Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Not so fast, says Boca

Add topic

FAU stadium plans confict with contract it signed with Boca in 2002

The campus development agreement says the school won't build a stadium until a new highway exit is in place. A new Interstate 95 interchange at Spanish River Boulevard won't be complete until 2013, state transportation officials said. But on Tuesday the FAU board of trustees agreed to move forward with plans to build a stadium that could open in 2010.

IMO, this is a non-issue. There are far more commuters to FAU on a normal class day than on a game day.
Back to the top

Re: Not so fast, says Boca

It is a ridiculous argument, do a quick study of the cars on Glades and Spanish River for business and FAU school commuters during the week versus a normal Saturday afternoon, add 15K - 20K for a football game and am positive you will still be well under a normal weekday.

It's a non issue.  Boca just needs something to complain about.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

It reads like Boca will do the responsible and smart thing and work with FAU to make the stadium a reality.

However, I am astounded at how much the city tries to throw roadblocks in the way of a great institution that does nothing but make Boca a better place to live.

Imagine how many cities would bend over backward to get FAU to move there.
Back to the top

I agree…this is a non-issue.  For one thing, in the article it says Boca is willing to negaotiate.  Also, the original plans were for a 50,000 seat stadium.  Kian is correct that because it is now 20,000 seats less than before, the impact on traffic is now considerably less.  We are talking about traffic on Saturday afternoons a maximum 6 days a year.  Traffic on Glades and Spanish River won't be a problem.  To me this isn't a major deal.
Back to the top

Not so fast, says Boca

Isnt Boca other than a retirement place for the rich pretty much a college town!  I would love to see the traffic backed up for game day at FAU!!!
Back to the top

The median age in Boca is around 42 or 45. Include the surrounding unincorporated area and other cities and the age drops. Why is it that everyone insists it's such an old place?
Back to the top

BMarkey said

The median age in Boca is around 42 or 45. Include the surrounding unincorporated area and other cities and the age drops. Why is it that everyone insists it's such an old place?

Go to Publix on any given weekday and you will see why people think Boca is full of the walking dead ;)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

The estimated attendance at the games is a little over 16,000 which is less than the enrollment at the Boca Campus and that doesn't include faculty and staff that drive to the university daily.  And we are only talking about no more than 6 saturdays a year for university football games. Any high school games will be less than that.

I'm sure this will be brought up when the university meets with the city. FAU gets so much frikin' opposition when it tries to grow and change.  Everyone has to put their 2 cents in as to what FAU should or shouldn't do.  If the city of Boca had their way, FAU would still have only 5000 students and all juniors and seniors.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

i say to screw the city and here we go FAU! ha
Back to the top

rdownin1 said

Isnt Boca other than a retirement place for the rich pretty much a college town!  I would love to see the traffic backed up for game day at FAU!!!

no, the median age is 42…its a family town believe it or not…
Back to the top
Control functions: