Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

REGIONAL THREAD: Athens, GA May 31st - June 3rd, 2019

Add topic

FAU baseball's opener at the Athens Regional was a slugfest, featuring nine combined home runs, and unfortunately the Owls were outslugged by Florida State, in a 13-7 final at Foley Field.

“You know, it’s an offensive game", said Head Coach John McCormack. It’s no secret we needed to pitch better."

Florida State (37-21) got the scoring started with three homers in a five-run second, and never trailed in the win. The Owls cut it to 5-2 (on a Bobby Morgensen home run), and 6-3 (a solo homer by Joe Montes), but FSU got their fourth round-tripper for an 8-3 advantage heading into the bottom of the sixth.

FAU responded by loading the bases with no outs, but FSU was able to wriggle out of it, giving up just two run-scoring groundouts and getting a strikeout to end the threat.

"I thought the turning point in the game was bottom of the sixth, bases loaded and we had nobody out", said McCormack. "We only scored two runs, and they got out of the inning. That really gave them some breathing room and kind of put us on our heels a little bit.”

After both teams scored twice in the seventh, making it 10-7 (on FAU’s side, it was another two-run shot by Morgensen), the eighth was a rare scoreless frame on each side. Up three, the Seminoles tacked on three more in the top half of the ninth for the final margin. The Owls (40-20) were retired in order in their final turn.

The only other multi-hit Owl was Francisco Urbaez, going 2-for-4 with a single, double and run scored.

The Owls will face either Georgia or Mercer in a must-win game on Saturday, at 1:00 PM.
Back to the top

Looks like the Owls will be facing the Bears tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

Mercer starter didn't get out of the first, giving up four, and his replacement surrenders a grand slam, still not out of the inning.

Ouch.

8-0 Dawgs Bot 1st.

That is all.
Back to the top

FAU Baseball is groundhogs day.
Back to the top

Feel bad for Mercer…a homerun was pushed over the wall by the fielder's glove or it would have stayed in. Aaron Schunk, who I mentioned in the preview, has smacked two bombs now, and the Dawgs are up 13-0 after just three innings.
Back to the top

FINAL:

Georgia 13  Mercer 3

Owls will face the Bears tomorrow at 1:00 PM for Game 3 (elimination) of the Athens Regional.

No word on a starter for FAU as of yet, still TBA.

Will update when known.

2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Jacob Josey will be on the bump for the Owls against Mercer. See you then! 
Back to the top

Risky coaching move.My guess is coach figures we can out score Mercer  . Then save our hottest pitcher for the next game. Time will tell.
Back to the top

2019 Athens Regional (2) FAU vs. (4) Mercer

What:      (2) FAU vs. (4) Mercer

When:     Sat, June 1st at 1:00 PM

Where:    Foley Field

Stream:   ESPN3

Stats:      Here

Projected Pitchers:

FAU -  RHP Jacob Josey (1-0, 4.15)
MER - RHP Sawyer Gipson Long (8-3, 4.90)

Both teams will be starting their Sunday guys today in an effort to preserve the middle series hurlers for a possible Sunday match-up.
Back to the top

We néed 10 plus runs today. I would love another shot at fsu
Back to the top

Not to derail the thread, but did you notice USM obliterated ASU?

Wow, I mean obliterated.

Of course LSU did the same to Stony Brook, so they will match against the Tigers tonight. Should be an interesting game.
Back to the top
Control functions: