Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2021 FAU Spring Football

IMHO TE's are good go to guys om 3rd downs to pick up that first, just like near end zone! Much higher conversion % than WR's in a good system
Back to the top

What is the keke  situation?
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Feb 28th 2021, 11:11 AM #400813
Not sure. Before fall camp last year they sent an email with the full training camp roster (Which will be much bigger than the current online spring roster because of walk-ons), so I'll assume they're doing the same either tonight or tomorrow. We'll see if Keke's on there…and if he's not, we'll wait until summer. FWIW, they gave his No. 36 to Julius Barfield, the new LB from Melbourne.

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

If I were covering spring camp this year (I’m not) and assuming it’d be open enough to media that we could form our own takes (it sounds like it’s not), these are the things that I 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 would be watching out for. (Besides the QB battle.)

1. What’s the attitude around this team right now? 2018’s was a “we’re the best in the world” from some players and “We still need to prove ourselves” from others. 2019 was far more “Last year was awful and we need to do better.” Do Taggart and the players still consider parts of last year a “success?” Are they embarassed by the flaws and lows?Are the older players frustrated and/or hungry to change things?

2. Speaking of Taggart, I’d be interested to hear about some of the position changes. There’s some linebackers listed as fullbacks on the online roster, Dalton Hustad of Dwyer is now a TE. D’Marcus Adams is now a DB. What went into the changes and are they permanent?

And this somewhat applies to the offensive line. Is Nick Weber a center or are they moving him back to G? Was Taggart happy with the tackle play last year that he’d keep Marquice and BJ out there?

3. The last true freshman WR to really make any kind of difference on offense is Willie Wright in 2017.* Can Edrine and/or Kobe Stewart change that?

*Yes, I know the easy answer is Wester. But Wester averaged less than 7 YPC last year and his really only notable game on offense was against UMass. Returning is another story. 

4. Can they please do something with the tight ends? Vernon Davis had a successful year in SF (56 catches for 914 yards and seven TDs) in 2010 with Michael Johnson Sr. as his OC. Between Rahmod Smith (if he’s healthy), Jacob Pasley, and Irvin, the talent is there. Or is the early indication that they really won’t use the TEs as receivers? 

5. Who’s healthy? And who will stay healthy? Simple enough. If Rahmod Smith is healthy, hopefully they’ll find a way to use him. 

Now, I don’t know how many of these will be really answered because of the access rules. And some of these don’t have to be answered until mid-August. But we shall see. 

Roll Owls. 😁
Posted On: Feb 28th 2021, 9:26 AM #400811
1. "The attitude'' of the team is fine. It was never an issue last year as they played hard in every game. When considering everything that was not the case for a lot of teams. I think it's safe to say with amount of seniors that returned they want it bad this year.

2. Adams has not seem to pick up wideout well. Some of the lower depth guys could just be moved around to help balance the roster in a couple spots with new players coming in. As for a couple of guys moving to fullback, Michael Johnson's experience in the NFL could have them using some pro looks in in short yardage where they  struggled last year.

3. Jahmal will make an impact this year. Word form those close to the situation is he is way ahead of schedule for a freshman

4. The talent isn't there. Irving is not returning and Rahmond is coming off major knee injury and will be mostly limited. I would not expect much from someone who has not played a down of real football going on two years. TE is also one of the most difficult positions to learn as a youngster, so it is big ask to expect from Pasely or Ford in 2021. They want to use the tightened, but ready now talent is an issue, so one could expect them to be looking for a portal option over the summer.

Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Feb 28th 2021, 11:11 AM #400813
I understand that Keke Leroy is working on qualifying academically and should be eligible for the August camp.
Back to the top

I hate to keep bringing up Keke. Every kid is different. I wish him only the best in getting his grades in line. I know that kind of pressure must be tough. I hope FAU has assistance available tok him. I'm going to assume that is the case.
Back to the top

I want to see Keke out there as well. I don't know where he'd fit in a new defense after missing a year, but you can't teach heart and passion. He had both.
Back to the top

We're getting our first ever crack at Coach Taggart and FAU Spring Football. We're running a bit late, but we should be starting the presser soon.

Obviously the QB situation will be a hot topic of discussion.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Taggart is really enjoying having his first Spring ball at FAU. He's excited to continue to coach the boys and develop young players as the staff implements new schemes.

Back to the top

And Taggart mentioned how returning so much talent is incredibly helpful when it comes to creating a culture of constant competition. One where players continue to work and perfect their craft in order to keep their positions. He wants that to be the core motivation this month.

Back to the top
Control functions: