Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations- OSU Game

Like I said in the previous post for the game we needed a few things to occur to make this game watchable. We did get takeaways, we did have defensive stops and overall closed drives later on in the game.  We also did cover like I mentioned, it takes a whole game to see the big picture.  Spencer’s defense will do amazing in CUSA, our kicking was a weapon for once as Rivas looked great and our Australian punter did flip the field many times. Robison had a few moments where his talent that would’ve been showcased at OU emerged. I miss Singletary but also Emmons, we may not know his true potential. I think Mcgammon and Charles were solid, they will be great complimentary backs to move the sticks.  Motor was special, White was special, if we had him still then the playbook expands even more. Overall I was so mad at the score earlier,  but I believed in Spencer’s schemes, Fields got hit hard on a lot of plays.  The one hit Leroy put on him kind of straightened him out. This UCF game is the biggest in school history, finally a ranked opponent at home especially a Florida rival will make this an all-timer for us. Look to see the dual qb looks again. Our guys are hungry, and will play their hearts out.
Back to the top

I'm not disappointed with this game. After all, OSU is ranked #5. They are obviously fast and are good players. As fast as Willie Wright is he couldn't get around them to the outside. We didn't get beat up as bad as GA Tech, USF, or Duke but South Alabama hung in there with Nebraska.  We should do well in CUSA this year. Hopefully at Ball State also since I will be there.
The punter is good!!

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

after today's second half, I'm not sure there are many FAU fans that don't believe if we play well, we won't win next week…..I'm almost more impressed with the resilience than the actual performance…..that shows me something when we can play like that after being down 28 almost off the bat…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

UCF was very impressive in their game, but of course it was against FAMU.  I still expect it to be a very tall order for the Owls to knock off the Knights, but I feel a whole lot better about how the team can compete after the last 3 quarters than I did after the first quarter!

No idea how things will play out, but Kiffin made references about the Wisconsin performance vs the OU performance the last 2 years.  This clearly felt much more like the Wisconsin game where the team might have some stumbles, but they are moving in the right direction, you can see the potential, and kids really kept playing hard.  That will pay dividends through the CUSA games. 
Back to the top

Biggest equalizer vs. UCF this year; Wimbush is NO Milton, not even close!!! WE have a shot!
Back to the top

The first quarter looked like it was going to be a 70 plus point game for OSU. The Owls did a nice job of adjusting and settling down. FAU won the last 3 quarters on the scoreboard even with OSU starters in the whole game. The stats also show a solid performance with 17 first downs and almost 228 yards of total offense. Not great, but this was accomplished in the final 3 quarters of play as the Owls did very little in the 1st.

I think UCF is going to be a great test to see how much was learned in week one and what that means for the remainder of the season.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I think UCF is absolutely winnable. Their starting D is nowhere near as good as Ohio State's so we'll definitely be able to score on them. Our running backs need to grow a little but our passing game is looking fantastic. I wish we had like 2-3 more WRs and we'd storm thru Conf-USA

I think Wimbush is quite overrated. He was struggling and missed a ton of open passes against an FCS team. I think gabriel (even though he looked good) was put in very easy situations with easy open defenders. his stats don't reflect everything. Their numbers look good but they played an absolutely terrible team who couldn't even make a completion or make a 3rd down.
Back to the top

I think our total O was -14 yards for entire 1st half! So that would make 2nd half O 242 years vs. No., 5 team in their stadium - nice job of pushing through in 2nd half to ALL Owls!!!

THAT ONE is out of the way!
Back to the top

Here's what I noticed. We went onto the field expecting to play zone. We even game planned for zone. When they started playing base defense, we got completely thrown off. If you looked on the offsides, the offensive staff were freaking out and trying to stall as long as possible so we could make corrections. We ran some very vanilla plays (literally just ran it every play to burn clock).
Back to the top

I like the tandem of McCammon and Charles. Of course, they are no Motor and Whyte but I think they are good enough to keep the offense balanced. Robison and the TEs will be the key to our O. 
Back to the top
Control functions: