have to find a way to a vertical passing game defenses have to respect.  Or Motor will have more 3.5 YPC games.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

It has been strange, but in my opinion the actual "real" draw plays have had some success (particularly against UCF).  Those are delayed, and Motor has a fighting chance to see where he might need to dart and find a hole.  What has struggled mightily is the straight-up run where we turn around and hand it to Motor - that typically goes nowhere because he is already running to a place that the defense has blown it up, then he jukes, spins, stutter-steps, and does something amazing to simply get back to the line of scrimmage.  The jet sweeps also do OK a couple of times, but except for AF other teams have seemed to adjust to those after they work and we keep going back to the well.

I'd like to see some plays where we get Motor outside the tackle (not full sweeps, but some kind of delays where he can read things and isn't going right up the center).  I haven't seen a lot of counter-type plays where again there is some delay, the ball goes the other way, and there is no set hole but an opportunity for the back to read something and go where there is room.  Those would be very good plays for a really fast/quick back like White, too.  And they have tried to run Robison several times - if he is that athletic seems like we should be able to do some things with him running with the opportunity to throw or pitch the ball on the outside versus the runs I have seen where he seems to be a set QB keeper that other than the 1 big run last week have not looked very good.

Of course none of that matters for the running game if there are no holes or any room.  So we need to decide if we are going back to being a running team, and if so - the O-line needs to get aggressive and fire off to at least get a push and give talented backs like Singletary and White a chance.
Back to the top

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

ODU has NOT been able to run the ball at all this year though and their pass blocking has been bad - 9 sacks vs. ECU last week and 16 on the year. WR Duhart is the worry, we gotta limit him and we win.

All that aid - WE HAVE TO PLAY 60 MIN OF GOOD FOOTBALL FROM HERE ON OUT!!!
Posted On: Oct 4th 2018, 1:51 PM #381646

?????

Cox had 130 yards and 2 TDs vs Virginia Techs D.

We better tackle.
Posted On: Oct 5th 2018, 8:49 AM #381656

And then only 57 yards on 20 carries vs. a bad ECU! Nothing sustained and I sure hope big Mr. Jefferson can play to add some much needed size the the middle of that DL! We are WAY undersized there!!!

Back to the top

ODU rushing - they had a net of 21 yards last week against ECU.  They also had under 100 yards total against FIU.  Cox has 310 yards in 5 games (62 per contest).  I am beginning to think there is little to take away from the ODU/Va Tech game other than Tech just slept-walked their way through an embarrising effort.
Back to the top

That ODU net 21 rushing yards was hurt BIG TIME by 9 sacks with 63 yards in losses! ECU had 7 sacks in first 3 games. And LaRussa is a little guy (5'10" 185) who does not run well for a small guy. Makes their O more predictable and easier to defend - good for us for a change!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I am beginning to think there is little to take away from the ODU/Va Tech game other than Tech just slept-walked their way through an embarrising effort.
Posted On: Oct 5th 2018, 1:06 PM #381669

The QB had a career contest…made some incredible throws that would have missed on any other day…

Back to the top

Cox rushing this season:

2018 Game Log Rushing Receiving
DATE OPP RESULT   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
9/1 @Liberty
L
52-10
12 34 2.8 10 0 1 24 24.0 24 0
9/8 Florida Intl
L
28-20
13 43 3.3 11 0 4 24 6.0 23 0
9/13 @Charlotte
L
28-25
7 46 6.6 25 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
9/22 Virginia Tech
W
49-35
20 130 6.5 40 2 4 25 6.3 12 0
9/29 @East Carolina
L
37-35
20 57 2.9 14 1 3 18 6.0 11 0

Cox for the season:

RUSHING RECEIVING
SPLITS ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
Season 72 310 4.3 40 3 12 91 7.6 24 0

ODU as a team rushing for the season:

Rushing Statistics
NAME CAR YDS AVG LONG TD
Jeremy Cox 72 310 4.3 40 (TD) 3
Steven Williams 23 84 3.7 23 1
Lala Davis 14 61 4.4 20 (TD) 2
Kesean Strong 12 38 3.2 15 (TD) 2
Brandon Sinclair 7 24 3.4 18 0
Isaiah Harper 3 18 6.0 17 0
Gemonta Jackson 6 18 3.0 14 0
Isaiah Spencer 2 5 2.5 5 0
Darrell Brown 1 4 4.0 4 0
Miles Fox 1 -4 -4.0 0 0
Blake LaRussa 22 -55 -2.5 20 1
Totals 163 503 3.1 40 9

This makes the Va Tech game even more of a head-scratcher.  If we don't find our way against the Monarchs, I agree the rest of the season could be bleak.  ODU is also giving up an average of 36 points a game on defense, so I ***think*** we see a rebound by the offense this week and a double-digit FAU win.
Back to the top

Cox is the type of player that has historically given us trouble. The defense is athletic but they are very weak tacklers. Cox is nothing if not a powerful runner. 

I hope that someday FAU can get some guys that can lay the wood. I know it’s not politically correct anymore and I’m not advocating for injuries, but FAU really needs an enforcer. I couldn’t help but think that maybe Stockstill wouldn’t have had so many runs last week if he was worried about getting popped at the end of it. 
Back to the top

Back to the top

walty12 said

Francois said

The one things that was frustrating for me…
Posted On: Oct 5th 2018, 9:41 AM #381659
Last year we had a lot of draw runs on 3rd and long that picked up first downs.  

Those aren’t there for us anymore.  We have to find a way to a vertical passing game defenses have to respect.  Or Motor will have more 3.5 YPC games.
Posted On: Oct 5th 2018, 10:25 AM #381660

I absolutely agree with you about the passing game. We have to take more shots downfield to make them pull back a little bit.

Regarding the running game: they brought up a good point on the podcast about Kerrith Whyte doing well since he's a different type of runner and has been able to get us yards when we need it.

So one idea might be to switch from Motor to Whyte in 3rd/4th down situations. You know, run Motor for 1st or second down, switch to Whyte if you fail to pick up the first down, switch back to Motor when you're in the red zone.
Back to the top
Control functions: