Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium agreement with the City of Boca Raton

Add topic

Stadium agreement with the City of Boca Raton

From the upcoming BOT Agenda:

The BOT and City agree that the design and construction of the Stadium will consist of a maximum
30,000 seat stadium that may be built in two phases. It is agreed that the Stadium will hold no more
than a total of fifteen (15) scheduled events per year, including: (i) a maximum of six FAU football
games on campus, of which only one will be a weekday (Monday – Thursday) game, (ii) a maximum
of eight (8) Friday night events, which may include but are not limited to high school football games,
and (iii) one special event per year; provided, however that nothing herein shall limit or impact the
number of events held in the Stadium that are primarily attended by or intended for FAU faculty, staff,
students and family. The BOT and City agree that upon execution of the CDA, the City and BOT will
enter into an Interlocal Agreement to address traffic management, law enforcement, and Fire-Rescue
operational impacts associated with events scheduled in the Stadium.

No more than six games, only one during a weeknight… guess there's no ESPN clause in case we have a good year…

EDIT: The Master Plan update stipulates a Convocation Center/Arena with only 7500 seats, not 10k :(
Back to the top

Re: Stadium agreement with the City of Boca Raton

Sorry, but this is nonsense. What does FAU get in return for letting Boca Raton help run the show? Who in the world is doing the negotiating for the FAU side? This is state property. Setting a precedent for allowing Boca Raton to help decide what happens on FAU property is bad business. Yes, it's appropriate to be a good neighbor, of course. But that's a two-way street; it also is nice (and necessary) for Boca Raton to be a good neighbor to the university and its students, faculty and staff (who pay sales taxes and patronize local businesses). Period. End of story.
Back to the top

This is really lame. FAU is going to build a $62+ million stadium and Boca Raton is putting a real strangle hold on the university's ability to pay for the stadium by limiting the use of it. The city should be cherishing the opportunity to have a first rate university in its midst. Instead it fights FAU desire for progress.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

While I understand the "need" to "work with" the city, this does appear to be far too limiting. However, it does also appear to have a lot of gray area regarding events on other days (Sun. through Thursday) as it is really only specific to Friday nights and 6 FAU home games (they should change to allow for 7 in my opinion as the home edge helps to give you the better records for bowl eligibility and national ranking).
I also believe they should be specific about allowing a "date" for a potential bowl game to be held in the stadium.
Be very specific with more "reasonable" useage limits so that arguments and legal issues do not arise at a latter date!
Back to the top

I have no problem with it.  Apparently years ago, FAU had agreed to not build a stadium on campus until the I-95 onramp was built.  Because of that, they had to negotiate with the city to get out of that agreement.  If this is the result, so be it.  They could play hardball with the city, but what is the use?  Why make the city upset and risk delaying the project further with any sort of legal challenge.  Just get shovels in the ground already!!
Back to the top

We should be so lucky to have 6 home games a year.

A convocation center with 7500 is not even worth the trouble….I mean we already have a renovated arena with 5000.  If it isn't 10k don't bother.

I see this as good news though…at least we are seeing some sort of movement.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

A convocation center with 7500 is not even worth the trouble….I mean we already have a renovated arena with 5000.  If it isn't 10k don't bother.

Not a bad point.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

SeminOWL2006 said

Not a bad point.

Actually it is a bad point.  The Bank United Center on the campus of UM has a seating capacity of 8,000…which they usually don't fill playing in the ACC.  As a market, South Florida has never proven it cares much about college hoops. We don't come close to filling up a 5,000 seat arena.  I don't see how a brand new 7500 seat arena wouldn't be perfect for our program.
Back to the top

Seems pretty reasonable – up to 6 home games, one of them being a weekday game on ESPN, and a potential bowl game. It would be nice if the stadium's initial capacity is anywhere near 30000.
Back to the top

I totally agree with Grayowl and Illi, the city acts as though this is going to be some sort of drag on the city. The city will benefit from People Spending Money in there town at the Restaurant's, Malls, Hotels etc. People like it an the next thing you know they are planning vacations. Cheez these guys are ridiculous and this has gone beyond good neighbor they play the "my way or the highway" >:(.
Back to the top
Control functions: