Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

''Stars do not not matter''

Add topic

I was reading through some of the old recruiting threads and there so many of who who argued that and that level of college football stars do not matter and Howard just has an eye for talent also how it does not matter how FIU our recurits us every year.
I was JW wondering how you guys feel about that now as FIU is 3-0 after and beating a C-USA AND Big East  schools and out bottom 5 classes every year reflect right where we are in the rankings.
Back to the top

Re: ''Stars do not not matter''

''Stars do not not matter''

I actually agree with you Stars do not not matter; since a double negative is a positive.

But, couple things…

1. FIU has never beat us; officially.
2. Without Hilton, they would not be 3-0.

So, not sure how great the "overall" recruiting is?

Back to the top

Rick said

I actually agree with you Stars do not not matter; since a double negative is a positive.

But, couple things…

There wins over Louisville and ucf over shadow all our wins over them sorry and the TY Hilton thing is a joke we would be still this awful with Hilton they have have a good football team because they have have been twice the program we have been the last 3 years.
Back to the top

I'm not sure why we continue to have this debate. It seems really obvious.

Not every high star player is good and not every low star player is bad. But cumulatively, players with more stars are more successful on the field and on Sundays than players with lower stars.

I don't even see how you can argue that when everyone knows it's true.

We haven't got higher star kids in the past because of our stadium, our conference affiliation and our school's reputation.

With our new stadium and a new coach, we can pull in 3 star kids starting now. With a coach like Leach and 2-3 winning seasons, you might even be able to pull in a rare 4-star. It could happen here if we play our cards right.

Rick said

They have a couple playmakers at WR, RB and LB. They played well against UCF even without Hilton, which is good since you never want to hinge an entire team's success on one player (like we do with Morris and WKU does with Rainey)
Back to the top

Right, you act like Howard was turning down 3, 4 and 5 star players….

I'll say this ONCE more so maybe you'll get it….PLAYING OUT OF LOCKHART PREVENTED US FROM BEING ABLE TO RECRUIT THOSE TYPE KIDS.  NOBODY IN THIER RIGHT MIND THAT HAD OFFERS FROM LARGE PROGRAMS WITH PROPER FACILITIES WOULD HAVE CHOSE TO COME TO FAU.  HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT?  We literally had the WORST facilities in the country.  Other Sun Belt fans would make comments when visiting.  You need to buy a roach motel in Miami and get celebrities to stay there when they visit if you dont see my point.

It was amazing that we had the talent we had with what he had to work with.  Also, its not just about "stars".  If you are recruiting kids that are the best they will ever be when they are 17-18 years old in high school then you are not doing your job as coaches.  YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DEVELOP YOUR PLAYERS!!!!!!  We have coaches on staff that the main part of their job (whether they are good at it or not is another question) is to develop and teach. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

It was amazing that we had the talent we had with what he had to work with.

Agreed. We lucked out with a bunch of guys. What else could we do with Lockhart?

walty12 said

Also, its not just about "stars".  If you are recruiting kids that are the best they will ever be when they are 17-18 years old in high school then you are not doing your job as coaches.  YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DEVELOP YOUR PLAYERS!!!!!!  We have coaches on staff that the main part of their job (whether they are good at it or not is another question) is to develop and teach.

Yes but we should be entering a new recruiting era now with the stadium where they don't need as much developing and should be full speed by their second year. We can't afford to waste 3-4 years waiting for WRs to learn how to catch a ball or OL to block because then what happens is we're stuck with underperforming players at important positions.
Back to the top

Rick said

But, couple things…

I'm not sure if you caught the UCF game but Hilton was injured and virtually a non factor in the second half. It was in the second half that they put it on UCF.
Back to the top

Well we can bring up all the old threads about stars. The fact of the matter is they do matter - and that is being proven now. Let me get specific - "stars" themselves probably don't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things - but the number of stars a player gets usually correlates to how well they are being recruiting, how many scouts are paying attention to them etc.

What I and a lot of other people on here painstaking stated for the last few years is that it was obvious that the bowl victories did not produce any bounce in recruiting (stadium or not that is on the staff for selling the program) and that FAU's recruits as a whole were virtually "off the radar" - the old 'diamond in the rough' theory.

Taking it a step further - take a look at our past recruitiung classes. You will see that there was very little interest - to NO interest from other D1 programs in these recruits. Actual OFFERS from other d1 programs were scant at best - in fact in most cases we were getting players that were only really being seriously looked at by D11 schools and maybe some Sunbelt schools. It is what it is - we do not have a competitive D1 product on the field now. Sometimes you get lucky and you find a Rusty - but that is the exception to the rule.

Now take a look at FIU's recent classes - they were getting recruits that were being recruitied not only by D1 schools, but schools in the bowl subdivision! This includes getting recruits that were given offers from some major football schools. It's not like their recruits are on par with these schools as a whole, but the fact that they could land some of these types of recruits speaks volumes to the job Cristobal has done. It is absolutely no coincidence that it is being shown on the field now.

And it is therefore not surprising that FAU has been rated as having the WORST recruiting classes IN THE NATION. Stadium or not, that should not happen with our previous success, in this location and in the Belt.
Back to the top

Agree 100% with you d-owl! Major programs like Oregon DO NOT pay 25 grand for a report with no value, they use these recruiting service reports and use them well. And you are right, the stars partially reflect the amount of interest a recruit is getting, especially from BigSix programs and this is why many times a recruits stars will jump after being signed. Bottom line, they are usually better atheletes and better football players.
Back to the top

HAHA, you guys just dont get it.

You think because we won the R+L Carriers bowl or the Detroit Motor City bowl we were going to be able to recruit with the Oregons of the world?  Do you have any clue what their facilities, fan base, campus, etc. look like?  I think most of you need to get on a RV and drive around this country to different college campuses to get a real feel.

Of course stars matter in a way because high school All-Americans get 4 and 5 stars.  The ODDS they'll be good in college are higher, the ODDS they would come play at Lockhart in the Sun Belt…not so high.  There is a lot more that goes into it than stars…there is character and the fact that they will have to fit into the system you run.

Jeff Brantley - 5 Stars…not a 5 star player under Meyer.  Rusty Smith - 1 Star…5 Star player under HS.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: