Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

#17 UCF @ FAU @ Game Thread - September 7, 2019

Add topic

TheREALowlsley said

Two questions:

1) Was there a statement on what color FAU fans should wear? (im going to wear red as of right now)

2) Besides our visitor section, do you see both endzones being filled with UCF fans? as I am not sure where else they would be sitting besides being scattered throughout the stadium.

Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 11:14 AM #388096

No statement yet, but red is always a safe bet. It pops out really well against the blue seats.

I do expect the endzones to be mostly UCF fans. In fact, I'm expecting a decent amount of UCF fans by the Hyundai Deck as well.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I am not going to be surprised if UCF has up to 10k fans there.
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

TheREALowlsley said

Two questions:

1) Was there a statement on what color FAU fans should wear? (im going to wear red as of right now)

2) Besides our visitor section, do you see both endzones being filled with UCF fans? as I am not sure where else they would be sitting besides being scattered throughout the stadium.

Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 11:14 AM #388096

No statement yet, but red is always a safe bet. It pops out really well against the blue seats.

I do expect the endzones to be mostly UCF fans. In fact, I'm expecting a decent amount of UCF fans by the Hyundai Deck as well.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 5:31 PM #388104

I saw a twitter post saying red and blue, which, maybe meant the team (cannot re-find it)? which is also exciting for days-gone-by. I'll be in red, and use the tailgate in paradise shirt (blue) purchase as a back-up.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

UCFan1 said

Jack D Whidden III said

Is this the day we FINALLY get the big win at home we've been waiting over a decade for? I feel like every other G5 program has had some sort of landmark victory since 2007. What is ours? Beating a mediocre FIU team in 2017?

Sadly, I don't think this will be that game…

41 - 31 Bad Guys.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 6:07 PM #388107

I think that’s a fair prediction. 70ish total points. It should be a fun game. I know that there will be a LOT of UCF fans in the crowd so it should be loud throughout and a great environment. Figure this is a good place to ask - can you buy beer anywhere in the stadium or only the club sections? I’m going to be sitting in the end zone, section 134 I believe.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 10:17 PM #388115

Service is slow (slower still on the Hyundai Deck, somehow) but it's a wet stadium.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 10:52 PM #388116

I’ve done worse than walk to get beer lol. Thanks for the info. The line for beer at our home opener was BRUTAL. In out cabana club they have a few stands that only sell beer and for some reason they only had one person working at each stand (has to find the drink(s), pour, and take payment for each person).

Art Vandelay said

UCFan1 said

Jack D Whidden III said

Is this the day we FINALLY get the big win at home we've been waiting over a decade for? I feel like every other G5 program has had some sort of landmark victory since 2007. What is ours? Beating a mediocre FIU team in 2017?

Sadly, I don't think this will be that game…

41 - 31 Bad Guys.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 6:07 PM #388107

I think that’s a fair prediction. 70ish total points. It should be a fun game. I know that there will be a LOT of UCF fans in the crowd so it should be loud throughout and a great environment. Figure this is a good place to ask - can you buy beer anywhere in the stadium or only the club sections? I’m going to be sitting in the end zone, section 134 I believe.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 10:17 PM #388115

Service is slow (slower still on the Hyundai Deck, somehow) but it's a wet stadium.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2019, 10:52 PM #388116

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear it. The beer lines for our home opener last Thursday were BRUTAL! In our cabana club there are normal concession stands with food and drinks and a few stands that only sell beer. For some reason they only had 1 person working at each stand so he had to find the beer (canned from an ice tub), pour however many, and then take payment. It took forever. Hasn’t been like that in the past so I’m hoping the score just made more people willing to wait in line since they weren’t exactly missing key plays to the game.
Back to the top

Alright so my page refreshed in the middle of typing that and I didn’t realize it was still there when it reloaded and wrote basically the same thing - my bad!
Back to the top

Traveling in with the enemy for this one.  Coming with 4 other Knight Fans and sitting in the Hyundai Deck.  

Starting to tailgate over by the Bio-Medical Building around 1pm, look for the Cigar City Brewing Tent and swing by for a beer (over 21 only please).

Fingers crossed on this one.  Just want to keep her close, and keep the respect high.

38-27 Knights

Back to the top

Knight_Fyre said

OwlPT15 said

35-31 FAU

Kiffin out coached Huepel last year but we were severely outplayed at the line of scrimmage and QB position (even if you include all the punting Robison did). We don’t have many advantages on paper but if the UCF team underestimates FAU as much as their fans do we can catch them off guard. 
Posted On: Sep 6th 2019, 9:28 AM #388124

While I definitely think Kidding did a phenomenal job in the first half of finding our weakness and exploiting it with Singletary, that wasn't on Heupel. That was on Randy Shannon.  Randy Shannon is infamous with making half time adjustments instead of game planning well. I don't know if that's his strategy, to let teams think we can't stop the run and then thoroughly plug the holes in the second half and leap frog past people or what. But, Shane Burnham specifically said during the interview that FAU's running game definitely has their attention this time around. Plus our D-Line was by far the weakest part of our team last year. The last recruiting cycle has been primarily focusing on beefing up the D and O-line.

I think fans underestimate FAU's potential because many saw the lopsided score. My father in law is a tOSU alum so we watched the game pretty closely and I was definitely impressed. I think it's going to be an uphill battle for this game.

Ultimately, I think we have the depth to wear your defense out, we have 6 different running backs that are going to continuously get cycled. Once that happens, I think we'll pull away. Who knows, this may be FAU's huge upset, we'll see.
Posted On: Sep 6th 2019, 9:41 AM #388125

Kiffin* (damn autocorrect). The three reasons I think FAU came close last year was 1. Exploiting the defense (we couldn't stop anyone with a decent running game consistently). 2. Kiffin is a hell of an OC and 3. I think our guys initially thought FAU was going to be another tune up game.

This year, I think it's going to be a 60/40 to 50/50 FAU/UCF in the stands which should help neutralize the home field advantage to an extent. UCF fans are super passionate about the team so I expect FAU stadium to be absolutely rocking. Our D-line has been completely revamped and the run game shouldn't be so devastating this year.

UCF has been disrespected in the polls time and time again and I think this is a statement game for Heupel. I fully expect our starters to stay in till the 4th quarter and Heup to try and top tOSU's score. Both teams are going to have a chip on their shoulder, there's going to be a quite a bit of penalties. Any chance of this team sleep walking in and getting exposed is probably slim to none. Overall, it should be a battle. May the best team win!
Back to the top

Knight_Fyre said

Knight_Fyre said

OwlPT15 said

35-31 FAU

Kiffin out coached Huepel last year but we were severely outplayed at the line of scrimmage and QB position (even if you include all the punting Robison did). We don’t have many advantages on paper but if the UCF team underestimates FAU as much as their fans do we can catch them off guard. 

While I definitely think Kidding did a phenomenal job in the first half of finding our weakness and exploiting it with Singletary, that wasn't on Heupel. That was on Randy Shannon.  Randy Shannon is infamous with making half time adjustments instead of game planning well. I don't know if that's his strategy, to let teams think we can't stop the run and then thoroughly plug the holes in the second half and leap frog past people or what. But, Shane Burnham specifically said during the interview that FAU's running game definitely has their attention this time around. Plus our D-Line was by far the weakest part of our team last year. The last recruiting cycle has been primarily focusing on beefing up the D and O-line.

I think fans underestimate FAU's potential because many saw the lopsided score. My father in law is a tOSU alum so we watched the game pretty closely and I was definitely impressed. I think it's going to be an uphill battle for this game.

Ultimately, I think we have the depth to wear your defense out, we have 6 different running backs that are going to continuously get cycled. Once that happens, I think we'll pull away. Who knows, this may be FAU's huge upset, we'll see.

Kiffin* (damn autocorrect). The three reasons I think FAU came close last year was 1. Exploiting the defense (we couldn't stop anyone with a decent running game consistently). 2. Kiffin is a hell of an OC and 3. I think our guys initially thought FAU was going to be another tune up game.

This year, I think it's going to be a 60/40 to 50/50 FAU/UCF in the stands which should help neutralize the home field advantage to an extent. UCF fans are super passionate about the team so I expect FAU stadium to be absolutely rocking. Our D-line has been completely revamped and the run game shouldn't be so devastating this year.

UCF has been disrespected in the polls time and time again and I think this is a statement game for Heupel. I fully expect our starters to stay in till the 4th quarter and Heup to try and top tOSU's score. Both teams are going to have a chip on their shoulder, there's going to be a quite a bit of penalties. Any chance of this team sleep walking in and getting exposed is probably slim to none. Overall, it should be a battle. May the best team win!
Posted On: Sep 6th 2019, 9:56 AM #388126

This is what I don't understand. The last time UCF played someone from a better conference ranked during the season was in 2016 when they traveled to Michigan and played in their stadium and lost 51-14. UCF has proved they can beat a sec team at the end of the year after that sec team has finished playing a long sec schedule, but to say they are disrespected in the polls is wrong. I am glad to see they are playing a top 25 opponent this season, but the country repsects Boise State's "we play anyone anywhere mentality" much more than UCF's claim of a national championship. What I see is a team that can win but doesn't want to play the best. If UCF wanted to make a statement they would play someone like UF while they are in their prime but it is clear that there is too much risk in that decision. If you believe UCF should be a better ranked team play better schools. There is no other way around it.
Back to the top

Knight_Fyre said

Knight_Fyre said

OwlPT15 said

35-31 FAU

FAU has a student section of 10k and about 7k season ticket holders, so thats already over 50 percent.

I doubt UCF fans bought every single individual ticket.

I would say you guys have about 1/3.
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

Knight_Fyre said

Knight_Fyre said

OwlPT15 said

35-31 FAU

This is what I don't understand. The last time UCF played someone from a better conference ranked during the season was in 2016 when they traveled to Michigan and played in their stadium and lost 51-14. UCF has proved they can beat a sec team at the end of the year after that sec team has finished playing a long sec schedule, but to say they are disrespected in the polls is wrong. I am glad to see they are playing a top 25 opponent this season, but the country repsects Boise State's "we play anyone anywhere mentality" much more than UCF's claim of a national championship. What I see is a team that can win but doesn't want to play the best. If UCF wanted to make a statement they would play someone like UF while they are in their prime but it is clear that there is too much risk in that decision. If you believe UCF should be a better ranked team play better schools. There is no other way around it.
Posted On: Sep 6th 2019, 11:47 AM #388131
So you're comparing a UCF team that played at Michigan after going 0-12 with their first win being vs SC State as a barometer of what UCF is, as a program? That would be similar to me saying, FAU shouldn't have a chance at all to beat UCF since they got destroyed by Middle Tennessee 77-56. They absolutely have been disrespected in the polls and the evidence is quite overwhelming. When you have a 3 loss Mississippi State ahead of an undefeated team that was destroying everyone; its pretty evident.

In your example that UCF can beat a "banged up SEC team", do you honestly believe that? You don't think UCF was banged up? You don't think Auburn and LSU have absolute elite talent where there backups would be UCF's starters any day? The narrative was that UCF didn't belong on the same field as Auburn. UCF absolutely handled them. The same narrative back in 2013 was that UCF is going to get eviscerated by Baylor. Both games, UCF soundly handled both teams. As a fan from a G5 program, you should know first hand that there is massive disrespect from the media that G5 teams just don't stand a chance against the mighty P5. We both know that is absolute BS.

As for your Boise comment, UCF has played more P5 teams than Boise has by a large margin in the last 20 years. And has currently trended in a much more favorable path this decade. Boise gets the respect because they take their little pat on the head and have been consistent. UCF is on an island trying to expose just how monopolized college football has become and Kiffin gets it.

This comment right here tells me you must be fairly new to being a fan of college football:
"If UCF wanted to make a statement they would play someone like UF while they are in their prime but it is clear that there is too much risk in that decision."

Schedules are made 4-10 years in advance, you can't just schedule teams next year because your team is on a run. Almost every schedule has been filled up for years. Look at usf, they are playing Alabama and UF. Guess when? Not for 5+ years. Secondly, and here is the kicker - why in the world would UF agree to schedule an up and coming program when they can send Div II or bottom of the barrel G5 teams up there for less money? Beating UCF does nothing for their resume because they are SEC and are supposed to win. But if they lose, we just knocked off their playoff chance. This is a fundamental concept that most college football fans willfully ignore. Danny White is on record saying he would play UF 2-1 if the home game is at Spectrum Stadium. There are financial obligations that must be met by having 7 home games. UCF averages around $3 million per home game. Doing a 2:1 means we are losing at minimum $3 million. Since there is an arms race with inflated coaching salaries, improved facilities, increased travel costs for non-revenue generating teams - our AD isn't going to just willy nilly do 2:1's and bankrupt his athletic department. There has to be a balance. But lets just say for the sake of the argument UCF did schedule UF - do you honestly believe that beating UF would be the difference between getting into the CFP and not? I highly doubt it. 2 years of being undefeated and UCF didn't even get top 6 in 2018. The goal posts will move no matter what we do.
Back to the top
Control functions: