Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Recruiting Strategy

Add topic

So I was talking with a close friend of mine who at one time was a Rivals 100…4 star…. anyway, we were talking about FAU and how they go for local talent and how successful we have been as a program in our short time on the college football "scene".

We started talking about his experiences and what he would have done differently and what would have made him sign an LOI to FAU versus USC, Michigan State or even Florida. While it might seem like water under the bridge, my friend felt that smaller schools like FAU don't feel like they can compete for the big guns. He said he would have liked if a smaller program would have stayed in tough till the end and pitch the importance of making a program excellent. A big reason as we all know these players go to these big schools is because they want to make a name for themselves and make the pro's, and compete for a National Championship.

How about coming to FAU and being the lure…becoming that guy who opened the eyes of others…the first ever first round draft pick to come out of FAU…first starter in the NFL to have spent his collegiate career at FAU. These things may sound like wishful thinking, but i guarantee that DeMarcus Ware would consider making a name for himself at Troy one of his greatest accomplishments.

My friend is now fully aware of FAU's program and though his support is for MSU (where he played), he still thinks our future is bright and that eventually we will land many Rivals 100.
Back to the top

Re: Recruiting Strategy

Interesting perspective…thanks for sharing!

Btw…your friend wouldn't happen to work at FAU would he??
Back to the top

Recruiting Strategy

no, he actually is on the Redskins roster, but hurt his knee so his future is uncertain.
Back to the top

"Success breeds success".  Once we get a few guys in the NFL, it will make it easier to get top recruits.  Troy gets a lot of high level recruits because of the success they have had getting guys to the next level.
Back to the top

footballfan47 said

"Success breeds success".  Once we get a few guys in the NFL, it will make it easier to get top recruits.  Troy gets a lot of high level recruits because of the success they have had getting guys to the next level.

I agree, but we also need the stadium, more conference titles, few more bowl appearances and maybe play for a better conference.
Time cures everything!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

AlexFAU06 said

footballfan47 said

I agree, but we also need the stadium, more conference titles, few more bowl appearances and maybe play for a better conference.
Time cures everything!

GO OWLS!

Bolded is the LARGEST issue but your right excpet for the last one.

I have a feeling were going to be in the SunBelt for a while (5-10 years) Our facities are just NOT up to par with a BCS confrence.

No Football Stadium (Till its built or started it doesnt exist)
Small Basketball arena (While Nice the Burrow probably isnt big enough for BCS consideration)
Baseball stadium (Port-a-Potties for players, Nuff Said)

The other Mid major confrences are not any more attactive EXCEPT for multiple bowl opportunities. If the SBC could get a nother bowl games it is just as good as CUSA and in better shape geographically. In basketball other then Memphis and UAB the CUSA are not all that good. MAC is in a shambles both football and basketball.

The SBC is going to be a good to top Mid Major here pretty quick. The missing piece is more bowl games.

Unfortuantely Im not sure that our confrence leadership or Presidents are strong enough to get this piece done. >:(

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

FAUALUM2005 said

no, he actually is on the Redskins roster, but hurt his knee so his future is uncertain.

yikes…sorry to hear  :-\
Back to the top
Control functions: