Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Trickett and Fairman Let Go

Did we hire the transfer portal QBs dad as a CO oc?   
Back to the top

Yes, Mike Johnson is the new co-offensive coordinator and QB coach per the Palm Beach Post on Thursday.
Back to the top

Yes, he brings a lot of experience to the owls offensive coaching staff
Back to the top

I’m just going to say it. I get a vibe of “Daddy Ball” surfacing around the program. This is either going to go really well or really badly.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

I’m just going to say it. I get a vibe of “Daddy Ball” surfacing around the program. This is either going to go really well or really badly.
Posted On: Jan 16th 2021, 8:09 AM #400030

Could it yes. But I think its more of the nature of college football than people recognize rich rod just took his son the ULM to play QB. Michael johnson has been an NFL OC and college OC. He coached michael vick in atlanta. If he can turn posey into 50 percent of Vick we will all be happy. I think we needed some juice on the offensive side of the ball and he is intense from the players at oregon.
Back to the top

All good points. Just looks a bit scetchy  I hope everyone knows what they're doing.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

All good points. Just looks a bit scetchy  I hope everyone knows what they're doing.
Posted On: Jan 16th 2021, 10:15 AM #400036

I get the concerns cause I had the same initial feeling, but when you look at the resume the guy has coached at power 5 programs all over the country. It is a legit hire with or without his son. 
Back to the top

I know. It would be ridiculous to not hire him because of perception. I looked at his history. Highly qualified.  And some father /son college histories are great. We had to deal with the stockstills at mtsu  for four years.
Back to the top

I was hoping someone would bring that up about the Stockstill’s at MTSU.
Heck, we even hired the son to coach after his career!
Not sure why anyone wants to read negatively into every move Willie makes.
Back to the top

I imagine the Shanes and Jacks and (for ignorantly not knowing who they are) the "new-Jakes" will have better eyes for the goings-on in spring and summer camp, assuming COVID protocols are lifted before then. Hopefully that will be enough to lessen speculation of nepotism starting over talent. Given the roster, as is (I'm still refreshing for that rumored QB to be, not sass, genuine interest), I wouldn't immediately give in to shock and outrage if Johnson Jr was listed on the two-deep (now, Taggart Jr at WR, maybe if we got him some really, really sticky gloves…).
Back to the top
Control functions: