Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ #30 Miami - Feb 20th, 2019

Add topic

FAU Baseball to Face First Big Challenge of Young Season at Miami

What: Florida Atlantic (3-0) at Miami (3-0)

Where: Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field

Series: The Hurricanes hold a 62-17 all-time series over the Owls. However, FAU swept Miami in the 2018 season series.

Video: ACC Network Extra (with subscription)

Radio: YouTube

Stats: Here

Miami Team Site: Here

Projected Starting Pitchers:

FAU - Hunter Cooley Fr. LHP (1-0, 0.00)
UM - Slade Cecconi Fr. RHP (0-0, 0.00)

Owls at a Glance:

FAU is amidst a hot start after an opening series sweep against Cincinnati, in which the Owls outscored the Bearcats by a combined score of 22-10. All 22 of last weekend's runs came as the Owls faced two outs.

A notable player to look out for in this game is FAU freshman BJ Murray, who had a great weekend offensively, hitting a two-run homer in his collegiate debut.

Eric Rivera has dominated UM during his FAU career. He has 9 RBI in six career games against the Hurricanes. He also hit a 9th inning grand slam on Miami’s home field last season to cap off a six-run inning and huge seven-run comeback for the Owls.

Starting on the mound will be freshman Hunter Cooley, who saw some action in Saturday's game against Cincinnati. The Vero Beach HS product came in to relieve Mike Ruff for 1.1 IP, just enough time for the Owls to score the go-ahead runs in the sixth inning.

The Owls are receiving votes in the NCBWA poll.

Hurricanes at a Glance:

Miami Head Coach Gino DiMare made his debut with the Hurricanes last weekend, replacing coaching legend Jim Morris. The Canes swept Rutgers with scores of 19-3, 7-1, and 9-3.

Miami freshman Adrian Del Castillo also had an impressive weekend, hitting clutch a two-run, bases loaded double in the bottom of the 8th as well as racking up three RBI in the same game.

Gino DiMare wants to make sure his Hurricanes take the Owls seriously. In an interview this weekend with the Miami Herald, he mentioned FAU sweeping the Hurricanes last season, and that mid-week out-of-conference games carry more weight than some would think, saying “I kind of put that in their heads, that these mid-week games last year is what kept us out of the NCAA tournament.”

DiMare will put his trust in true freshman Slade Cecconi, whose 2.0 IP Saturday vs. Rutgers yielded 2 H, 0 R, and 2 K. The Oviedo native was drafted in the 38th round of the MLB Draft by the Baltimore Orioles.

The Hurricanes currently sit at #30 on the Collegiate Top 30.
Back to the top

We're underway from Coral Gables!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Miami makes FAU pay for their mistakes, plating four unearned runs.

Back to the top

Owls cut the deficit in half, but not without some controversy. A bang-bang play occurs as Cecconi applies a tag on Montes, who attempted to take home after a wild pitch. Cecconi completely missed Montes, hitting the ground between Montes' leg and arm, but the umpires call him out.

Back to the top

Yikes, these umpires missing calls left and right as UM stretches their lead back to four again.

Back to the top

Its just not our night tonight y'all.

Back to the top

Whew. Thankful that's over with. A lot of lessons learned from this young squad, especially defensively.

Owls will regroup and try again Friday against Illinois.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

We need to correct those defensive  errors. One loss. Move on.
Back to the top

I’m in the Kiwanis club here in my town with a few UI grads. I did a little bragging and predicted a sweep this morning at our weekly breakfast meeting. I did bring up the basketball win as well. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I’m in the Kiwanis club here in my town with a few UI grads. I did a little bragging and predicted a sweep this morning at our weekly breakfast meeting. I did bring up the basketball win as well. 
Posted On: Feb 21st 2019, 10:24 AM #385283

Hope the team backs you up. Played an ugly one last night, youth showed! And of course UM had an agenda after last year. Gotta play clean baseball to win guys, BASICS!
Back to the top
Control functions: