Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020-21 FAU Offseason Wishlist

It’s never too early to ask Santa (or Hannukah Harry) for Christmas gifts. I wanted to wait until after UMass (2/3 of our season over) to make this list. These are bulleted without order of priority. 

* Add at least one, ideally two, quarterbacks through the portal. One should be someone who can come in on Day 1 and compete with Posey, Taggart Jr., and potentially Tronti for the starting job. If the one-time free waiver is approved, this might be more ideal because I’d prefer someone with multiple years of eligibility. 

The second quarterback should be someone similar to Agner. An older guy, maybe he’s started at a JC or briefly at a G5 team, who is solid depth. Depending on how many scholarships are available, this one could be a walk-on. 

* A thorough analysis of the tight end room and their place in Taggart’s offense. I totally understand Taggart historically hasn’t used his TEs the way Lane did with Harrison and Raine. That’s not what I mean here. 

To have two total catches from the TEs in six games — and none since Charlotte — is unacceptable. That falls on many people, including the QBs, coaches, and tight ends. 

FAU has two current TE commits. I know they need younger bodies, but if the tight end position is not going to become an instrumental part of FAU’s passing game from a receiving standpoint, maybe Taggart needs to re-evaluate things. 

(Note: Rahmod Smith is out for the season, so his expected return next year adds another layer to the analysis part.)

* A full offseason for Posey as a quarterback. Simple enough. 

* A re-evaluation of the entire receiving unit, from the position coach down to the players. I am not asking for anyone to lose their job or scholarship. But two things have to be addressed: lack of depth, and regression. 

Lane had the same problem two years ago. He replaced the position coach and added some extra bodies, including Deangelo Antoine, McNeal on his second stint, and several walk-ons who at least were emergency players. 

FAU is dressing six or seven receivers right now for various reasons. Not sure yet if TJ Chase or Aaron Young intend to use the extra year waiver. 

* Figure out early where the players who opted out fit into the program’s future. They may have done part of this already. I still think Eyin Cole has a bright future here. But I’d prefer FAU finds out sooner rather than later if those players intend to be here next year, or if they’re following Jaylon Worsham, who put on his Twitter bio that he’s in the portal. 

I wrote all this on my morning walk, so I probably forgot something. The signing class has so many verbal commits that it makes the wishlist easier. 

Leave what’s on your wishlist below — and enjoy the win. I’ll take 5-1 any day of the week, especially in a pandemic year. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Bring Justice home to coach the OL and coordinate the run-game. Move Norrid to TE and Special Teams. Maybe I'm not being serious. It's a difficult year for evaluations (though I wouldn't disagree with any of your wishes listed).
Back to the top

I think garrin is waiting for the current canes Onto get  head coach offer. If the occurs , he may be considered for the replacement job. If he isn't, watch him look else where. He is a very serious going coach. Huge potential.
Back to the top

If Lashlee gets a HC job, he would be wise to bring Garin as the OC or a highly-paid OL coach IMHO

Back to the top

Sure, but can they offer him what we could? I'm talking about, like a really, really good parking space.
Back to the top

How about James Blackman? 
Back to the top

Rick recapped Blackman’s history with Taggart in another thread, and my personal takeaway afterwards was it may not be worth pursuing … but that’s my own takeaway. If Blackman wants to come here and Taggart is open to it and they both think it can work, I’m open to kicking the tires on him. 

Back to the top

Blackman is absolutely awful.  Just stay away.  I want QBs who can throw and a few more good wrs to go with better play calling and coaching on offense    And the defense to stay the same
Back to the top

I want to see if Leavitt stays. I’d like to think we could keep him. I know that money matters but the lifestyle down here with maybe a little pay bump Could maybe keep him here I guess. We need him back. I know he’s going to get offers for big money.
Back to the top

Just checked my records, and Leavitt signed to make $400,000 this year, though I don't know if that was at all impacted after the fact by COVID. So he's already making a substantial amoutn of money for a G5 coordinator.

It's $400K per year this year, next year, and through 12/18/2022.

I think FAU should stand a good job at keeping Leavitt. I don't think he'll ever be a HC again at the FBS level, between his age (64 on Saturday) and the politics stemming from what happened at USF. If a team was going to give him another HC chance, they'd have done it by now. At this point, you're making nearly half a million at a rising G5 program, you live in South Florida, you have the Schmidt … this is a good place for him.

Back to the top
Control functions: