Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 FALL CAMP: Scrimmage Thread 8-17-19

Moved up due to weather, that ended up getting them anyway…

:Rainning:
Back to the top

If Rivas hit a 52 yarder...... dance your butt off. Way to go!!!
Back to the top

Local Owl said

If Rivas hit a 52 yarder…… dance your butt off. Way to go!!!
Posted On: Aug 17th 2019, 3:25 PM #387625

Not just a 52 yarder…but also a 47 yarder.

:Hug:

I may be eating crow on his return…
Back to the top

Good for him and good for us.  I love  baked crow.
Back to the top

I was there most of the scrimmage. Here are a few of my observations:

- Robison looks like our guy. Very good command of the offense and seems to have the best arm of all the QBs.

- Posey looked more like our number two than Tronti today. I was very impressed with the Freshman. Assuming Chris stays through his Senior Year and we redshirt Posey, he will be Junior when his time comes. Very good arm and incredible speed and athleticism.

- The RBs had a tough day. Not many holes to run though. Perhaps the O-Line will be a weakness this year but I’m also not sure how long the starting unit played together there could have been some of the backups in for playing time. Malcom Davidson had some nice moments early in the scrimmage and showed some surprising power running with the ball.

- The Defense looks more in sync so far and delivered a bunch of big hits and forced some turnovers from Chauncey Mason. The front seven showed physicality and the secondary looked good swarming to the ball for the most part although there were a few breakdowns in coverage.

- Harrison Bryant is our best receiver bar none with John Mitchell a distant but solid second. Not sure what to make of the pass catchers after that though. Brandon Robinson and Ronald Patterson made their share of plays but it’s hard to pinpoint how this unit is going to fare. Willie Wright seems to be disappearing more and more.

- Valdi Rivas looks primed for a breakout campaign. Very impressive leg strength on two really long FGs that he wouldn’t hit last year 

- We May have lost our Punter Reilla for the season. Took a really bad hit on a fake FG option looks like he tore his ACL. Not sure what the depth is behind him
Back to the top

I wanted to go but woke up early to go fishing. Them got forced into drinking at Two George's. Im too old for this. I need foorball season to start. Got my ticket package in the mail.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

I was there most of the scrimmage. Here are a few of my observations:

- Robison looks like our guy. Very good command of the offense and seems to have the best arm of all the QBs.

- Posey looked more like our number two than Tronti today. I was very impressed with the Freshman. Assuming Chris stays through his Senior Year and we redshirt Posey, he will be Junior when his time comes. Very good arm and incredible speed and athleticism.

- The RBs had a tough day. Not many holes to run though. Perhaps the O-Line will be a weakness this year but I’m also not sure how long the starting unit played together there could have been some of the backups in for playing time. Malcom Davidson had some nice moments early in the scrimmage and showed some surprising power running with the ball.

- The Defense looks more in sync so far and delivered a bunch of big hits and forced some turnovers from Chauncey Mason. The front seven showed physicality and the secondary looked good swarming to the ball for the most part although there were a few breakdowns in coverage.

- Harrison Bryant is our best receiver bar none with John Mitchell a distant but solid second. Not sure what to make of the pass catchers after that though. Brandon Robinson and Ronald Patterson made their share of plays but it’s hard to pinpoint how this unit is going to fare. Willie Wright seems to be disappearing more and more.

- Valdi Rivas looks primed for a breakout campaign. Very impressive leg strength on two really long FGs that he wouldn’t hit last year 

- We May have lost our Punter Reilla for the season. Took a really bad hit on a fake FG option looks like he tore his ACL. Not sure what the depth is behind him
Posted On: Aug 17th 2019, 5:12 PM #387629

This is pretty much spot on what my thoughts are as well.

Very happy to see Robison settling in and making good decisions as well as solid throws.  Tronti had a rough day.

Main worry walking away is the o-line.  Struggled all day and we know what our history is with injuries.

Robison to Bryant for the TD!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Sounds like Chris is finally getting it together. I'm just speculating but I think kiffin wants to temper his ego by keeping the QB battle open. Chris has incredible potential if he keeps improving and stops goofing around like he's been for the past two years
Back to the top

The thing that I will be watching is if Chris can do what the good college qb's do. Check thru the progression. Don't just throw to the primary receiver. In order for this to occure, he MUST have time. I'm excited to see what out coaches have worked on since last season.
Back to the top

I think that Robison went through his reads well the whole year. I noted against OU that he was progressing through his reads. However, the receivers didn't get open. I think that if our receivers still struggle there's nothing Robison can do. It just seems like if we have bad receivers and his numbers aren't good, he'll get all the blame again. Whatever "freshman mistakes" he had, I guarantee he'll make those same "mistakes" if the receivers still can't catch. Because they really weren't freshman mistakes. It was all to do with the receivers who can't catch
Back to the top
Control functions: