Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Recruiting Notebook 11/16/12 - A potential Trio from Chamberlain

Add topic

FAU Football Recruiting Notebook 11/16/12 - A potential Trio from Chamberlain

Chamberlain athlete Ronnie Scott committed to Florida Atlantic several months ago, but since then he has turned from recruit to recruiter.

The shifty athlete - who spent this past season playing quarterback for his high school - has hit the recruiting trail hard for the Owls and is trying to get his teammates and local area prospects to follow him to FAU.

One of those individuals he is after is his high school running back and good friend Xavier Johnson.

Johnson (pictured right) is verbally committed to Toledo, but is taking an unofficial visit to Boca Raton this weekend to watch the team face FIU.

“He was offered the same day I was, and I have been trying to get him to check out FAU,” Scott said.

The two plan on driving up Friday afternoon to capture the atmosphere of the rivalry. This isn’t the first time Scott has taken an unofficial visit, as he was on hand for the last home game against Troy.

“It’s kind of a bittersweet thing,” Scott said. “We lost our game last week which knocked us out of the playoffs, but I knew at that moment I could go to the FAU game on Friday.”

Bringing along Johnson, is good news for the Owls coaches, as the 5-foot-9 190-pound ball-carrier holds offers from Toledo, Marshall, Ohio, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee State and UMass. At one point in time he was committed to South Alabama, but has since changed his mind.

Johnson isn’t the only teammate Scott is after; cornerback Jermaine Gilyard also holds an offer from the Owls. The defender would have made the trip with the duo, but couldn’t because of work.

“Coach (Brett) Diersen has been trying to get both of them to come down and visit, and I finally Xavier to. He’s excited to finally get some Tampa talent down there,” Scott said.

Johnson's senior season highlights can be viewed here.

FIU Game Visitors List

Official Visitors:

Tyler Ferguson QB College of the Sequoias - The most important prospect on campus this weekend, the Owls need to impress the quarterback before he takes his next visit to Houston.

Unofficial Visitors:

Trevonte McFadden DB Ely - A local prospect, McFadden's older sibling's Bryant and Walter, both played in the NFL. The corner recently picked up his first offer from FAU.

Kamrin Solomon WR Mandarin - The Owl commitment will be making his first trip to campus since summer.

Jason Engel TE Coral Glades - I had the chance to watch one of Engel's games this season, and left with the impression that he was a good past catcher but undersized. Currently he holds no offers.

Lorenzo Jerome ATH Taravella - Jerome was another prospect I saw in Broward Country this year, and he impressed me with his athletic build. He's been offered by South Dakota.

Tyler Henderson DB Crestview - Henderson told me last night that he will be making the long trek down to South Florida on Friday. This will be the commits first ever visit to FAU.

Reggie Brown DB Tampa Jesuit - Another FAU commitment that will be at the game, Browns and his father will taking in the action on the sidelines.

Bernard Brown WR Wolfson - Brown is still waiting to pick up an offer from the Owls.

Jordan Reus WR/DB St. Cloud - Reus has the 2nd highest SPARQ score in the nation, but sat out his junior season with a knee injury.

E.J. McKenzie DB St. Cloud - A teammates of Reus's he will be visiting, but doesn't hold an offer.

Ronnie Scott ATH Chamberlain - Scott has built a relationship with FAU's coaching staff and is now trying to recruit his friends to the program.

Xavier Johnson RB Chamberlain - The running back is committed to Toldeo, but that hasn't prevented him from taking a look at the Owls. Anytime a committed prospect is on campus, it's a good sign.

Jake Carroll RB Steinbrenner (2014) – The junior running back's highlights can be viewed here.

Note: The above listing was based on the information provided when it was composed. Changes may result according to prospect's schedules.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Football Recruiting Notebook 11/16/12 - A potential Trio from Chamberlain

Johnson has got moves. We should offer him!

And Jake Carroll is like the white Alfred Morris - hard to bring down ;D  I don't suppose he's related to former FIU QB Wesley Carroll?
Back to the top

Re: FAU Football Recruiting Notebook 11/16/12 - A potential Trio from Chamberlain

Add Hilton Head (SC) QB Michael Julian to the list.

He holds offers from Arizona, Cincinnati, Indiana and Owls.
Back to the top

Andrew said

Add Hilton Head (SC) QB Michael Julian to the list.

He holds offers from Arizona, Cincinnati, Indiana and Owls.

Interesting…….
Back to the top

A day after that horrible game. Any word from any of the visitors on what they thought?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: