Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Sign 24 in 2011 Class

Add topic

Re: Owls Sign 24 in 2011 Class

Owls Sign 24 in 2011 Class

LOL - more spin on the "worst recruiting class in the nation" AGAIN! Yeah everybody has recruiting wrong with the exception of FAU.  :-\
Back to the top

d-owl said

LOL - more spin on the "worst recruiting class in the nation" AGAIN! Yeah everybody has recruiting wrong with the exception of FAU.  :-\

I would never support this program if I lived in your world. 
Back to the top

Guys we are ALL Owl's and to agree to disagree is ok but we gotta stop with the personal nature of some of the attcks here! I for one am too am "CONCERNED" with the direction of the program and it's apparent problems.
My concern now not only is for recruiting (hell, Marshall has 12 Florida recruits with eight (8) of them being 3-stars - that is four times ours at one weak CUSA program!) and coaching and play on the field - but for how that will be reflected in a near empty stadium if we continue to lose - and lose badly vs. any decent opponent. I HATE LOSING but primarily, FAU CANNOT afford an empty stadium and pay-off the stadium debt. We could lose or even suck at Lockhart - but not now! Prove us "concerned" supporters wrong this year coaches and players, PLEASE!
But I for one will ALWAYS be an OWL! Go Owl's!
Back to the top

fauowl said

d-owl said

And I would never want to live in your world, which is apparently a fantasy land where if one is to criticize a program he supports he is all of a sudden not a "real fan". I wonder if some of you people even know what it means to be a fan.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Guys we are ALL Owl's and to agree to disagree is ok but we gotta stop with the personal nature of some of the attcks here! I for one am too am "CONCERNED" with the direction of the program and it's apparent problems.
My concern now not only is for recruiting (hell, Marshall has 12 Florida recruits with eight (8) of them being 3-stars - that is four times ours at one weak CUSA program!) and coaching and play on the field - but for how that will be reflected in a near empty stadium if we continue to lose - and lose badly vs. any decent opponent. I HATE LOSING but primarily, FAU CANNOT afford an empty stadium and pay-off the stadium debt. We could lose or even suck at Lockhart - but not now! Prove us "concerned" supporters wrong this year coaches and players, PLEASE!
But I for one will ALWAYS be an OWL! Go Owl's!

Great Post! I agree. But understand the personal attacks started from those who do not dare to criticize any aspect of the program - then when people like us try to point out the obvious problems - we are attacked by this vocal minority. Truthfully I'm tired of it. This is a message board where we can voice our differing opinions - but in some of these so called 'fans' minds, if you don't blindly support everything going on, then you are "not a real fan" etc. It's really ridiculous.

And you are absolutely right. This is not all about recruiting. There are some serious issues with this program right now. And we care enough to voice our concern. We should all be concerned with the current downward spiral of the program going into the stadium. 3-4 years ago nobody would have thought FAU would be struggling as a program going into the new stadium (which is finally a reality). A continous bad product will mean empty seats and could have a disasterous effect for years to come.

Hopefully this thing turns around - but right now there are no real signs they will.  But let's all be honest with ourselves - everyone tried to blame the lack of a stadium on the poor recruiting. Now we can't use that excuse anymore.
Back to the top

d-owl said

fauowl said

d-owl said

And I would never want to live in your world, which is apparently a fantasy land where if one is to criticize a program he supports he is all of a sudden not a "real fan". I wonder if some of you people even know what it means to be a fan.

I don't see where I referred to anyone as not being a real fan.

I was referring to reading the constant critical nature of some posts and thinking if I felt that way all the time, I could not continue my support.  I would simply go find something else to be passionate about.  It doesn't make you wrong and me right…it's just how I would handle it for me.

There are plenty of things to be critical about this program (and all programs)…there are also plenty of things to be thankful about.  Some of us are glass half-full people, and some are glass half-empty.  I am thrilled that we even have a program to debate.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

With the exception of me being called dumb the other day I dont know where anyone else has been personally attacked, and I'm not losing sleep over an argument with an internet gangster.  :)

The conversation is not personal, at all. Though I too wonder why you would support a program that you seem to dislike so much.  ;) I'm a half full guy (when it comes to FAU) and you're not, fair enough.
Here's the thing, I am of the mindset that we have been spoiled in the first 10 years of this program, we have done really well in the grand scheme of things and I think comparing us to FIU is absolutely fair. Honestly, we SHOULD be FIU and they us. They have better facilities, much better alumni support, more money, seriously better everything than we have and they had exactly what is to be expected of a brand new football program in their first 10 years: one barely winning season. FAU, with HS at the helm, did things that are unheard of in the world of football for a startup, we all agree there. 2009, just as we're a few bounces away from being a 3 win football team, we're also a few bounces away from winning 7, that's football, it's getting those lucky bounces. And last year, we were struck on the o-line, two guys went MIA before the season and poof, we're down to a brand new line, can't win in that situation. But it's totally cyclical, for everyone. UF sucked this year by their standards, so did Texas. Talk to me in 4 more years about FIU passing us by, you can't use one season as the example.

I wonder sometimes if you all realize the financial situation our University is in, it's not good. If you think HS enjoys getting our teeth kicked in by the National Champs on opening day, you're wrong, but he's not gonna tell you that. We're whores, we have to be, the rent's gotta be paid and the kids need food, period.

Recruiting season is like hurricane season when everyone becomes a meteorologist, and I choose to trust HS and his staff. Who on the board has had a football career like Jared Allen? Do you all really think you can out scout him? That's why I'm positive about this team. There is not a more qualified, better suited coach in the nation with what we have to offer than Howard Schnellenberger. With our budget, we can afford Ricky Bustle, that's it. Do you really want Ricky Bustle?

Finally, you get a chance to check out some other football teams' message boards I suggest it, this is by far the most civil on the internet.
Back to the top

Excellent post! Thank you TB.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

There are some people on this board that need to read this post every day.  If Rick would give me addresses I would mail a signed and framed copy to them.  d-owl, what is your street address?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I for one, support both sides of this argument!  If we are not careful, FIU's program could surpass ours in the near future.  We need to be aggressive and strategic in growing our football program.  There's no doubt that the last couple of years have been painful and we have definitely lost a step or two.

FAU fans as a whole have come to expect too much, too quick and yes we have been spoiled!  One thing our program claimed is that we are going to base our growth off of USF and hope to be as successful as they have been.  In 2007 we were all believers and now many are judging the program based on 2007.  I believe that the true reason why we are arguing back and forth is that we lack respect and in 2007, we felt great about the respect we were receiving!  We feel like we are the "red headed step child" of Florida College Football compaired to UF, UM, USF & FSU.  We just want respect and the only way to gain respect is to go out and earn it!

I guess what I am saying is that the next few years are very important for this program!  We all need to come together as fans and support the kids and at the same time expect the most from the people being paid to grow "OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM!"  I am also concerned but very optimistic!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: