Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Charlotte - September 28, 2019

Add topic

FAU @ Charlotte Game Thread - September 28, 2019

The Matchup: FAU (2-2, 0-0 C-USA) vs. Charlotte (2-2, 0-0 C-USA)

When: Saturday, September 28th, 3:30 PM

Where: Jerry Richardson Stadium

Weather: Current conditions in Charlotte, NC

The Series: All tied up at 2-2, with the 49ers stealing the 5-6 Owls' Bowl Hopes last year in Boca.

Charlotte Team Site: Here

Game Information

TV: NFL Network

Live Video: None

Radio: 640 The Hurricane

Opening Line: FAU +2.5

Back to the top

FAU Head Coach Lane Kiffin from tonight's teleconference:

“We didn’t play great (against Wagner), the score was from talent mismatches… a lot of great stats, but I thought we should’ve been able to run the ball better… We are not going to win this conference unless we run better.”

He also said that Harrison Bryant's status is "hopeful" against Charlotte.
Back to the top

The Owls are 2.5 point dogs?  I just looked at 5dimes and FAU is now giving 1 to Charlotte.  I was surprised at the initial line, but I guess given last year’s game having the line be close shouldn’t be shocking.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

The Owls are 2.5 point dogs?  I just looked at 5dimes and FAU is now giving 1 to Charlotte.  I was surprised at the initial line, but I guess given last year’s game having the line be close shouldn’t be shocking.
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2019, 11:08 PM #388920

UNCC is just a good football team as well.

They went toe toe in a shoot out loss  with 3-0 App State, beat an FCS team and UMAS easily, and was crushed by Clemson as expected.

They have looked a lot like we have 4 weeks in.

Their RB Benny Lemay is the best in the conference.
They average nearly 260 yards a game on the ground. 

I think we are deeper as a team, but if Lemay is getting 6.5 a carry it won’t matter. 
Back to the top

Rather than talking about UCF,  FAU  is going to have their hands full this Saturday.U NCC  is good. They put up 41 against  Appalachian  State. And yes app st is better than us. We will need a better effort by our offensive line for us to have a chance. We are the  under dogs . And I think we should be.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Rather than talking about UCF,  FAU  is going to have their hands full this Saturday.U NCC  is good. They put up 41 against  Appalachian  State. And yes app st is better than us. We will need a better effort by our offensive line for us to have a chance. We are the  under dogs . And I think we should be.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2019, 8:09 PM #388992

We aren’t the underdogs, every site I checked has FAU giving 1 to 1 1/2.  Not sure how you can say so definitively that App is better, might be but way to early to say.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Some FAU relevant comments from 49er Head Coach Will Healy in his weekly presser:

Have you had any prior relationship with coach Lane Kiffin in the past?

When I think about Coach Kiffin, obviously the similarities, being 30 years old and becoming a first-time head coach. Obviously, his being with the Oakland Raiders and mine being at Austin Peay, so very similar situations. I really have enjoyed being around Coach Kiffin. When you look at his experience – Oakland Raiders, Southern California, Tennessee, Alabama, and now at FAU, he's an exceptional football coach. I ve really enjoyed being around him because he is so confident and he may be my favorite person to follow on Twitter because he has no filter and he's doing a great job. He's an offensive genius. He's always been able to do great things on offense. He's been on a lot of great staffs and he has been through a lot but a great person and I enjoy being around him.

On FAU defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer

Well, I want to talk about Glenn Spencer really quick. So impressed with what Glenn Spencer did here last year. I really enjoyed being around him from the time I took the job here. I think he is an exceptional football coach and an even better person. And he is known throughout college football for what he does defensively. He does a great job on defense and is tough to scheme against. He got those guys playing really hard. When I talked to Lane (Kiffin) at the conference meetings before the season he told me, I hired Glenn Spencer because of the job he did against me last year when he was with Charlotte, and the adjustments that he made. He is very well respected and I know our players love him. Alex Highsmith credits him a lot for where he is today. I think the world of him and he's a great football coach.
Back to the top

More from FAU players Brandon Walton and QB Chris Robison:

Brandon Walton on what he remembers about Charlotte’s defensive line

“I remember that they were good and they were physical and they were twitchy. The physical part is something that we need to work on this week. I think it is going to be a good matchup for us.”

Twitchy as in?

“As in, you go against some defensive linemen, they stop after one move. They try one signature move and [then] their feet kind of die. I remember [Charlotte] working, always trying to do a second, third or fourth move, always trying to get to the ball.”

Chris Robison on where he assesses the offense right now

“We are in a pretty good spot, besides our running game. I feel like our passing game has been pretty good, the past two weeks. I think that will help open up the run game. Once that happens, then passing game will just get better. We will be more balanced.”

What jumps out about Charlotte’s defense?

“They have a lot of good players. The coverages that they run, they are a little difficult and different than what we have seen all year. So, we will have to really lock in to the coverages.”
Back to the top

This game is huge. It's an absolute must win if we want to have a chance at the conference championship. I'm optimistic about this matchup
Back to the top

Hate the fact that at this point and time in our program we are still having to be concerned about coming up with a win against a uncc program that has only been playing football what 6 years now??  Its still uncc, But here we are still.  Anyways, something that concerns me that hasn't been brought up is that the majority of their team knows the ins and outs of our defensive schemes and looks with Glenn Spencer moving over to us over the offseason.  We will def have to out talent them if we are going to win this game because all the looks and schemes we throw at them they should know like the back of their hand.  
Back to the top
Control functions: