Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

Well Dion Sanders is down to 3 schools, Colorado, Cinci or uSF… so not us! 

Hope not usf. 

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/deion-sanders-is-reportedly-down-to-3-notable-schools
Back to the top

SCowl said

Hope not usf. 

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/deion-sanders-is-reportedly-down-to-3-notable-schools
Posted On: Nov 30th 2022, 3:50 PM #410926

I'm not sure what to think of Deion Sanders in terms of big time football. Hbcu isn't that

Sure he has buzz but can he coach and recruit with the big guys in D1?  Not so sure about that. A lot easier to win with a soft hbcu schedule in fcs

It's boom or bust though so I took would rather him stay away from usf.  But I also think the coastal Carolina coach could do some damage at usf

I think we have to get a top OC type to coach here. And I think we can sell FAU a a springboard to the power 5 if you do the job right. (unlike the last guy)
Back to the top

Funny posted at same time as you basically! :cool:
Back to the top

SCowl said

Hope not usf. 

Posted On: Nov 30th 2022, 3:50 PM #410926

I’m not sure. The article title said three NOTABLE schools. I wouldn’t put it past him to come here, although he and WT are pretty good friends so he might not like being here at all.
Back to the top

I know somebody mentioned this on another thread, which I can’t find now lol, but I’d take Herman or Kendall. Prime would be my first choice, tbh, because I think he could recruit like crazy and probably win big here, while helping validate us as almost a destination school for up and coming coaches.
Back to the top

FWIW, The Spun is also saying that writers think Mike Vrabil could take over for Ryan Day. I feel like The Spun is always looking to create splashy headlines without as much merit as other sources.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

David Slavic said

Also, I hope that Prime is actually being considered. This is probably the perfect intermediate stop before jumping to P5.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2022/11/28/23480977/fau-owls-football-potential-coaching-candidates-deion-sanders-coach-prime-aac-2022-2023-carousel
Posted On: Nov 30th 2022, 9:41 AM #410919

I could see that too! WE are PERFECT spot to build resume BEFORE jumping to P5! But thinking some desperate P5 place will risk it. But would mean AD's job and possibly career if he fails at that level!
Posted On: Nov 30th 2022, 9:49 AM #410921

Colorado is that desperate. However, I don't see Deion being a good fit for Colorado. Recruiting there will be out of his area of expertise. Colorado struggles to recruit now. He stays in the south, he will do a lot better recruiting.

I agree FAU is the perfect spot for him to gain some experience for 3 to 5 years and prove he can recruit and win against a decent schedule of opponents. Deion is known for being brash and having an ego. That leads me to believe he would prefer to leave Jackson State for a program with a bigger spotlight than FAU. That said, I think he could do great things for FAU, but he would be here a short time and then gone. What FAU needs is continuity and stability. Deion won't provide that. Although, I am not sure who will given the current landscape of college football and the position of FAU within that landscape. Unfortunately, the job a stepping stone position for most coaches. It will be hard to keep anyone in place for more than a few years.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Winning 8 or 9 games in a 12 game season will always be difficult at Florida Atlantic since we often schedule and need the revenue from two Power 5 opponents at their home stadium.
Next year at Clemson and Illinois.

That means we need to win 8 of the remaining 10 games to go 8-4.
Lane was able to get to 9-3 two separate years, and looking back, that was really great.
Hope we can get there again.
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

Winning 8 or 9 games in a 12 game season will always be difficult at Florida Atlantic since we often schedule and need the revenue from two Power 5 opponents at their home stadium.
Next year at Clemson and Illinois.

That means we need to win 8 of the remaining 10 games to go 8-4.
Lane was able to get to 9-3 two separate years, and looking back, that was really great.
Hope we can get there again.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2022, 6:11 AM #410956

Key there is ya GOTTA beat MAC and MW type teams, we do not have a great record in those games!!!

Only 3-7 in past 6 seasons vs, G5 teams. 5-0 vs. FCS of course!
Back to the top

I don’t understand the notion that Prime would have USF ahead of us in his pecking order. We have better facilities and and on campus stadium for one, he is familiar with our program as his son was once committed to us, we have boosters and admin that are willing to let Prime be Prime so to speak much like we did with Lane.

I think we have a better shot to land him than most people think. Boca is a much better landing spot that Boulder or Cincinnati. That said, I saw SBNation has us hiring Kendal Briles which I would not hate but also would not want to hire him over Tom Herman or Prime. Just my two cents.
Back to the top
Control functions: