Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Early Signing Period Positives and Questions

Add topic

The first day of the Early Signing Period should be considered a success by any standards for FAU. The Owls inked nine of their 15 known commits including running back Kelvin Dean, who will be announced Friday. Lane Kiffin was able to secure some of the top names on his board while filing some big needs, but some questions still remain moving forward.

The Positive

With new defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer bringing in his 3-3-5 defensive scheme and the graduations of linebackers Azzez Al-Shaair and Andrew Sorach, FAU had a major need at a position. Spencer handled it by signing five linebackers: Diamante Howard, Joe Lewis, Eddie Willimas,  Antarrius Moultrie, and Caliph Brice. Bringing in multiple linebackers with multiple skill sets will give the Spencer flexibility he needs to run his scheme.

Two of the biggest unknowns coming into the day was what was going to happen with defensive back Dwight Toombs (photo) and tight ends Rahmond Smith. Both ended up signing with the Owls which should be considered a win. Smith adds important depth to a position that will graduate two seniors next season. Toombs was so much of a priority that he told John Santucci of TCPalm that Dr. John Kelly called to tell him he was needed after his visit.

The Questions

The day came and went with no news on the quarterback front for the Owls. Javion Posey, a dual-threat talent out of Alabama, was considering signing after a recent in-home visit with offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, but no announcement came. This leaves the status of longtime local quarterback commit Gio Richardsson still up in the air heading into the dead period.

After being critical of the wide receivers all season, FAU only signed one wideout in junior college transfer Adrian Bryant. New wide receivers coach DJ McCarthry will have his work cut out for him as the Owls apparently want to add two or three more wideouts this cycle.

Another position that seemed to not be addressed was the defensive line. The Owls hold just one commit there from end Travon Thomas, but he is waiting for a test score so he can sign in February. Many schools found out the hard way last year that quality defensive linemen were hard to come by after the Early Signing Period.

Not locking down a couple targets on their board now leaves FAU at risk to have to battle out P5 schools looking to fill last second spots.
Back to the top

Solid work. Wasn’t aware Spencer runs 3-3-5. Should be fun to watch. Really gotta rely on the LBs plugging those holes. Never had a class of 5 LBs I thought could all step in day 1. Exciting stuff. And the only JUCO lb has 3 years eligibility left. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Me either, even the Charlotte game note for our game shows a 4-3 depth chart, though it is easy to list that but play a DE in a stand up role. What did they do to be so strong vs. the run this year???
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Me either, even the Charlotte game note for our game shows a 4-3 depth chart, though it is easy to list that but play a DE in a stand up role. What did they do to be so strong vs. the run this year???
Posted On: Dec 20th 2018, 1:08 PM #384323

The 3-3-5 might not be listed per say, but it's just a way do FAU to use the type of player they have the most of.

FAU's will always be able to fins smaller LB's who can run and lots of DB's. The type of D allows us to get more of the good players we have the most of on the field.

I love this D for FAU!

This is the video of when UNCC played at UT last year and played really well. Watch and learn how they run the 3-3-5.  It's fun!  ( I understand, I am a complete defensive football nerd and watching UNCC vs a 3-5 UT might not be fun for all :Laughing: )

)
Back to the top

Wouldn’t 3-3-5 require or at least encourage the use of more big bodied lineman? I know that normally 3-4 defense hinge quite a bit on having a strong nose tackle. Our defensive lineman are a little on the light side at the moment. I can see where the defensive backs & rangy linebackers would fit our personnel nicely. 
Back to the top

Jefferson IS big at least!
Back to the top

Jefferson, southall, mccary, Davis, Cameron, Hayes. <— that’s a LOT of beef for the front 3. And that’s only DTs! 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Looks like a much stronger early signing period compared to last year (on paper).
Back to the top

Jefferson definitely has size. If he is anything he’s a big dude lol. I’m just wondering how the defensive line will be composed 3-3-5 isn’t a typical defense. It tends to resemble a nickel defense which lets us put more of our talented DBs on the field but the line needs to hold up or it can get ugly. 
Back to the top

The Dow is down 464 today guys my portfolio continues to take a beating like Lane #SellOff #ShortIt #EggNog #Bourbon
Back to the top
Control functions: