Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BREAKING: DL Jaden Wheeler Commits to FAU's Class of 2020

Add topic

Willie Taggart and his staff have added another verbal commitment to FAU's 2020 class in defensive linemen Jaden Wheeler.

From Nashville, Georgia - a town of just under 5,000 people just north of Valdosta - Wheeler (photo above) was mostly overlooked by FBS schools until he was invited and played in Georgia Elite Classic All-Star game where he dominated during practice and the game, and caught the attention of both media and college coaches.

As word began to spread, the offers started rolling in for Wheeler.  "I went from just a few lower division offers to over 30 total in just a few weeks,'' Wheeler told FAUOwlsnest. This includes offers from USF and Tulane and even interest from Syracuse, where he was supposed to take an official visit, but has since canceled as he is all in on FAU and will be in Boca Raton for his official the weekend of the 24th.

FAU's new defensive line coach Kevin Patrick was the first FBS coach to offer Wheeler and quickly developed a strong relationship with him.

"Me and coach Patrick connected on a way I’ve never connected with a coach before, he doesn't only talk about football with me but, we talk about life and how to be a man and everything.''

The 6-3' 270 lbs framed prospect racked up 71 tackles, five sacks, four fumble recoveries, and two deflected passes as a senior, which earned him first-team all-region and Georgia all-state honorable mention.  

Despite the accolades and the rash of late offers from schools, Wheeler still feels like he was overlooked and will be coming to FAU with an underdog mentality.  

"I have a chip on my shoulder for sure because I’ve always been overlooked, and I’m going to prove every person who doubted me wrong. I got to take care of my family because I don’t want them to struggle anymore, so I’m coming to take a spot.''

Owls fans can expect to see Wheeler being used along the defensive line from playing tackle, to also standing up and rushing the passer from the outside in Jim Leavitt's hybrid 3-4 scheme.

Wheeler becomes the Owls' fourth overall 2020 commit from the Peach State, joining defensive linemen Marlon Kurkoe, Travis Lockhart, and wide receiver Justin McKithen

Stay locked in to FAUOwlnest.com for all your recruiting updates as the dead period comes to an end this Friday, and FAU will host their first of three official visitors weekends leading up to the February 5th signing day.

2020 FAU Football Commit List - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

We've had success in s. Georgia. Leroy, harrison….maybe this is the next diamond in the rough
Back to the top

A TON of great football talent in Georgia to be tapped. Like the S. FL. kid's, many WANT to get away from home or local bad "influences" and Coach T used to pull a lot from FL AND GA for WKU when hew built them up over FAU!
Back to the top

Owls' staff went in home with Wheeler last night.
Back to the top

Seems as if wheeler may greyshirt. I know there is a 25 a year limit including transfers. Are we low on scholarships. I would think Dline would be where we focus the most and he is on the dline. I see where leavitt runs a 3-4 hybrid so maybe they will use the remaining schollys for CBs. I wish pierre and dotson would have returned that would have been awesome.
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

Seems as if wheeler may greyshirt. I know there is a 25 a year limit including transfers. Are we low on scholarships. I would think Dline would be where we focus the most and he is on the dline. I see where leavitt runs a 3-4 hybrid so maybe they will use the remaining schollys for CBs. I wish pierre and dotson would have returned that would have been awesome.
Posted On: Jan 29th 2020, 11:04 AM #393803

Non of that has been made official. 
These types of decisions be can be made at the end.
Back to the top

My understanding is that the "25 scholarships" a year is a tricky rule with a ton of minor exceptions and loopholes. I think we can count transfers for different years if we end up with players that leave early (in 3 vs 4) or transfer.
Back to the top

I understand the emotions this young man went thru. Being s star high school athlete and then finding out you may be asked to gray shirt. It could hurt your feelings. But I think he made the right decision to do what the coaches asked. He will be an Owl . He said he has a chip on his shoulder. Use that chip to your benefit.  Can't wait to watch his development.  
Back to the top
Control functions: