Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU better have people working on moving conferences...

LawOwl said

SeminOwl28 said

Yes we have to be looking at all scenarios. Think of it this way. .

The AAC obviously is the best option.  And hope that they take UAB , us, and 2 other competent programs lie Marshall , UTSA, north Texas , Charlotte etc

If the AAC takes 4 members not named fau, we have to look at the sun belt.  Marshall and southern miss are supposedly talking to them already and we should latch on if USF blocks us from the AAC

If FAU isn't forward thinking we could be left behind in a conference with FIU, WKU, MT , UTEP, la tech and either north Texas or utsa.

That would force us to take fcs teams in like eastern Kentucky , Missouri state , Jacksonville state etc. It would be horrendous !!!
Posted On: Sep 16th 2021, 8:51 AM #403363

This would be a major concern for me is Saunders was still President and Angelos was still AD but with Dr. Kelly and Brian White, I’d like to think we have the people in place to make a move
Posted On: Sep 16th 2021, 9:01 AM #403365

Agreed.  If we have any chance I believe we definitely have great leadership in place to make it happen.  
Back to the top

Interesting article from CBS sports that has us possible moving to the AAC is the teams out west don’t work out. 

American targeting Mountain West powers among handful of expansion candidates in realignment - CBSSports.com
Back to the top

Big Lerm said

Is this even a better league then we have? USF has been dismal, we just beat Ga Southern worse than most cusa schools, Ga State probably the same thing, Troy maybe pretty similar to what we have already. App State and Coastal Carolina are intriguing but they have strung along what 2 good years (not exactly established power houses), JMU was just FCS a few years ago, and ECU hasn’t been good for a while. I do agree with your point to align (preferably regionally), and make alliances but this league doesn’t excite me. It really just depends what kind of tv deal we could get with it as it’s all about the money.
Posted On: Sep 16th 2021, 12:05 AM #403361
I wasn't suggesting this versus what C-USA has now - it was more about what C-USA is probably going to become.   For this proposal, I would argue there are teams in this scenario that are or have been ranked.  Since becoming eligible for bowl games in 2014, App State has won 6 straight and have won 63 games in 6 seasons (that is averaging more than 10 wins).  That is better than anybody in C-USA.  Coastal has been and is currently ranked (that is better than the current C-USA teams over the same time).  FAU, UAB, and Charlotte are teams/schools/markets that other conferences have a lot of interest in.  With looking at the geographic footprint, if you don't like USF and Southern Miss is too far, put in somebody like Liberty that fits with the VA schools.

I'd say that this would look a lot better than what C-USA is on the verge of looking like.  As others have said, if FAU isn't moving to the AAC and stays put, it will be in probably the worst football conference in the country.  The AAC is what everybody wants, but I was just trying to think more about across all of the Group of 5 what a sensible, regionalized approach might look like.  And even the new AAC is going to have a lot less luster without 3 of their perennial top teams/markets/draws.

Pipe dream would be some kind of combination of the best teams from all of the conferences that haven't already moved joining together:
FAU, App State, Coastal, UAB, Marshall, Southern Miss, Memphis, Liberty, Tulane, Temple, SMU, Navy, etc.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Big Lerm said

Is this even a better league then we have? USF has been dismal, we just beat Ga Southern worse than most cusa schools, Ga State probably the same thing, Troy maybe pretty similar to what we have already. App State and Coastal Carolina are intriguing but they have strung along what 2 good years (not exactly established power houses), JMU was just FCS a few years ago, and ECU hasn’t been good for a while. I do agree with your point to align (preferably regionally), and make alliances but this league doesn’t excite me. It really just depends what kind of tv deal we could get with it as it’s all about the money.
Posted On: Sep 16th 2021, 12:05 AM #403361
I wasn't suggesting this versus what C-USA has now - it was more about what C-USA is probably going to become.   For this proposal, I would argue there are teams in this scenario that are or have been ranked.  Since becoming eligible for bowl games in 2014, App State has won 6 straight and have won 63 games in 6 seasons (that is averaging more than 10 wins).  That is better than anybody in C-USA.  Coastal has been and is currently ranked (that is better than the current C-USA teams over the same time).  FAU, UAB, and Charlotte are teams/schools/markets that other conferences have a lot of interest in.  With looking at the geographic footprint, if you don't like USF and Southern Miss is too far, put in somebody like Liberty that fits with the VA schools.

I'd say that this would look a lot better than what C-USA is on the verge of looking like.  As others have said, if FAU isn't moving to the AAC and stays put, it will be in probably the worst football conference in the country.  The AAC is what everybody wants, but I was just trying to think more about across all of the Group of 5 what a sensible, regionalized approach might look like.  And even the new AAC is going to have a lot less luster without 3 of their perennial top teams/markets/draws.

Pipe dream would be some kind of combination of the best teams from all of the conferences that haven't already moved joining together:
FAU, App State, Coastal, UAB, Marshall, Southern Miss, Memphis, Liberty, Tulane, Temple, SMU, Navy, etc.
Posted On: Sep 16th 2021, 4:25 PM #403370

As an alternative I 100 percent agree with you. I was comparing current to prospective which I can see an argument for in either case. I would love to make it to the AAC and avoid all the what if’s. Kind of a nerve wracking time. So much at stake as being left behind would be horrible…especially if other configurations happens without us involved.
Back to the top

Looks like we gotta hope;

1) Boise has its eye on Big12 still

2) Some Mtn West schools think logistics in non revenue sports will be too expensive and difficult

EITHER of those happen we have a decent shot IMHO
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Looks like we gotta hope;

1) Boise has its eye on Big12 still

2) Some Mtn West schools think logistics in non revenue sports will be too expensive and difficult

EITHER of those happen we have a decent shot IMHO
Posted On: Sep 17th 2021, 7:10 AM #403375

Yea honestly if i’m a MWC school no reason why I’d leave for the AAC. TV money will basically be the same and, if Boise is eyeing a move to the Big 12, which why wouldn’t they, I would want to stay put 
Back to the top

Here are comments from the Wyoming AD totally agreeing with our thoughts on MWC schools joining the AAC.

Granted Wyoming is not being considered but this should be a common thought with other AD's out there. And if they don't get enough to come there won't be enough for a West division.

Wyoming AD Tom Burman doesn't see benefit of MWC programs leaving for AAC | Football | trib.com
Back to the top

We are prepared to do whatever it takes here folks.

Take that to the bank.

We have the money to move forward, and we will not let something like basketball facility upgrades be a hindrance.

The TV gains alone will make any outlays = a project that pays for itself in the long run.

Not to mention your season ticket sales are GOING UP with USF being on the schedule every year (because they will use that for priority leverage) as well as single game sales as well.

Back to the top

Rick said

We are prepared to do whatever it takes here folks.

Take that to the bank.

We have the money to move forward, and we will not let something like basketball facility upgrades be a hindrance.

The TV gains alone will make any outlays = a project that pays for itself in the long run.

Not to mention your season ticket sales are GOING UP with USF being on the schedule every year (because they will use that for priority leverage) as well as single game sales as well.

Posted On: Sep 17th 2021, 6:50 PM #403383

I think we have to be, and luckily I feel like we have the admin to get the job done. My only fear is if the American decides to go in the West Coast direction we could be left out in the cold, and that can set our program back maybe forever if we don't have a back up plan. I don't see Conference USA being a viable option past this conference shuffling.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus, the fear is real.
I believe we have the right people in place to be proactive.
If the AAC takes UAB and teams from out west and Marshall, Old Dominion and Southern Miss leave for the Sun Belt, FAU and C-USA are in a heap of trouble.
Back to the top
Control functions: