Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Attendance, and Marketing

If we want to get people to the stadium besides the people with season tickets and guest and visiting team fans, we need to do just a little bit more. I mean when the University had that Expo to get the University out there to the high schools that brought in a ton of people for a game. We could do that again. I mean remember when they had T-shirt and bobble head giveaways. They could do that again. How about a theme night like a 80s, 90s, or a star wars night besides the obvious first responders, home coming, parents night etc… l know ad money and air time is expensive and everyone is trying to use social media these days but how often does anyone hear a radio ad for a FAU game other than on a sports radio network. I mean social media is great, but Shane brought up a point I think last year. Other than say Marshall and maybe a big name like Miami, no fan is going to show up or stay for a game versus Middle Tennessee or ODU when there are other games on they can watch at home and stream the game on their device.

A couple other quick points. The WiFi in the stadium up until the Marshall game was neither here nor there. So maybe FAU could spend some money in the off season to really upgrade the wifi in the stadium because even during the Marshall game it was tough getting connected to the WiFi despite the the temporary antenna right near us. Maybe a dedicated server and name like FAU Stadium or something like that. The request for music in the stadium was a great idea for the game. Need more of that. Finally the contests. Yes the Students shoulder a very large burden of the financial responsibility for the department, but doesnt it seem like all the contests are geared up towards the students. Earlier in the stadium's life if you got mentioned on the scoreboard for your social media post you got like a gift card to McDonalds or something like that. Maybe bring that back. Just some thoughts.
Back to the top

Doesn't help when you do get people in the seats for a "big game" (UCF; Navy) that the stadium experience itself leaves a lot to be desired. I know for the Navy game, the people I convinced to come with me will never go back – and I don't blame them.

I will say for all the marketing issues, people where I am (in NYC) now have at least heard of FAU. Years ago when I'd tell people up here what my undergard was they'd look at me like I had 3 heads, or thought I meant FAMU and would comment about how great our band was - ha.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Doesn't help when you do get people in the seats for a "big game" (UCF; Navy) that the stadium experience itself leaves a lot to be desired. I know for the Navy game, the people I convinced to come with me will never go back – and I don't blame them.

I will say for all the marketing issues, people where I am (in NYC) now have at least heard of FAU. Years ago when I'd tell people up here what my undergard was they'd look at me like I had 3 heads, or thought I meant FAMU and would comment about how great our band was - ha.
Posted On: Oct 26th 2019, 2:13 PM #390182

Our issues that day were typical of a packed stadium. For example, took me 20 minutes to get into the stadium and 45 minutes to get a pretzel and soda at the uf Tennessee game (not even a sell out). People just being too particular and triggered over not getting immediate satisfaction. On cloud 9 if you think you won’t have to wait for water or to get into a sold out FAU stadium. 

Can we get better? Sure. But the issues were not even close to warranting a boycott of the stadium/program like many of the (Ucf) fans proposed. One of their fans even complained at how FAU treated his pregnant wife…. NEWSFLASH: DONT BRING YOUR VERY PREGNANT WIFE TO A FOOTBALL GAME! THATS YOUR FAULT BUDDY! 

Additionally, administration FIXED all of the purported issues. 

Noticed on twitter someone complaining about the beer options at the paradise pricing in the stadium. The paradise pricing was something that actually drew people in. Why abandon it? Why decrease the locations and options available when it was working? I just don’t get it. That should be brought up to the powers that be. A bunch of the fans I got to go to the middle game complained that beer was 9 dollars or you can get a coors light for cheap… I’d rather not drink than have a free coors light. Just want a 5 dollar funky Buddha like last year. Is that so much to ask for? 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

d-owl said

Our issues that day were typical of a packed stadium. For example, took me 20 minutes to get into the stadium and 45 minutes to get a pretzel and soda at the uf Tennessee game (not even a sell out). People just being too particular and triggered over not getting immediate satisfaction. On cloud 9 if you think you won’t have to wait for water or to get into a sold out FAU stadium.
This is simply not true and it has been discussed here time and time again. I have been to plenty of "packed stadiums" and "big games" in my life – the entire experience that night for people who are casual fans, but that have been to actual "big games" was a joke. It sounds like the UCF experience was worse, if that is even possible. Stop wearing your "FAU colored" glasses and see the issue(s) for what it is – start with the concession vendor and go from there maybe. As a fledging program and as an actual fan, I can deal with it. I wouldn't expect a casual or non fan to deal with it – and they shouldn't (and those that went with me that night – who have also gone to "real" big games in packed stadiums –  won't). If you want to be taken seriously as a program and bring fans into the stadium – do better – period. The proof is in the pudding and on my end I have folks who will have absolutely no interest to come back to a game for any reason.
Back to the top

d-owl said

NJOWL said

d-owl said

This is simply not true and it has been discussed here time and time again. I have been to plenty of "packed stadiums" and "big games" in my life – the entire experience that night for people who are casual fans, but that have been to actual "big games" was a joke. It sounds like the UCF experience was worse, if that is even possible. Stop wearing your "FAU colored" glasses and see the issue(s) for what it is – start with the concession vendor and go from there maybe. As a fledging program and as an actual fan, I can deal with it. I wouldn't expect a casual or non fan to deal with it – and they shouldn't (and those that went with me that night – who have also gone to "real" big games in packed stadiums –  won't). If you want to be taken seriously as a program and bring fans into the stadium – do better – period. The proof is in the pudding and on my end I have folks who will have absolutely no interest to come back to a game for any reason.
Posted On: Oct 26th 2019, 3:30 PM #390192

You must not have read the part where I said I was at the uf Tennessee game this year and waited 45 minutes in line…. and it wasn’t even close to a sellout. 

You need to realize that when your in a crowded place things just don’t go as planned. There isn’t always going to be ready access to certain things because there are just too many people. Can we do better? Absolutely. Should we hold ourselves to a higher standard? Sure. Was it bad enough to boycott our stadium over? Absolutely not. 

It was worse for the Ucf fans because they are infamous for complaining on Twitter. Unfortunately, the loudest voices get heard - not the wisest ones. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

d-owl said

NJOWL said

d-owl said

Posted On: Oct 26th 2019, 3:30 PM #390192

You must not have read the part where I said I was at the uf Tennessee game this year and waited 45 minutes in line…. and it wasn’t even close to a sellout. 

You need to realize that when your in a crowded place things just don’t go as planned. There isn’t always going to be ready access to certain things because there are just too many people. Can we do better? Absolutely. Should we hold ourselves to a higher standard? Sure. Was it bad enough to boycott our stadium over? Absolutely not. 

It was worse for the Ucf fans because they are infamous for complaining on Twitter. Unfortunately, the loudest voices get heard - not the wisest ones. 
Posted On: Oct 26th 2019, 5:31 PM #390252

Just to give you a quick "snippet" of how that Navy game went (not even getting into actually GETTING to the stadium), once we finally reached the gate, I had the poor overwhelmed security guard throw the items I was checking..yes throw..through the metal detector. The poor lady missed..my stuff was scattered all over the place, walket, keys..you name it, for me to find everything like a scavenger hunt. Forget about the "in stadium" experience where nobody in the stadium knew anything lol. My friends who I tried to convince to come watch FAU games basically laughed at me. I can deal with it because I have supported the program from the very beginning, but the casual fan won't won't. Those two friends have a lasting impression of the stadium and will not be back. They weren't alone in their frustration that night.

When FAU is on the "big" stage, they simply have to do better, performance wise and administratively. That is my only point __ no disrespect, of course.
Back to the top

Ucf still has a good record and is hosting a fairly name brand school Houston, yet they still have a less than half full stadium - maybe 15k there. Bet they will announce attendance at over 40k though, which would be a nearly 90% full stadium.

Where did all the ucf fans go? Game is on ESPN, team is good, weather is perfect.

Just trying to illustrate that attendance problems permeate college football and sports generally. Ours is not so bad.

ROLL OWLS

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Where did all the ucf fans go?

Posted On: Nov 2nd 2019, 2:49 PM #390368

Jacksonville.
Back to the top

JakeElman said

It doesn’t help FAU is running a skeleton crew in athletics and marketing. Two of the top three people in marketing during the 2017 season when they had the shirts and the pins and the Lane Train aren’t at the school anymore. Ryan Moran, who did video and a lot of the social media, now works with the alumni association. So you’ve lost a lot of bodies who can help market. 

There’s smaller stuff too. A couple people pointed out to me that it’s almost always college kids during the in-game events like the dance off. Have the little kids do that stuff so they ask their parents to come back. It works like a charm with FAU baseball. 
Posted On: Oct 25th 2019, 2:44 PM #390148

College kids dont need freebies to come they already have free tickets. Where are the owlsley plushies? I want every school kid to grow up with fond memories of FAU games win or lose so they are not wearing UF shirts in 9th grade. We should be selling kid sizes at a loss.   

Back to the top
Control functions: