FAU Football Inks 19 in Super 2016 Class
Florida Atlantic University football received its first National Letters of Intent at 7:04 a.m. Wednesday morning. The high fives and celebrations continued as the class dubbed the #Super16 finished the morning with 19 quality players assembled on paper.
The Owls were able to secure flips from two players including American Heritage School running back Devin Singletary (pictured, Illinois), and Homestead's Rashad Smith (Syracuse).
Both signees were listed as three star prospects by recruiting services ESPN, and Scout.com. Singletary was a two-time first team all-state selection, a three-time first team all-county offensive player of the year and was the Fred Taylor offensive Player of the year. He finished with just under 5,000 yards rushing for his high school career.
FAU also secured the services of a touted signal caller in that of Oswego High's Steven Frank, who tallied more than 5,300 varsity career passing yards and 743 rushing yards. Frank was rated the No. 1 quarterback in the state of Illinois by Scout.com.
“We are excited about how all our work has come together and culminated,” said FAU Head Football Coach Charlie Partridge. “With this class, we filled some needs and we battled against some ‘big schools’ and came out on the right side of the battle, the majority of the time."
"Again you see the emphasis on Palm Beach County and I-4 South, which is something I talked about when I first got hired here. Our brand recognition is on a completely different level now.”
Below is the complete listing of the incoming signees.
• 17-of-19 members are from the state of Florida
• 16-of-19 are from the I-4 corridor south
• 9-of-19 will play on the offensive side of the ball
• 10-of-19 will play on the defensive side of the ball
• 8-of-19 are from the tri-county area (3 Palm Beach, 3 Broward, 2 Miami-Dade)
• 5-of-19 were in the ESPN West Palm Top-22. (One was listed in the top-five)
• Two captured State Championships
• Three played in state title games
• Nearly half of class played on a district championship team
• More than half were named all-state during their high school careers
• More than half served as a team captain
• FAU signed its first player, John Mitchell, who played for a head coach that is an Owl Alumnus - Garrett Jahn (QB 2001)
• During Charlie Partridge’s tenure, 73% of his recruiting classes are from the I-4 corridor south
FAU will begin spring practice Tuesday, March 15. The Owls will hold one spring practice at Carter Park in Broward County, scheduled for Tuesday, March 22 and will play their Spring Game Saturday, April 16. For season tickets call 1-866-FAU Owls.