Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Getting Ranked

Looking at records through the conference we are really in the conversation for the East division crown.  Our schedule is favorable from here on out.  MTSU is not the same without Stockstill, but they always seem to beat us.  If we can somehow win that game I think we then will beat Marshall. For some reason they are not as great as other Doc Holiday coached teams. WKU is winning games but the league is not great this year,  so a mediocre team can win.  Someone mentioned us getting ranked,  though it sounds far fetched it can be achieved but timing is everything.  Every Sunday or Monday USA Today posts the re rank  of all 130 fbs teams  along with the new top 25 rankings.  We have been around the 80’s but the variance of getting ranked higher is dependent on ranked teams losing, getting blown out and going on a losing streak.  Look at SMU for example,  they have scored at least 40 points in the last 5 games and are 6-0 along with a signature win against a ranked TCU.  In order for us to be ranked we would need to win out and score a lot to stand out amongst voters. Or have dominating defensive performances like 33-0 type games.  In the future conference realignment would be huge for us to get ranked easier.  When you are in say the American you have a chance to play  a few top 25 teams alongside your other body bag top 10 or 5 teams.  The Cusa has no other ranked teams because it’s not as great, Marshall and WKU were the closest over the years that tried to get ranked. Do you think we can get ranked?  
Back to the top

We were ranked 25th in the Sports Illustrated 2018 Preseason Top 25 Poll.

I know, I know…

Just sayin'!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

CUSA is pretty bad this year.  2 years ago NT had a few votes for top 25 at some point during the season and we crushed them twice, CBS has us ranked 63, which is only behind LA Tech at 60.  Granted, their rankings have MTSU 30 spots behind Marshall as of today, but I could see our SOS hurting us as far as getting ranked.
Back to the top

If somehow we don’t lose the rest of the way, which we shouldn’t with our passing game, I think we’ll get votes. That would be a 12 game winning streak. And if we get votes that’ll be 3 straight seasons receiving top 25 votes at some point. I actually thought we were going to make it pre season last year we did make SI. But I just thought we would get into the major polls but we were like 30th pre Oklahoma 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

If somehow we don’t lose the rest of the way, which we shouldn’t with our passing game, I think we’ll get votes. That would be a 12 game winning streak. And if we get votes that’ll be 3 straight seasons receiving top 25 votes at some point. I actually thought we were going to make it pre season last year we did make SI. But I just thought we would get into the major polls but we were like 30th pre Oklahoma 
Posted On: Oct 6th 2019, 4:42 PM #389436

That would equate to a much better season than ‘17 when we were consistently getting votes for top 25 at the end and finished the season just outside the rankings. However, the key is winning like we did then. An ugly win here or there is fine but the majority of the games need to be more like the CHA game and less like Ball State. The only two I think can be close is the road contest at WKU and last game of the year when we welcome So. Miss to town. No reason we can’t win every other game by 20+
Back to the top

Ugh. Come on guys.  Anytime we start talking like this..     …….    complete collapse and disappointment.  
Back to the top

Agree with Roscoe - coming off the 2017 season we got ahead of ourselves with talk of rankings and conference moves.  Let’s just beat MTSU first, then win more than we lose, then go to some bowls several years in a row.  Then good things will happen.

I think 8 or more wins are very possible with what we have left against C-USA this season, and bowl games 2 out of Lane’s first 3 seasons will be great for the program. 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Agree with Roscoe - coming off the 2017 season we got ahead of ourselves with talk of rankings and conference moves.  Let’s just beat MTSU first, then win more than we lose, then go to some bowls several years in a row.  Then good things will happen.

I think 8 or more wins are very possible with what we have left against C-USA this season, and bowl games 2 out of Lane’s first 3 seasons will be great for the program. 
Posted On: Oct 6th 2019, 10:17 PM #389442

:-]
Back to the top

If we win out, which I think we have the talent to do it, I don’t know that we get into the top 25. I know we had 3 losses in 2017, but voters are going to remember we got creamed by UCF at home. Two years ago there weren’t any embarraijg losses. If we win out and beat a p5 then it’ll be close but we should make it. Yes there was Navy but it wasn’t getting creamed bad 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

If we win out, which I think we have the talent to do it, I don’t know that we get into the top 25. I know we had 3 losses in 2017, but voters are going to remember we got creamed by UCF at home. Two years ago there weren’t any embarraijg losses. If we win out and beat a p5 then it’ll be close but we should make it. Yes there was Navy but it wasn’t getting creamed bad 
Posted On: Oct 7th 2019, 10:53 AM #389445

There may not have been embarrassing losses by such a wide margin, but we lost to Navy by 23 and lost to a mediocre Buffalo team.

IF we go undefeated this year, that would mean losses to two pretty good teams, a bowl win, long streak, conference championship, and Lane Kiffin.

Solid chance at being ranked.

Not saying that will happen, but this year's team would have accomplished more than 2017's team.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: