Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2022 FAU Football Preseason Camp

Here's today's camp update video via DC Todd Orlando. I asked him to rate the defense as a whole at this point. Great response:

Back to the top

Fast and aggressive is what fans and the like will be in store for this season under the Owls' new defensive scheme. FSU transfer Jaleel Mcrae is a big fan of that approach himself, and will likely play a significant role in it at times.

"Camp is going great for me…just coming out here and doing my job to lead the defense. I love to blitz and get to the quarterback. Just having him think a lot pre-snap is going to be great for this defense."- FAU LB  Jaleel Mcrae
Back to the top

Defensive lineman Latrell Jean

Only three more sessions remain for FAU Football before they officially complete the 2022 preseason camp cycle.

In addition to Coach Orlando, Kelvin Dean Jr was available before taking the field. I asked him what he personally wanted to accomplish this season and here is what he had to offer:

And here are the notable highlights from the closed sessions via Katrina McCormack:

• Willie Taggart, Jr. hit both Johnny Ford and Jymetre Hester for 45-yard scoring plays during seven-on-seven
  • "Teamwork" saw the defense stop the offense's first drive, but kicker Morgan Suarez hit a 42-yard field goal to get the offense on the board
  • N'Kosi Perry showed patience, called his number for a 30-yard run, moving the offense to the defense's 30
  • From team, the Owls switched fields and began goal line work or trying to score from five yards out. Each unit had five tries
  • The first teamers saw the offense score on four of the five attempts
  • Second team defense proved to much for the second team offense winning three of the five battles
  • The third team suffered a similar fate with the defense stopping three of the five attempts
  • The final session was team as well, but the ball was spotted on the 30 and headed the opposite way
  • Larry McCammon had two long runs and Zuberi Mobley broke through for a long touchdown run
  • The defense recovered a fumble at the line of scrimmage and the defensive line wrapped up a running back for a TFL

Back to the top

We have five really good running backs: Ford, Mobley, McCammon, Scott, and Dean. I am very very excited for this season. The addition of Bordner at left tackle will be huge for the run game as well.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Rick said

Defensive lineman Latrell Jean

Only three more sessions remain for FAU Football before they officially complete the 2022 preseason camp cycle.

In addition to Coach Orlando, Kelvin Dean Jr was available before taking the field. I asked him what he personally wanted to accomplish this season and here is what he had to offer:

And here are the notable highlights from the closed sessions via Katrina McCormack:

• Willie Taggart, Jr. hit both Johnny Ford and Jymetre Hester for 45-yard scoring plays during seven-on-seven
  • "Teamwork" saw the defense stop the offense's first drive, but kicker Morgan Suarez hit a 42-yard field goal to get the offense on the board
  • N'Kosi Perry showed patience, called his number for a 30-yard run, moving the offense to the defense's 30
  • From team, the Owls switched fields and began goal line work or trying to score from five yards out. Each unit had five tries
  • The first teamers saw the offense score on four of the five attempts
  • Second team defense proved to much for the second team offense winning three of the five battles
  • The third team suffered a similar fate with the defense stopping three of the five attempts
  • The final session was team as well, but the ball was spotted on the 30 and headed the opposite way
  • Larry McCammon had two long runs and Zuberi Mobley broke through for a long touchdown run
  • The defense recovered a fumble at the line of scrimmage and the defensive line wrapped up a running back for a TFL

After watching all the backs zuberi mobley is by far the best and should be the starter week 1 

The kid is a bigger physical version of ford 

Next up is does them Larry 

Kid is more of a special teams player and Scott needs another year to learn the system 
Back to the top

If all of the preseason chatter is remotely credible, and feasibly comes together, one thing is likely certain.

You can get your sack counter ready.

In contrast to last season, the Owls not only have a new man in charge, and a new scheme he is toting. They also have more able bodied participants that will compliment each other on the line and edges, as well as the 2nd level.

One familiar face is that of returner Jaylen Joyner (photo above) who addressed the media today.

"I come to work everyday for my guys…like a 'Band of Brothers' bond. I'm the vet, and everybody is looking up to me. I'm comfortable on the line, wherever coach needs me. Some packages I play on the interior, and some on the outside. In the pass rush, you're going to see a big difference this year", said Joyner.

DC Todd Orlando was not shy with his words about Joyner in some commentary from yesterday's extended interview.

"He can pass rush, he has a skillset to do some things that are unique for his position. he is very sharp, and we are expecting big things out of him."

FAU is virtually upgraded at every position depth wise, and perhaps deeper than they have ever been on the line.

The team will have one day of prep before closing out camp on Saturday with a closed scrimmage that will all but lock down the "rotation" heading into Charlotte.
Back to the top

Today's FAU Football Session has been cancelled in favor of a well deserved Rest Reward. FAU will conclude Preseason Camp tomorrow evening with their final scrimmage ahead of GAME WEEK vs Charlotte.
Back to the top

"Pretty much where we usually are at this time of training camp - some bumps & bruises. Scrimmage we'll hone in…and give guys one more opportunity to get on the bus and make the travel team. We have a pretty good idea of what our 2-deep is going to be." Coach Taggart
Back to the top

Almost game week. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2-deep
Back to the top

Well, you're in luck…

Just spent two hours with Kevin Fielder and Zach Weinberger to hash out a trifecta model.

First time ever that three FAU outlets have worked collaboratively on something like this…We are going to put it out Monday or Tuesday at the same time as each other.

Obviously it is our OPINION and we are in full disclaimer mode since things are quite fluid in comparison to years past given depth and competition. We also were very limited to what we could actually see.

Back to the top
Control functions: