Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Charlotte - January 23, 2020

Add topic

Owls Kickoff Tough Road Trip at Charlotte

What: Florida Atlantic (12-7, 4-2) vs. Charlotte (10-7, 4-2)

When: Thursday, January 22nd, @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: Halton Arena

Series: Charlotte owns a 4-3 record in the series thanks to two straight wins over the Owls.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *FEE

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

Charlotte Team Site: Here

Charlotte at a Glance:

Offense - 67.2 PPG, 45% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 62.9 PPGA, 43% FGA, 30% 3PTA

Rebounding - 32.8 RPG 49ers, 32.4 RPG Opponents

Notables

Charlotte 49ers return to Halton Arena after dropping two straight road games to Western Kentucky and Old Dominion. Last time out, the 49ers comeback effort against defending C-USA Champions ODU fell short, despite four players scoring in double digits.

Before their recent dip in form, Charlotte won six of seven. Wins include wins over Valparaiso, UAB, and the very ODU squad the beat Charlotte earlier this week.

Second year Head Coach Ron Sanchez has two of the conference's top guards at his disposal. Junior Jordan Shepherd paces the team with 14.3 PPG, making him the ninth highest scorer in C-USA. Then there is freshman guard Jahmir Young, averaging 11.7 PPG and 5.1 RPG. Young won C-USA's Freshman of the Week for the fourth time this season for his 11, 14, and 16 point outings vs. ODU, WKU, and Marshall.

As a ball club, Charlotte ranks last in C-USA in rebounds, collecting a measly 32.8 RPG. Their rebounding woes have been further exasperated in conference play, averaging 28.8 RPG.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 72.4 PPG, 43% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 68.5 PPGA, 44% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.2 RPG Owls, 34.1 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls will take flight to Charlotte and Norfolk for a two game set against a pair of C-USA contenders. Following FAU's game against a solid Charlotte 49ers squad, the Owls will take on defending C-USA Champions Old Dominion.

Last time out, the Owls succumbed to the UAB Blazers for the eighth straight time, falling 68-65. Cornelius Taylor, Richardson Maitre, and Jailyn Ingram all scored in the double digits, but still failed to overcome from a poor first half.

Sophomore guard Richardson Maitre has seen his PPG average skyrocket towards 9 PPG following back-to-back double digit games. The Montreal, Quebec native drained 19 and 16 points vs. MTSU and UAB respectively. His recent form has him as the fourth top scorer on the roster.

Despite Maitre's recent surge, Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor is the only Owl averaging over 10 PPG. His 12.5 PPG makes the grad transfer the tenth highest scorer in C-USA.

Not far behind is guard Michael Forrest and forward Jailyn Ingram with 9.9 and 9.8 PPG respectively.

FAU can move within a game of first place in C-USA with a win Thursday night.

Opening Line: FAU +5

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Updated to reflect the line opening at Charlotte -5. Sounds about right to me. I'd even push it to -7 if anything. I'm expecting Charlotte to compete for the final spot in the top "pod" and Halton Arena is not an easy place to win in.

Back to the top

No changes in tonight's starting five. I don't mind that, especially considering how hot Maitre is right now.

Back to the top

Ingram is showing off with these moves here!

Back to the top

And now it's time to show off the half court plays! Love this ball movement to find an open Ingram at the corner.

Back to the top

Scuta is making his presence felt early! Hopefully a big day from him on the outside will give our big guys down low more room to operate.

Back to the top

HALFTIME. FAU leads Charlotte 34-30.

Owls have lead for 19:31 of the first half, with the other 29 seconds being before either side hit a FG.

Back to the top

Owls lead goes back over double digits to start the second session!

Back to the top

Ingram is playing OUT OF HIS MIND right now! He now has 12 points on the day.

Back to the top

Can't help but to laugh at this play from Scuta!

He gets a team-high 16 points, but Charlotte is coming back.

Back to the top
Control functions: