Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ BCU - December 1, 2018

Add topic

What: Florida Atlantic (6-1) vs. Bethune-Cookman (3-4)

When: Saturday, December 1st, @ 4:00 PM Eastern

Where: Moore Gymnasium

Series: Owls own a slight 2-1 advantage over the Wildcats, with FAU winning last year's contest 93-75.

TV: None

Live Video: CatEye Network�*FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Bethune-Cookman Team Site: Here

Bethune-Cookman at a Glance:

Offense - 75.4 PPG, 45% FG, 27% 3PT

Defense - 70.1 PPGA, 39% FGA, 31% 3PTA

Rebounding - 44.3 RPG BCU, 36.7 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Wildcats are taking names to avenge their disappointing conclusion to the 2017-2018 season. Going into the MEAC Tournament with a 11-4 conference record, BCU was seen as one of the favorites to punch a ticket to the NCAA Tournament, but an opening round loss to Morgan State dashed any dreams of Dancing in Daytona. One team on their avenge list is Florida Atlantic, who will take the short drive up I-95 to visit Florida's historic private-HBCU.

At the guard position, the Wildcats are led by #1 Milik Maitland, who is shooting a stellar 46% from the field, including 41% from beyond the arch. BCU has been able to dominate the paint thanks to #10 Cletrell Pope, who is second on the team in average minutes played with 25.1, despite playing off the bench. He averages a double-double with 11 PPG and 10 RPG.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 80.3 PPG, 46% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 68.6 PPGA, 43% FGA, 31% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.9 RPG Owls, 31.3 RPG Opponents

Notables

What a start it has been for first-time Head Coach Dusty May, who has instilled life back in The Burrow. Off to their best start in program history, the Owls will see another early in-state road test at Bethune-Cookman. FAU soundly beat BCU in last year's meeting, but that is a moot point with both sides featuring many new faces.

That being said, FAU's leader is not one of those new faces, as SF Jailyn Ingram is one of the three holdovers from Michael Curry's 2017-2018 squad. The Junior from Madison, Georgia leads the team in PPG (18.1), RPG (8.1), second in FG% with a minimum of 25 attempts (54%), and minutes-per-game (27.7). Ingram and the rest of the Forwards will have their hands full against a BCU side that owns a +8 rebounds differential.

Latest Line FAU -3

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Very much looking forward to today`s matchup. It will be a good road test for the Owls.  Hoping to see a strong game today from transfer F Xavian Stapleton, who has struggled with consistency since joining the Owls.  Today`s game will be a good opportunity for someone to step up off the bench, as the Owls have yet to find a true 6th man.  The team has had to rely on Ingram, Stapleton, and Sebree for the bulk of its scoring.  It would be great to have a spark off the bench and we roll towards conference play.  Could it be someone like Richardson Maitre who emerges off the bench? We will see. Bethune Cookman has a very deep rotation. They are able to keep guys fresh. Bethune is very experienced as well, with 6 seniors on the roster.  Being a strong road team is very important if FAU wants to be a contender in CUSA this year.  It outta be a good one.
Back to the top

I feel like Anthony Adger is the guy that can get hot and play off of Ingram. But I appreciate that the coach has been willing to let a lot of guys get into the game and try to see what they can produce. That’s also a good strategy in this day and age where players are quick to transfer. 
Back to the top

I know, it may be premature but I think we are a dark horse for a tourney berth
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2018, 12:55 PM #383857

Let's beat Miami, then we'll talk.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2018, 12:55 PM #383857

Let's beat Miami, then we'll talk.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2018, 12:58 PM #383858

That and Illinois. If we can split those, I think we have a good shot
Back to the top

Anyone know how to tune into today’s game aside from radio?
Back to the top

BCC site.. It's listed in the preview up top (that you should read) :) 
Back to the top

We're moments away from the one D1 arena thats quirkier than our Burrow.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

We're moments away from the one D1 arena thats quirkier than our Burrow.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2018, 4:01 PM #383862

What makes you say that??

Back to the top
Control functions: