Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

David Slavic said

walty12 said

ROwl2007 said

I don't know if USF is a good measuring stick for success/failure right now. Maybe a good coach that is at a school that cannot pay what FAU should be capable of paying next year. Admin has to know that moving to the AAC meant greater investments in salaries/facilities.

What about a coach at a power house in the FCS? Can we outpay the Funbelt?
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 10:09 AM #409069

What we currently pay WT places us in the middle of SunBelt coach pay.

Again, we need to increase by 400% to 500% next year to be competitive with AAC pay.  

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 10:47 AM #409072

I feel like we need a year or two in the AAC to get the revenue to be able to pay competitively there. We can't pay to the level of Cincinnati and Houston, but we can get to USF and others after a year or two of doubled revenue. We also don't have to be at the top of the AAC in year one. We're playing the long game of joining a P5, and that takes time. We just need to be bowl-eligible consistently, then contend for the conference consistently, then we get invitations to the Big 12 or ACC. But that's going to take 5-10 years.

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 11:12 AM #409073

You are right, we don't have to be on top in year one but we need to be consistent. I think that we should make the investment early knowing that the revenue will be there in years to come -hence the investment part. If being invited to a P5 is the long term goal, then the money has to be spent now. I think the PAC12 is in life support and once/if it disappears it will bring another round of realignment. The Big12 might look into getting UCF a more regional partner if they include west coast teams… or the ACC might look into another Florida team if they lose FSU or UM.

I just think all these possible scenarios may happen much sooner than we think and we need to be ready, at least at the perception level.

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

"Glenn Spencer was fired as the USF DC last year."

And USF D still awful gave up 48 AT HOME to East Carolina and 41 to Loserville the week before, oh and 50 to BYU AT HOME first week! 38 a game actually worse than last year at 34.7/game.

WE better get better REAL FAST or WE replace them at bottom of AAC next year
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 10:06 AM #409068

Mix those stats with Miami, FAU and FIU…

Start to wonder, worst coaches in the world?  Or there an issue with the FL players?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Back in my day as a student, it was Mary Jane Saunders as Pres and she was basically like “Hey Howard, here’s a couple of pads and footballs. Have at it.”
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 11:27 AM #409076

This is the President - AJC
Back to the top

Owls2013 said

ROwl2007 said

I think I would prefer somebody used to handle a program, or a coordinator with more experience. I always liked Glenn Spencer… or somebody from a successful lower tier school maybe?

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 8:38 AM #409065

Glenn Spencer was fired as the USF DC last year.

There is no easy answers for an FAU. It is young OC/DC from winning program who does not have experience or vet that most likely failed at their last stop.

You can hire the next great coach or end up with the next Jeff Scott or like I said go with retred and will have mixed reviews on the hire.

Couple things to think about with young coaches  OC/DC couple things to consider:

1.Do they actually call plays? A lot of times that information is kept close to the vest.

2. Can they build a staff? This task is harder for younger coaches. Can they build a staff that can recruit Fla?
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 9:55 AM #409066

We supposedly have a coaching staff that can recruit in Florida now but that hasn't worked out very well…Coaching is more important than recruiting(IMO). I believe our facilities, being local and moving to AAC will help with recruiting. Additionally, if we have a good coach the recruits will come. If (big if) we're in the market for a new HC they better bring a QB with them as we're going to need one bad….

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I keep saying too many players from FL Don't wanna stay in FL, get away from parents, gangs, whatever,,,,

Especially now that they can be paid elsewhere! WHY even UF, FSU and UM are NOT what they were.

Add in the presence of the FOUR (4) newer FBS teams in FL (UCF, USF, FAU, FIU) and the pool gets shallow real quick IMHO!

Just look at the AAC recruiting level last year compared to us, above us in comparison, even considering doing better this year.

WE gotta step up in Facilities, Coaches and Recruiting to just survive next season guys! I see Brian White is in consideration for AD at GT, I hope he stays but whomever is gonna have to recruit donors BIG TIME
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I keep saying too many players from FL Don't wanna stay in FL, get away from parents, gangs, whatever,,,,

Especially now that they can be paid elsewhere! WHY even UF, FSU and UM are NOT what they were.

Add in the presence of the FOUR (4) newer FBS teams in FL (UCF, USF, FAU, FIU) and the pool gets shallow real quick IMHO!

Just look at the AAC recruiting level last year compared to us, above us in comparison, even considering doing better this year.

WE gotta step up in Facilities, Coaches and Recruiting to just survive next season guys! I see Brian White is in consideration for AD at GT, I hope he stays but whomever is gonna have to recruit donors BIG TIME

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 2:08 PM #409083

Our recruiting would currently rank fifth in next year's AAC.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 2:08 PM #409083
Our recruiting would currently rank fifth in next year's AAC.
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 2:54 PM #409084
Which is pretty darn good....for the first year...
Back to the top

On Rivals we would be 7th of next years teams presently.

WE are doing better this year but to take this so far weak CUSA team into AAC with a bottom half recruiting class we will be even weaker next year without LOTS of transfer help! Especially unless the Coaching steps up A LOT! :Smug:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

WE are doing better this year but to take this so far weak CUSA team into AAC with a bottom half recruiting class we will be even weaker next year without LOTS of transfer help! Especially unless the Coaching steps up A LOT! :Smug:
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 3:14 PM #409086

We can't win in arguably the weakest of the G5 conferences, despite being at the top of the conference in terms of skill level. It's definitely a coaching issue, and we're going to get killed next year.

I believe that FAU will just let WT finish out his contract, then go hire a better coach.

Also, just floating out there Gary Patterson, if he doesn't get picked up by P5 school like Colorado that needs a big name.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 4:14 PM #409086
We can't win in arguably the weakest of the G5 conferences, despite being at the top of the conference in terms of skill level. It's definitely a coaching issue, and we're going to get killed next year.

I believe that FAU will just let WT finish out his contract, then go hire a better coach.

Also, just floating out there Gary Patterson, if he doesn't get picked up by P5 school like Colorado that needs a big name.
Posted On: Oct 6th 2022, 9:25 AM #409102

Yes, if WT is our coach next year it's going to be a bloodbath. Especially, if he plans on having his son as our starting QB...

Nothing against the young man, I just don't think the skill level is there for a AAC schedule. Hell, he's probably a bottom tier C-USA QB.

Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: