Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU @ Southern Miss - February 26 & 27, 2021

Add topic

Mike Forrest drains FAU's first three of the contest. The Owls aren't as hot along the arc in the first half as they were   in last night's opening session.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Halftime. Owls lead USM 36-26 thanks to a solid play from Silins and Forrest who place first and second in scoring, respectively

Back to the top

Idk which way is up anymore, but I assume we're a lock for the conference tourney?
Back to the top

While we're highlighting Boyd's assist and Kapiti's slam, its Karlis Silins who is putting on for FAU right now. He has a game-high 15 points, including a pair of three pointers.

Back to the top

Oh sheeeesh, and here comes USM... The hosts are making it close thanks to a 12-2 Golden Eagles run.

Back to the top

owlmart said

Idk which way is up anymore, but I assume we're a lock for the conference tourney?
Posted On: Feb 27th 2021, 6:12 PM #400788

Good question! With the win last night, and with a struggling Middle Tennessee program awaiting a visit to The Burrow next week, we would've been safe for the cut off. Things have changed just days ago as C-USA has announced that all 14 programs will now make the conference tournament.

Back to the top

The wheels have come off. FAU's once 16-point advantage has evaporated as they continue to turn the ball over, no with 23 lost possessions.  We're knotted up at 58 with four minutes remaining. This is what happens when the Owls aren't able to drain a FG for over six minutes while on the road.

Back to the top

OWLS WIN! WHAT A FREAKING WIN FOR THE BOYS!!!!!!

How GUTSY was that!?!? FAU fights off an INSANE USM comeback, made possible by C-USA POTW Tae Hardy's 32 points, to pull off their first road trip sweep in three years!

Back to the top

Florida Atlantic improves to 10-9 (5-5) thanks to gutsy final few minutes to fight off a ferocious Southern Miss comeback attempt.

Following a 16-point FAU lead five minutes into the second half, the hosts fought back to take their first advantage with just three minutes remaining. While it may have been later than Owl Nation would have liked, that scoreline motivated the Owls to explode to a 13-5 run to close the final 2:30 of the contest. Here's tonight's Quick Hits from FAU's 73-66 win over USM.

Quick Hits

• The Owls shot above their averages tonight, going 49% FG and 45% 3FG. Although that wasn't without moments of doubt and drought as USM went on a 24-8 run in the middle of the second half.

• FAU kept USM leading scorer at bay with just two points scored. The Owls' interior defense played the USM star man better than anybody has all season.

• Five Owls scored in double digits with Karlis Silins pacing them all with 15 points.

• The turnover bug reared it's ugly head again as FAU gave up 23 possessions. Thankfully, no turnovers occurred while FAU closed out the final three minutes of the game.

• BJ Greenlee provided the spark in that final push, draining a three as USM took their first lead of the night. That spark motivated Ingram and Forrest quickly followed suit to put the game on ice.

FAU Head Coach Dusty May said he was extremely proud of his team's energy in the final four minutes. "They knew it was winning time… you saw it in their eyes."

NEXT: vs. MTSU in the final regular season series before the C-USA Tournament. Game One is Thursday at 6 in the evening.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: HERE

Back to the top
Control functions: