Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ UAB - January 3, 2019

Add topic

Owls to kickoff CUSA play against UAB

What: FAU (9-4) vs. UAB (8-5)

When: Thursday, Jan. 2nd @ 8:00 PM Eastern

Where: Bartow Arena

Series: The Blazers own a 6-2 advantage over the Owls, with UAB winning the most recent contest 83-72 in the First Round of the 2018 C-USA Tournament.

TV: None

Live Video: ESPN+ (FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

UAB Team Site: Here

Blazers at a Glance:

Offense – 70.8 PPG, 45% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 67.5 PPGA, 42% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.7 PG, 30.5 PG Opponents

Notables

UAB are losers of three of their last four games vs. Division I opponents. Take that with a grain of salt, as the Blazers dropped rivalry games against Memphis, #8 Auburn (OT), and Troy. While the Blazers are still struggling to find their form, that tough stretch could be the perfect wake-up call for a program that is used to competing for conference championships.

While big men William Lee and Chris Cokley are no longer with UAB, the Blazers still rely heavily on their ability to dominate inside the paint and along the boards. The Blazers rank #2 in CUSA in offensive rebounds, which in turn brings their opponent’s rebounding down to a conference best 30.5 RPG. Leading the team in rebounds is Lewis Sullivan. He has 81 total boards this season, good for 6.2 RPG. His 10.2 points per game makes him the Blazer’s third best scorer.

The Blazer back court is supported by a pair of guards that average double digits in scoring, while also collecting over three rebounds per game adding to the Blazer’s stellar rebounding efforts. Florida born Zack Bryant leads the team with 13.2 PPG and 43 assists. SG Jalen Perry shoots a stellar 41% from the three-point arch en route to average 11.9 PPG.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 75.0 PPG, 42% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 69.3 PPGA, 40% FGA, 29% 3PTA

Rebounding - 42.3 PG, 36.0 PG Opponents

Notables

Florida Atlantic is on leg three of its foru game road stint. The Owls enter conference play coming off a 73-71 overtime victory at Illinois. The result earned FAU some notoriety within the college basketball world, including from Dick Vitale, who named Dusty may his Coach of the Week,

Anthony Adger had a career-high 27 points and Madiaw Niang had his first career double-double (12 points, 14 rebounds) in the victory.

Dusty May’s squad is 8-1 when out-rebounding their opponents. Being able to out-rebound the Blazers will be a challenge, especially considering the injury plagued Forwards and Center positions.

FAU big men Madiaw Niang and Simeon Lepichev will have to have big days in order for the Owls to win their first ever game at Bartow Arena.

PF Xavian Stapleton is still listed as questionable after his injury against FGCU. Center Karlis Silins should be good-to-go after sitting out the Illinois game.

Opening Line: FAU +6.5

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

If the Owls play the way they did against Illinois, we're going to win for the first time in Birmingham.

Second half shooting was key, we need to play evenly for both periods and crash the boards.
Back to the top

Big game tonight as FAU opens up conference play at UAB.

Things I am keeping an eye on tonight.

- Taking care of the basketball.  The Owls have had problems controlling the basketball so far this season. FAU rank 328th nationally in turnovers per game with 16. The team is relatively inexperienced at guard with the exception of Anthony Adger.  The Owls must control the ball in transition and not play sloppy in the half court.

- Production from F Jaylen Sebree. Arguably the biggest recruit from Dusty May`s first class has struggled with offensive consistency.  He has been battling an ankle injury recently, but tonight would be a great opportunity for a good showing in the conference opener. Someone has to step up with the loss of F Jailyn Ingram and his offensive production.  Why not the former IMG Academy star?

- Perimeter play.  The Owls have gotten off to a awful start at shooting the basketball from deep so far this season.  Hopefully G Anthony Adger can get into rhythm early. As the Owls rank 284th in Division 1 in 3 point percentage.

-The emergence of F Madiaw Niang. The true freshmen broke out last game in the upset victory over Illinois (12 points, 14 rebounds). Can he keep this up? UAB has some length, with two near 7 footers on their roster. (Freshmen Tameli Pearson/ Sophomore Makhtar Gueye).  Will be interesting to see how Niang stacks up against other conference big men.

Should be a great game from Birmingham, Alabama
Back to the top

Owls will have the opportunity to hit double digit wins by January for the first time since the 2012-2013 season.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Rick and Ryan hit the nail on the head. Owls can win with a strong effort along the boards. If Niang can repeat his effort from Illinois, then hold on to your shorts, because the Dusty May hype train will be full speed ahead going to Murfreesboro.

Back to the top

Anyone got an espn+ account? 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Not to mention MTSU is not the same since Davis left…

We could beat them both and be at 2-0 coming off a road swing to start.

(let that sink in).
Back to the top

Expect Forrest and Adger to alternate between the #1 & #2 slots. If UAB wasn't so big, I would expect Niang to pivot towards the #5, but we're going to need as many big bodies as possible. The key for the big men will be staying out of foul trouble.

Head Coach Dusty May said tonight will be "an all out war" down low.

Back to the top

NJOWL said

Anyone got an espn+ account? 
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2019, 7:59 PM #384522

You can sign up with a free 7-day trail, perfect for this little road trip. Just be sure to cancel it this weekend so you don't get charged the $4.99

Back to the top

Rick said

Not to mention MTSU is not the same since Davis left…

We could beat them both and be at 2-0 coming off a road swing to start.

(let that sink in).
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2019, 7:59 PM #384523

FIU is taking it to the Blue Raiders right now. Not trying to put FIU down right now, as they are looking solid, but this isn't the same MTSU program at all.

Back to the top

Rick said

If the Owls play the way they did against Illinois, we're going to win for the first time in Birmingham.

Second half shooting was key, we need to play evenly for both periods and crash the boards.
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2019, 3:06 PM #384517

The Owls need to improve offensively from the Illinois game. FAU’s defense was great especially the defensive rebounding. 
FAU missed numerous layups and shots in the paint. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: