Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: UTEP @ FAU - January 4, 2020

Add topic

Owls Return to the Burrow to Face an Inconsistent UTEP

What: UTEP (9-5) @ Florida Atlantic (9-5)

When: Saturday, January 4th, @ 4:00 PM Eastern

Where: Abessinio Court at Roofclaim.com Arena

Series: The Miners own a 5-3 all-time lead over the Owls, including an undefeated 3-0 record in Boca Raton.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

UTEP Team Site: Here

UTEP at a Glance:

Offense - 68.9 PPG, 45% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 63.6 PPGA, 45% FGA, 30% 3PTA

Rebounding - 34.6 RPG Miners, 34.3 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Miners limp into Boca Raton having lost four of their last five. Their recent poor form is surprising considering UTEP opened the 2019-2020 campaign having won 8 of their first 9 games. Most recently, the Miners feel 69-67 to FIU in Miami.

Head Coach Rodney Terry did not coach in the loss to FIU due to a severe allergic reaction. He was rushed to the hospital Wednesday upon the Miner's arrival to Miami. Although Terry was released Friday afternoon, he is not expected to coach his team against the Owls. Former Texas Longhorn star, and current UTEP Assistant Coach, Kenton Paulino has been named interim head coach until Terry's expected return to the sidelines next week.

The Miners are led by talented F Bryson Williams, who is averaging a C-USA second best 19 PPG. The UTEP offense also features a talented backcourt duo of guards in Souley Boum (11 PPG) and Daryl Edwards (10 PPG).

As a team, UTEP is tenth and fourth in C-USA for scoring offense and scoring defense, respectively.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 72.6 PPG, 44% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense - 66.1 PPGA, 43% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.7 RPG Owls, 33 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls enter Saturday's matchup after soundly beating UTSA 79-64 in the C-USA opener for both teams. Jailyn Ingram led FAU in scoring with 15 points, as he continues to grow from his injury last season.

Head Coach Dusty May has seen great improvement to his defense in his second year in Boca Raton. This was displayed on Thursday when his Owls held the nations top scorers, UTSA's Jhivvan Jackson, to just 8 points.

Guards Scooter Taylor and Michael Forrest continue to battle as the squad's top shooter, averaging 10.8 and 10.5 PPG, respectively.

Opening Line: FAU -1

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

We're getting closer to tipoff at the Burrow. Expect the starting lineups to drop any minute now.

Back to the top

And here's the starters. May makes zero changes to the starting lineup from last Thursday's win over UTSA.

Back to the top

Any idea what’s happened to Carrington McCaskill? He looked pretty good for a freshman early in the year but he hasn’t gotten any run since November.  And I think he was the most highly touted recruit from last years recruiting class. 
Back to the top

Winchester has all of FAU's four points so far as UTEP leads early.

Back to the top

We got a run going! All started by a four point play from Richardson Maitre.

Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

Any idea what’s happened to Carrington McCaskill? He looked pretty good for a freshman early in the year but he hasn’t gotten any run since November.  And I think he was the most highly touted recruit from last years recruiting class. 
Posted On: Jan 4th 2020, 4:31 PM #393182

McCaskill is still on the roster, just hasn't seen a lot of time on the court because Ingram's increase in minutes.

For what it's worth, McCaskill is a 100% FG shooter. It's just 4-4, but that has to mean something!

Back to the top

Great play by Ingram for our largest lead of the game!

Back to the top

HALFTIME.

Uhg, another poor performance towards the end of a period allows the visitors to retake the lead.

Back to the top

Another solid outing for Winchester again.

Back to the top
Control functions: