Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: Mercer @ FAU - December 5, 2018

Add topic

Owls return to The Burrow to take on a struggling Mercer squad.

What: Mercer (4-4) vs. Florida Atlantic (6-2)

When: Wednesday, December 5th, @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: FAU Arena

Series: The Bears and Owls have evenly split their previous 20 meetings.

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Mercer Team Site:
Here

Mercer at a Glance:

Offense - 77.8 PPG, 45% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 64.1 PPGA, 39% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.9 RPG Bears, 34.5 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Mercer Bears will bring their 4-4 record to the Burrow this Wednesday in hopes to snap a recent 0-2 skid vs. D1 opponents. While MU no longer carries the quality they possessed to upset Duke in the 2014 NCAA Tournament, Head Coach Bob Hoffman has turned Mercer into a perennial postseason program.

Mercer's small-ball style of play may lack a strong leader in points and rebounding, but that is not because of a lack of talent. Their backcourt is led by Ross Cummings (SG, #20), who leads the team in PPG with 14.9, including a 43% 3FG percentage. Not far behind is Serbian Djordje Dimitrijevic (PG, #0) with 13.8 PPG and an impressive 31 total assists on the year. Along the boards, Ethan Stair (G, #22) leads the team in rebounds with 6.5 RPG. That fact that a guard leads the team in rebounds shows how much Hoffman relies on the ever-growing small-ball style of basketball.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 79 PPG, 45% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 69 PPGA, 43% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.9 RPG Owls, 32.6 RPG Opponents

Notables

It was bound to happen sooner-or-later: With the absence of PF Xavian Stapleton, the Owls dropped their first game in five tries. Career scoring  highs from Jailyn Ingram and Anthony Adger was not enough to hold FAU's comeback against Bethune-Cookman.

Look for Head Coach Dusty May to exploit Mercer's smaller lineup. While it is unknown if PF Stapleton will return from his knee injury in time for the contest, expect all of FAU's big men to have better than average days, including Ingram.

Latest Line: FAU -2

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I've got Mercer by a point…

HOPE I am wrong.
Back to the top

We're a little less than a half an hour away from tip-off. Students will get this AWESOME shirt for their attendance tonight.

Back to the top

Some big changes to tonight's starting lineups. Just got word that Stapleton is still out, so expect Sebree and Ingram to rotate at PF position. Maitre comes in to replace Michael Forrest.

Back to the top

It's the Battle of Who Sucks Most right now…

:Yawn2:  :Big-Grin:  :Goodbye:  :Not-Talking:  :Winking:
Back to the top

Mercer scores six in the last minute and a half. Owls haven't scored in three minutes. That'll kill any early momentum the Owls might have had.

Back to the top

Owls are playing better of late, but holy cow these turnovers are killer. Ingram has five turnovers himself.

Back to the top

My eyes are burning. Ingram has started to play better though….

Back to the top

Halftime at The Burrow. Owls defense has stepped up in the final 7 minutes of the first half. But the story so far is how Ingram struggled early, just to lead all players in points and FG%.

Back to the top

Owls hold on to their 10 point lead as he hit the first media stoppage of the second half.

Back to the top
Control functions: