Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 C-USA Bowl Games Thread

Add topic

FINAL:

North Texas 13  Utah State 52

The Mean Green can't get it going on offense, while Fine is roughed up, re-aggravates his hamstring and exits in the first half.
Back to the top

MTSU destroyed as well! 13-45 to Belt App. St.!

Heck of a Conference we finished 3-5 in!
Back to the top

Just lol to C-USA last night. And to think that is supposed to be our better teams this year 
Back to the top

WHAT?? 26-97 VS. GROUP OF 5 COMPETITION NOT TOO BAD IS IT??? :Big-Grin:  :Laughing:
Back to the top

Sunbelt looks stronger then C-USA at this point. App State has found the secret we've been searching for.  They look good.
Back to the top

App St is a very good. They have had consistent success spanning multiple coaches. They have a great culture and the small town they are in buys in to the program whole heartedly. C-USA needs a good year in basketball and baseball because we are certainly the worst in football at the moment. 
Back to the top

C-USA is FAR better than Sunbelt in Baseball.  Every season, the top teams, FAU, FIU, Rice, So Miss, MTSU, Charlotte, field quality teams.  Kiffin needs to figure out how to consistantly win if he wants to move on to the big time. He isn't ready yet.
Back to the top

I believe you about baseball but doesn’t the sun belt have coastal Carolina? They won it all just a couple years ago. Regardless I think we can agree that football is the big sport and CUSA doesn’t have anyone that is carrying the torch these days. I guess at least Marshall and La Tech are consistent. 
Back to the top

Not to beat my NC ties into the ground, but App State would have won CUSA, and the other top SunBelt teams would have probably been very competitive and towards the top of our conference standings.

App has won 41 games in the last 4 years, have been to a bowl game all 4 years they have been eligible (they are a fairly recent FBS transition), and they have won all 4 of those bowl games.  They were ranked earlier this season, and have a historic upset win over Michigan back when they were winning 3 FCS championships in a row.  Yes - somebody is doing something right in Boone, NC.  I expect them to be a 9 win team or better again in 2019.

As for Coastal Carolina, they had not transitioned yet to FBS football and they won their national championship coming out of the Big South Conference (an FCS football league, but still a D1 league who plays in the big tournaments for basketball and baseball).
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Not to beat my NC ties into the ground, but App State would have won CUSA, and the other top SunBelt teams would have probably been very competitive and towards the top of our conference standings.

App has won 41 games in the last 4 years, have been to a bowl game all 4 years they have been eligible (they are a fairly recent FBS transition), and they have won all 4 of those bowl games.  They were ranked earlier this season, and have a historic upset win over Michigan back when they were winning 3 FCS championships in a row.  Yes - somebody is doing something right in Boone, NC.  I expect them to be a 9 win team or better again in 2019.

As for Coastal Carolina, they had not transitioned yet to FBS football and they won their national championship coming out of the Big South Conference (an FCS football league, but still a D1 league who plays in the big tournaments for basketball and baseball).
Posted On: Dec 17th 2018, 7:59 AM #384252
I totally agree, App st., Troy and also a few years ago Georgia Southern all have proven to play Power 5 teams hard even getting upsets along with keeping stable winning programs.  Our setbacks were no stadium, terrible scheduling, a small following for the school and a dumb AD like Angelos.  We should be further ahead, I remember when we won back to back bowl games in 2007 and 2008, we were up and coming and then went dormant for 10 years.  Schools like UCF and USF emerged and continually had belter success and we were a forgotten program.  I believe there is a system that these schools implement for example Troy,  from coach  Blakeney to Neil Brown their teams continually kept playing good against power 5 teams and winning conference titles.  Tbh when the moves to CUSA was made at that point Troy was more successful and we got in with FIU which seems like a gift. I have always said this but we are like the Mets, letdown after letdown, and then 2017 happened and it was Amazing lol.  I am glad we did not go to a bowl game because we would have gotten demolished by both Utah St. and App. st., they are better teams all around and it would have been a huge setback for our program.  Going forward we need to change the identity of this team, I don't believe we will be as explosive and blow people out like when Briles was here.  I am hoping this defense coordinator can change our play overall.  The teams I mentioned aren't blowing people out offensively but their defense is getting takeaway's, pick  6's and sacks, thus providing more scoring opportunities on that side of the ball.  If our defense was better at the beginning of the season we may have won the closer games.  We need to play solid and now that most of Charlie's guys are leaving we get to see what Kiffin brings in.  Charlie had the intangibles, but couldn't piece it together, now its Lane's turn.  If he doesn't figure it out, this will be his last chance.

Back to the top
Control functions: