Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Respect + Scheduling

I was happy some Group of 5 teams got some upsets over over hyped lower tier Power 5 teams. These teams help the Alabama’s of the world claim they have competition such as Mizzou, Vanderbilt and so forth.  
Tbh the media is manipulated and ESPN is creating news instead of reporting it.  Did we look terrible at first against OSU.. yes but we settled down and really fought for respect.  There is no mention of that resiliency. Gus Johnson and Urban Meyer of all people acknowledged this.
All ESPN is showing is how we got destroyed but that was one quarter, I am still proud that the team continued even though OSU was trying to run up the score. On another note we need better scheduling, what’s the point of getting embarrassed on prime time.  Brian White needs to get more 1 for 1 games and lower tier winnable Power 5 teams.  If we played sorry Mizzou or Ole Miss we could really try and win. That’s how  teams like Boise built their brand.  All the years of losing has hurt our brand, teams like Wppalachin st. Has surpassed us in wins, bowl wins, closer scores in Power 5 games and a signature Power 5 win (Michigan).  We need more Power 5 teams showcased in our stadium period. Fans want marquee games not the same FCS opponent that we barely dominate.  The UCF game is the measuring stick, we will see how far we have come. I ask this which teams from the Power 5 would you love us to play in the future? 
Back to the top

I agree with the coverage the game has gotten.  I get that the game was never in doubt, but the Fields hype train is in full effect in week 1.

If you get a chance, you should listen to the last inside the burrow podcast, Shane went into great detail on this topic.  Long story short, we need the money.

Back to the top

I see Houston gave up more yards to Oklahoma last night than we did last year :Smug:

I agree we need the $$$ but set up home and home deals with mid to low level Power 5 teams and bargain for the same $$$ as they need the wins just to get Bowl Eligible, OU and the OSU don't!!!!

Those two killing us does nothing for them in their quest for National titles anyhow, actually gets them ridicule for scheduling "cupcakes"!!!

Our same CUSA teams from the East every other year plus one for the West are not exciting to S. Florida football fans. Honestly, to me anyhow, other than maybe S. Miss. and La. Tech, who cares about any of the CUSA West teams. And we got less than 15K for La. Tech at home last year!

GREAT 2nd half effort Sat. Owls - ya showed real character and fight. I have the OSU fans and Alums up here who were real impressed by that and not so much of their own teams!!!
Back to the top

I agree that home and home would be great. Even the 2 for 1 with some financial kick back for the road game would be worth considering. I’d like for the AD to try to get more mid level P5 pay game at least. 

But on the other hand some of the worst beat downs I’ve seen were by Western Kentucky and Marshall in Boca with no financial compensation. so you never know how good the teams will be up when you schedule a game 7 years out. 
Back to the top

South Florida will pay Alabama $400,000 for the 2023 game in Tampa. Alabama will then pay USF $400,000 for the first Tuscaloosa game in 2024. Then for the second visit, South Florida will receive $1 million.

This is why we do not do 2-1's.  If we just played Bama on the road three times we would generate 4.5 million.

One great home is not worth us giving up 3.5 million for FAU at this point.

Schools like Ole Miss and Mizzou are not doing 1-1's with us. Since the conferences shifted, many P5 schools realized they can twist the arm of the G5 into a 2-1 if they really want a home game.
Back to the top

Ole miss and Missouri are just 2 teams… and they may not be interested in home and home (honestly they arent going to sell that many tickets any way unless they happen to be ranked). But those are the type of teams we should look to do a paycheck game for. Any middle of the road P5 team is better than getting pounded by a top 10 team year after year before the team gets their feet under them. 

I think the 2 for 1 with Miami was a success. A sold out home game brings in money as well. 
Back to the top

On another board, I saw a listing of "money games" across all of college football.  It was very interesting seeing how much a G5 team gets paid to play a top P5 school.  Putting it in perspective, FAU got paid $1.4M for this past weekend's game.  My alma mater as an FCS school will get $400k for playing NC State this coming weekend and will get $525k for playing Alabama at the end of the year.  That is 2 beatdowns where they will make substantially less than the Owls got Saturday, but that still makes up a significant amount of their athletic operating budget.

My point is playing an OU, OSU, Wisconsin, etc. and taking 1 loss but finding really good home-and-home series with USF and UCF seems like a pretty good financial idea to me.  You need to offset the body-bag game with a low-level G5 or FCS to break even in the win-column, but you want to be on national TV at least 1 time a year AND it will pay dividends if you can play respectable (like Saturday and not like the OU game last year).

The key is going to be in finding more and more series that will be interesting to drive bigger crowds.  I totally agree the casual fan will come to a UCF game, but cares little about seeing much of the C-USA games and will avoid games against low-level G5 or FCS schools they have never heard of.  You have to fill-out your schedule, so those games are inevitable.  After the UCF and USF series ends, is it realistic to think FAU can land home-and-home games with lower-tier P5 schools?  Probably not.  So you are going to be somewhat forced into finding series with AAC and maybe Sunbelt schools (I'd love to see a series with App State).  I also think playing any of the service academies is generally good for name recognition and decent crowds.  But I'd be unhappy as the DC if we scheduled that triple option from Army and Navy too frequently :-)
Back to the top

owlsdad said

On another board, I saw a listing of "money games" across all of college football.  It was very interesting seeing how much a G5 team gets paid to play a top P5 school.  Putting it in perspective, FAU got paid $1.4M for this past weekend's game.  My alma mater as an FCS school will get $400k for playing NC State this coming weekend and will get $525k for playing Alabama at the end of the year.  That is 2 beatdowns where they will make substantially less than the Owls got Saturday, but that still makes up a significant amount of their athletic operating budget.

My point is playing an OU, OSU, Wisconsin, etc. and taking 1 loss but finding really good home-and-home series with USF and UCF seems like a pretty good financial idea to me.  You need to offset the body-bag game with a low-level G5 or FCS to break even in the win-column, but you want to be on national TV at least 1 time a year AND it will pay dividends if you can play respectable (like Saturday and not like the OU game last year).

The key is going to be in finding more and more series that will be interesting to drive bigger crowds.  I totally agree the casual fan will come to a UCF game, but cares little about seeing much of the C-USA games and will avoid games against low-level G5 or FCS schools they have never heard of.  You have to fill-out your schedule, so those games are inevitable.  After the UCF and USF series ends, is it realistic to think FAU can land home-and-home games with lower-tier P5 schools?  Probably not.  So you are going to be somewhat forced into finding series with AAC and maybe Sunbelt schools (I'd love to see a series with App State).  I also think playing any of the service academies is generally good for name recognition and decent crowds.  But I'd be unhappy as the DC if we scheduled that triple option from Army and Navy too frequently :-)
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2019, 12:16 PM #388038

I’d love to revive the rivalry with Troy!!
Back to the top

The ideal FAU schedule, at least in my eyes with all factors considered, is always going to have these two elements going forward. 

One buy game against a middle-tier or lower-tier P5. These are your Minnesotas, your Purdues, etc. 

One FCS game in Boca, ideally against an in-state team (FAMU or Bethune) or in an area where fans will travel from or there’s interest from people down here. I think that’s part of why there was an appeal with Stony Brook: your New Yorkers like me. 

As for the other two, maybe we see more in-state games with UCF and USF? I get the feeling the days of facing the service academies are over. But I’m interested to see if we see more one-off games against your MAC and AAC schools instead of the 1-1. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

I like the idea of regional G5 teams Ga Southern, Ga St, Troy, South Alabama, App St etc. They wouldn’t be huge draws. But those schools have some fans that might show up. Actually Ga State doesnt have any fans but it’s not a far trip for the away game and tickets to ATL can be pretty cheap .

If FIU can get Maryland and Indiana to come play in their high school stadium then I’m not willing to give up on the idea of getting decent home and homes. 
Back to the top
Control functions: