Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Legendary Coach Howard Schnellenberger Passes Away

Very sorry to hear this news. Met him once before the WKU stadium opener.

REALLY needs to be put on HOF due to his saving and building not one but TWO programs (UM and Louisville) and giving birth to one (FAU). Screw the record, hard to have a wining record with those circumstances and he was a success at all three schools!
Back to the top

Comment: #news_3327

A real loss for college football. I know of coach from his days at Louisville and then his exit to Oklahoma. He recruited a high school teammate of mine just before making the switch. I also recall watching a Louisville - Michigan State bowl game and my family pulling for MSU due to connections, while I cheered on the Lou. I was a graduate student at FAU when the program started. I recall coach carrying his stump to the cafeteria, standing on it, and championing the emergence of FAU football. At the time, FAU was a commuter school and few students were in the cafeteria to pay him any attention. Little did they know, he was one of the all time greats in college football. He built FAU and deserved to stay despite a the naysayers who wanted him out. He was and always will be FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Celebration of Life ceremony set for Schnellenberger  :cool:

Back to the top

Rick said

Celebration of Life ceremony set for Schnellenberger  :cool:

Posted On: Jun 21st 2021, 12:31 PM #402481

Fall Bonfire has been moved to Thursday September 9th. Via Program Board.

Great to have the celebration then. I hope a lot of people come. I certainly plan on being there.

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

JUST IN: Schnellenberger Field logo has been unveiled.

"FAU Football wouldn't be the program it is now without Coach Schnellenberger. This is one of many ways we are planning to continue honoring his legacy this season and into the future." - AD Brian White

#OwlsUP 👌
Back to the top

Details for the celebration of life event for Coach Schnellenberger:

Throughout the 2021 season, Florida Atlantic University athletics will be honoring its inaugural head football coach, the legendary Howard Schnellenberger, who passed away in March.

In conjunction with the Schnellenberger family, FAU is hosting a Celebration of Life to honor Coach Schnellenberger on Friday, Sept. 10. The event will be held at FAU Stadium and is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. with the main program, celebration at 7:30 p.m. on Howard Schnellenberger Field.

The event will feature a slate of speakers, who represent the breadth of Coach Schnellenberger's career. The event is open to the public and there will be no admission charge.
Back to the top

Rick said

Details for the celebration of life event for Coach Schnellenberger:

Throughout the 2021 season, Florida Atlantic University athletics will be honoring its inaugural head football coach, the legendary Howard Schnellenberger, who passed away in March.

In conjunction with the Schnellenberger family, FAU is hosting a Celebration of Life to honor Coach Schnellenberger on Friday, Sept. 10. The event will be held at FAU Stadium and is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. with the main program, celebration at 7:30 p.m. on Howard Schnellenberger Field.

The event will feature a slate of speakers, who represent the breadth of Coach Schnellenberger's career. The event is open to the public and there will be no admission charge.

Posted On: Aug 16th 2021, 6:54 PM #402813

Thanks Rick!

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

Howard Schnellenberger Tribute Shirt

FAU is also selling an $18 Tribute Shirt with Schnellenberger's famous line: "To believe is to be strong." Part of the proceeds benefit the Schnellenberger Family Foundation and FAU Athletics. The description says they hope for fans to wear them to the celebration and FAU's home opener vs. Georgia Southern. 

Back to the top

Love that!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Here's the jersey patch for Coach Schnellenberger:

Back to the top
Control functions: