Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin Interviews for Houston Position

He is an article with list of top 5 candidates for WVU;

5 candidates to replace Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia

Coach K not on the list.
Back to the top

At the moment, I don't think the Owls are in any danger of losing Kiffin unless he all of the sudden wants to go back to being an OC (which I don't see ANY chance of).  I think he has to prove for an extended time (3+ years) he can run a program successfully.  Based on this past year's coaching I'll let you guys decide if that timeframe in Boca is a good or bad thing.

The one thing we do know is that with many of the same players the team way under-achieved.  That seems mostly because of the coaching turnover, depth issues, and very poor halftime adjustments - all things the head coach is ultimately responsible for.  Losing some good players, if FAU suffers through a similar 2019, I'd say Lane is on the G5 level for a very long time.  I don't think he was a serious contender for the jobs after last year's break-out, so I would think he isn't even on the way-off radar for any decent jobs after missing a bowl game.

The good news is it would seem Lane is most likely coaching for his future in 2019 and 2020 (maybe beyond) in Boca.
Back to the top

I also don’t think we need to worry about losing Kiffin to another head coaching job. The pay bump wouldn’t be that astronomical for some of these G5 schools that could possibly offer him a job. But the P5 will eventually come calling I would suppose, but not for a couple years or next year if he gets this team rolling again.
Back to the top

I have been saying this and I still believe Kiffin stays at least 4 years. Last year was a setback and tbh this year will be as well.
If we are looking to win games we do need to switch our philosophy and a better defensive approach may make a difference.  Kiffin has burned bridges and will always be looked at as a tough hire by any school except for us.  He needs to show sustained success at a program to even be given any consideration.  We need signature wins and sustainability to build a brand,  last year was disappointing with all the hype and players that came back. We need to aspire to be like a UCF, even if Kiffin leaves one day, we can continue our upward trend  with newer coaches and keep the system going.
Back to the top

Kiff shoots it down!

Back to the top

If anything it was just formalities.  Lanes agent keeping Kiffins name out there, and Houston trying to act like their actually giving a fair opportunity for the opening.  Fertitta and Houston had this position filled for almost a month now.  lol.  
Back to the top
Control functions: