Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of September 25, 2021

Add topic

C-USA Football: Games for Week of September 25, 2021

All 14 Conference USA teams are in action in Week 4, with two more conference games on the slate.

Marshall enters play on a short week following a disappointing loss at home last week, 42-38, to East Carolina. The Herd were outscored 21-0 in the fourth quarter in the first defeat of the Charles Huff era. QB Grant Wells directs the nation’s third ranked aerial attack, as the Herd come into play averaging 420.3 passing yards per game. RB Rasheen Ali is the national leader in rushing touchdowns, with seven, through his first three games. Ali carried 24 times for 189 yards and three scores last week. App State dispatched of Elon at home, 44-10 last week and were led by LB D’Marco Jackson who recorded 13 stops, 4.5 TFL and 3.0 sacks in the win, and QB Chase Brice, who completed 19-25 passes for 293 yards and had a pair of total touchdowns (one through the air).

Middle Tennessee travels to Charlotte for the Blue Raiders’ second league game of 2021, and third consecutive road game. The Blue Raiders fell 27-13 to UTSA at the Alamodome in San Antonio last week, and will have a new starting quarterback in Chase Cunningham, when they take the field Friday night in the Queen City. The 49ers suffered their first setback of the season on a rainy Saturday night in Atlanta, falling 20-9 to Georgia State. Charlotte enters play having won seven of its last nine C-USA games dating back to the end of the 2019 season. WR Victor Tucker looks to continue his dominance in C-USA games, coming into Friday’s game with seven career 100-plus yard receiving performances.

FIU is looking to bounce back from two consecutive non-conference defeats as the Panthers come into this week’s road tilt at Central Michigan. FIU fell 54-21 in Lubbock last week against Texas Tech. The Panthers have a pair of players on the national leaderboard in QB Max Bortenschlager, who ranks third nationally in yards per completion (16.65), which leads C-USA, and RB D’vonte Price ranks second in C-USA and 17th nationally, averaging 109.0 rushing yards per game. Central Michigan is coming off a 49-21 loss at LSU last week. The Panthers will have to contain WR JaCorey Sullivan, who paces the Chippewas with 15 catches for 250 yards and four touchdowns through Central Michigan’s first three games.

In one of the premier non-conference matchups of the weekend, a pair of unbeaten teams are set to do battle at the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium Saturday afternoon, as 3-0 UTSA takes on 3-0 Memphis. Each team boasts a win over a P5 opponent (UTSA knocked off Illinois on the road in Week 1, 37-30 and Memphis outlasted Mississippi State 31-29 at home last week). The Roadrunners opened conference play last week with a 27-13 win over Middle Tennessee at home. QB Frank Harris continued his strong start to 2021, completing 24-39 passes for 264 yards and two scores, while also rushing for 56 yards. WR Zakhari Franklin caught eight passes for 114 yards and another touchdown (he has 22 catches for 346 yards and three scores through the first three games). RB Sincere McCormick also surpassed 100-yards for the second time in three games. Memphis’ defense stood tall in the final 92 seconds, preventing a two-point conversion attempt by the visiting Bulldogs to hold on for the win. WR Calvin Austin III had a big performance for the Tigers, hauling in nine catches for 105 yards and a pair of scores.

Old Dominion hosts Buffalo in the Monarchs' final non-conference matchup of the season. Both teams are coming off back-to-back losses. Last week, it was ODU who fell 45-17 on the road at Liberty, while Buffalo dropped a close one at home 28-25 to No. 16 Coastal Carolina. Old Dominion LB Ryan Henry had a career-high nine tackles and a tackle for loss last week in Lynchburg, while LB Jordan Young continues to hunt down the program record for career tackles (340) – Young is 73 stops away from tying Craig Wilkens. K Nick Rice broke the program record for career field goals made last week, when he connected on his 50th career field goal, passing Jarod Brown. Rice is now a perfect 6-6 this season on field goal attempts. Buffalo RB Kevin Marks, CB Isaiah King and WR Khamron Laborn are all Norfolk natives returning home for the Bulls this week.

Rice enters play this week still in search of its first win of 2021 after falling 58-0 in Austin last week at Texas. Head coach Mike Bloomgren said during his weekly press conference that QBs Luke McCaffery and Jake Constantine have shared reps with the first team this week. The Owls wrap their non-conference schedule on Saturday before diving into conference play. Texas Southern is also looking for its first win of the season after falling 66-7 at Baylor its last time out, on Sept. 11.

The Mean Green travel to Ruston to take on Louisiana Tech this week, looking to bounce back from two straight losses – 35-12 at SMU and 40-6 to UAB in Denton in the conference opener. Louisiana Tech is in a lot of ways just two plays from being 3-0, suffering heartbreaking defeats at Mississippi State in Week 1 (35-34) and last week against SMU at home (39-37). Louisiana Tech has won each of its past four league openers, including one against the Mean Green, on the road in 2018. QB Austin Kendall has been a major bright spot for Skip Holtz’s Bulldogs, entering play having thrown for 837 yards and has 10 total touchdowns (seven passing). The Bell Brothers, Levi (3.0) and Ben (2.0), have combined for five of the Bulldogs’ six sacks on the season. For the Mean Green, RB DeAndre Torrey leads the conference with 132.3 rushing yards per game, which ranks seventh nationally.

Southern Miss fell last week at home against Troy, 21-9, in Hattiesburg. Freshman QB Ty Keyes made his first career start, becoming the sixth freshman quarterback to start since 2012 for the Golden Eagles. The Southern Miss rushing defense performed well again last week, and have held opponents under 100-yards rushing in each of the first three games in 2021 (49 last week for Troy). The defense recorded four sacks, including two by DL Eriq Kitchen. No. 1 Alabama escaped Gainesville with a 31-29 win over No. 11 Florida last week, as the Crimson Tide stuffed a two-point conversion attempt by the Gators to tie the game late in the fourth quarter. QB Bryce Young has completed 68% of his passes for 811 yards with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions for the Tide in his first season as a starter.

WKU was one of two C-USA teams with a bye last week, and is looking to bounce back from a 38-35 loss at Army back on Sept. 11. The Hilltoppers boast the nation’s best aerial attack (456.5 yards per game), which is led by QB Bailey Zappe, who is completing 74.6% of his passes and has thrown for 859 yards with 10 touchdowns (leads C-USA and ranks fourth nationally). His preferred target in OC Zach Kittley’s pass-happy offense thus far has been fellow Houston Baptist transfer Jerreth Sterns, who leads the Hilltoppers with 16 catches for 278 yards and four touchdowns. His 139.0 receiving yards per game ranks second nationally, as does his four receiving scores. On the other side of the ball, DE DeAngelo Malone, the preseason C-USA Defensive Player of the Year, helps lead a defense looking to shine on the big stage Saturday night. Indiana is coming off a 38-24 loss at home to No. 8 Cincinnati. Hoosiers QB Michael Penix Jr. has struggled in the early going for Indiana (42-87 for 448 yards with four touchdowns to six interceptions), but certainly showed several flashes during the 2020 season that he is looking to recapture.

UAB is coming off a dominant 40-6 win in its conference opener last week at North Texas, bouncing back well from the Blazers’ defeat at No. 2 Georgia back on Sept. 11. UAB completely shut down North Texas’ high-octane offensive attack, holding UNT to just 220 yards of total offense and six points. Blazers’ QB Dylan Hopkins was incredibly efficient, completing 6-7 passes for 202 yards and three touchdowns. C-USA Offensive Player of the Week, TE Gerrit Prince had three catches for 136 yards and two scores, and enters play this week as the national leader in yards per reception (29.14). Tulane comes into this week’s showdown after a 61-21 loss at Ole Miss. Tulane QB Michael Pratt is one of just 27 quarterbacks in the country to not have thrown an interception. Tulane spent 22 days displaced due to Hurricane Ida, most of which was spent in Birmingham, practicing at Legion Field, where it also “hosted” Morgan State, whom the Green Wave defeated 69-20, on Sept. 11.

Florida Atlantic has won two straight after knocking off Fordham 45-14 last week in Boca Raton. The Owls have outscored their past two opponents 83-20, and have been paced by QB N’Kosi Perry, who has completed 65-103 passes for 827 yards with eight total touchdowns (seven passing) and no interceptions. WR LaJohntay Wester has made a major impact the past two games, posting 17 receptions for 225 yards and a pair of touchdowns over those Owl wins. Air Force enters play following a 49-45 loss at home to Utah State in their Mountain West opener. The Falcons do much of their damage on the ground, ranking fourth in the nation in rushing yardage, averaging 327.7 yards per game.

UTEP will be donning Texas Western throwback uniforms Saturday night for its rivalry game against New Mexico. The Miners were one of two C-USA teams with a bye last week, and fell 54-13 at Boise State on Sept. 10, their last time out. UTEP is looking for a 3-1 start in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1987-88. WR Jacob Cowing has gone over the century mark twice in the Miners’ three contests, including a 112-yard output on six catches with a touchdown on the blue turf in Boise. New Mexico fell 34-0 last week at No. 7 Texas A&M, and has a win this season over a common opponent, a 34-25 triumph over rival New Mexico State.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23

Marshall at Appalachian State (ESPN)      7:30 pm

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24

Middle Tennessee at Charlotte (CBSSN)    6:30 pm

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25

FIU at Central Michigan (ESPN+)            12 pm
UTSA at Memphis (ESPNU)                     3:30 pm
Buffalo at Old Dominion (ESPN+)            6 pm
Texas Southern at Rice (ESPN3)              6:30 pm
North Texas at LA Tech (Stadium)           7 pm
SMiss at No. 1 Alabama (SEC Network)   7:30 pm
Florida Atlantic at Air Force (FS2)           8 pm
UAB at Tulane (ESPN+)                         8 pm
Indiana at WKU (CBSSN)                       8 pm
New Mexico at UTEP (ESPN+)                9 pm
Back to the top

FINAL:

Marshall 30  App State 31

The Herd give up a 9 point 4th quarter lead, and 566 yards for the night.

Back to the top

Hockman quit Raiders and 49ers only favored by a field goal in Charlotte lol
Back to the top

Marshalls great D not so great huh!
Back to the top

Remember when we thought moving to CUSA was an upgrade. At least FAU won our vs Sun Belt game
Back to the top

App State will get invited to the AAC before we will. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Sep 24th 2021, 11:12 AM #403554

Ya think so? I don't think Boone, NC is what they are looking for at all. But who knows? :)
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

USMCOWL said

Ya think so? I don't think Boone, NC is what they are looking for at all. But who knows? :)
Posted On: Sep 24th 2021, 11:29 AM #403555

I doubt it. I think we have a good shot at getting in before they do. Reports are surfacing via SB Nation that the only two MWC schools interested are AF and CSU. I think we can sneak in with UAB. I’d also say UNT and UTSA probably end up in the MWC after this. 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

USMCOWL said

I doubt it. I think we have a good shot at getting in before they do. Reports are surfacing via SB Nation that the only two MWC schools interested are AF and CSU. I think we can sneak in with UAB. I’d also say UNT and UTSA probably end up in the MWC after this. 
Posted On: Sep 24th 2021, 3:43 PM #403557

I agree, MW is gonna poach our western schools to fill any void. Ya got 4 Texas schools (NT, UTSA, UTEP and Rice ) that are all targets. GUSA is gonna get thinned or killed off even either way, AAC or MW or even Belt!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Sep 24th 2021, 3:43 PM #403557

I agree, MW is gonna poach our western schools to fill any void. Ya got 4 Texas schools (NT, UTSA, UTEP and Rice ) that are all targets. GUSA is gonna get thinned or killed off even either way, AAC or MW or even Belt!
Posted On: Sep 24th 2021, 4:29 PM #403558

The irony of the Belt coming back around to off C-USA when we all thought the opposite was true 8 years ago is quite harrowing 
Back to the top
Control functions: