Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NCAA Reaction to California SB 206 - "Athletes Can Now Be Paid"

To be clear, this isn't the school paying athletes, this is the athletes being able to use their likeness to profit.  
Back to the top

I agree with Walty, and also with others about the aspect of pay…the key question to answer is how do you balance it?

In one regard, they don't sign a NLI, or GIA document which says "x university can market you and your image out for nothing"…

Then again, how many other states will adopt a similar policy, either because they agree or to compete…

California is famous for being on the cusp of "crazy progressive" policies, although this one appears to have more teeth than most of the others.

On a side note, i primarily posted this to show that the NCAA is toothless in stopping this type of thing…
Back to the top

Back to the top

Rick said

I agree with Walty, and also with others about the aspect of pay…the key question to answer is how do you balance it?

In one regard, they don't sign a NLI, or GIA document which says "x university can market you and your image out for nothing"…

Then again, how many other states will adopt a similar policy, either because they agree or to compete…

California is famous for being on the cusp of "crazy progressive" policies, although this one appears to have more teeth than most of the others.

On a side note, I primarily posted this to show that the NCAA is toothless in stopping this type of thing…
Posted On: Oct 1st 2019, 2:02 PM #389344

How is letting each player be their own business "crazy progressive?"  It's all "I am a capitalist" until young athletes start saying "I want to make myself money."

Seems like more states need "crazy proggrsive" polices so they do not depend on the feds to carry them.

Back to the top

Rick didn't say this policy is crazy progressive. He said california is known for crazy progressive policies. As of today,  many states are looking into this. Mark my words, some big shot attorney grad from  the big boy schools will figure out a way to "legally" pay a kid to attend their school. It is done secretly today. Once this policy is implemented there will be bidding wars for the star players. Kiss parity good by.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Rick didn't say this policy is crazy progressive. He said california is known for crazy progressive policies. As of today,  many states are looking into this. Mark my words, some big shot attorney grad from  the big boy schools will figure out a way to "legally" pay a kid to attend their school. It is done secretly today. Once this policy is implemented there will be bidding wars for the star players. Kiss parity good by.
Posted On: Oct 1st 2019, 3:30 PM #389347

Yeah, its not that we are against capitalism, its that anyone that knows anything can obviously see that the haves will use this to separate themselves from the have nots (us) even more than it is today.  Head coaches will basically become hustlers and pimps and won't have to hide their current connections to their bagmen anymore.  
Back to the top

If more states pass legislation similar to California I believe there would need to be a model in place such as the NHL which has both the AHL and college hockey to farm players from. You do not see college hockey teams playing against AHL teams. I would see that this would lead to more of an incentive to have high school players who are not interested in an education to pursue a developmental league right after highschool where they make a base salary and have endorsements and then the player who wants to go to Alabama get a degree and get coached by Nick Saban can do that as well.

Think about the salaries that coaches are making today, largely due from donors who have their own companies or play a big role in companies. What is stopping an alum from ex. Texas A&M from saying he wants an incoming 5* freshman in an add and will pay him a huge sum of money to attend the school. University of Florida may see this and offer 150k for that student to be in an add as well. This is great for the player but where does that put FAU? Are we going to call Schmidt family to make these kind of offers as well? That money could be going to scholarships and helping other people who need the money so they can get a good education too.

Again I want players to make money but I think there should be two leagues similar to the AHL and college hockey where it is black and white instead of a bidding war what this will eventually turn into.
Back to the top

This is not going to separate the haves from the have nots, that happened a long time ago.  The players that someone would be willing to spend 1000's of dollars on are not coming to FAU.  Let Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc have their bidding war.  We will get the same 3* recruits we always get.  
Back to the top

Man , the idea of that turns me off to what college football is.
Back to the top

owlmart said

This is not going to separate the haves from the have nots, that happened a long time ago.  The players that someone would be willing to spend 1000's of dollars on are not coming to FAU.  Let Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc have their bidding war.  We will get the same 3* recruits we always get.  
Posted On: Oct 1st 2019, 5:52 PM #389350

I hear you and agree to some point, but we've snagged a few 3 stars that some of the P5 wanted.  

You dont think  that one fan contacting a certain recruit on the border of picking us vs a p5 school and offering 1k-5k for an autographed football  isnt going to influence them to go ride the pine for a p5 or start for us.  

Unfortunately it will become this petty.  Theres some ridiculously pathetic people with money to blow that are obsessed with college sports at some these p5 programs.  
Back to the top
Control functions: