Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ FIU - Shula Bowl XVII Game Thread - November 3, 2018

Add topic

Incredible game, incredible momentum shift after Johnson got the offense going. Shows that last year's team is still in there, somewhere, they just needed the right motivation and circumstance to coax them back out.

As Robison has struggled I have joined others and advocated for Johnson to get his chance and, sparingly, he has, without turning in the dominant performance he had tonight.

It's enough that you'd have to think he earned the starting nod next week, even if it meant "on a short leash", although Robison has struggled in the past and still started the next game so we'll see what Kiffin thinks, especially when he's trying to match up QB strengths vs WKU weaknesses.

I'm sure people will be tempted to argue that he did well because FIU run defense was already getting gashed by #5 and #6 - and even Peavey running it in, wut - but Johnson only accounted for, what, 50 yards on the ground, not 250, so the overall game management cannot be ignored.

And you'd think that would be the most important overall aspect for games moving forward, so let's hope this is a turning point in our season rather than a fluke performance in a rivalry game where everybody was playing better than they had been.
Back to the top

We don’t need a gifted passer when the only passing calls are screens and pre determined passes to the tight end down the seam. Robison has made some good/decent throws this year but they have looked ridiculously scripted. He wasn’t making plays. And I don’t think that’s entirely his fault but De’Andre just plays like a guy that is confident and wants to make the splash play. Maybe it’s that De’Andre has nothing to lose when he comes in but at least he (and even peavy) are willing to keep the ball on a zone read. 
Back to the top

Here's the deal…

We played one of the worst rushing defense teams in the league last night. We wore them down over time…plain and simple.

WKU is also pretty bad, so we probably won't need a passing game much at all either against them…

BUT:

UNT and CHA are in the top 3.

Bet your bottom dollar we won't simple trample on them like we did FIU…there also won't be that extra emotional factor.

Having said that, don't count Robison out just yet…we may have to use both of them strategically.

Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

We don’t need a gifted passer when the only passing calls are screens and pre determined passes to the tight end down the seam. Robison has made some good/decent throws this year but they have looked ridiculously scripted. He wasn’t making plays. And I don’t think that’s entirely his fault but De’Andre just plays like a guy that is confident and wants to make the splash play. Maybe it’s that De’Andre has nothing to lose when he comes in but at least he (and even peavy) are willing to keep the ball on a zone read. 
Posted On: Nov 4th 2018, 10:31 AM #382985

Maybe the injury last year has hampered DJ's throwing to some degree, I don't know – but FSU didn't recruit him as their future QB for his running ability alone– he was a fantastic passer in high school and at Last Chance U. I'm not around the team, but even last year, I always got the sense he was a leader and that guys looked up to him. I get the sense the team will rally around him more – and his decision making proved to be a 100X better than CR's – case in point – CR inexplicably throwing these 4th down passes out of bounds – whereas DJ threw his for the TD that completely energized this squad.

I'm sure Lane sees CR's raw talent and knows if he puts it together he could be lethal. Sometimes raw talent doesn't translate on the field, especially for a redshirt freshman. I've seen enough of CR this year.

Back to the top

I’m not writing off any of the players and I hate disparage the young men. But I don’t think that Robison is developing well in this system and I think we have already brought up how it’s a little late to make major changes. @Rick you are right about the schedule but do you really think that rotating quarterbacks is a viable strategy? If we just put Robison in to pass and De’Andre in to run that kind of makes it easy for the defense. 

Either way I know there aren’t any gimmes these days but I think with a strong running game and an improving defense we can win our schedule. 
Back to the top

I think we're going to kill everyone 50-20 the rest of the way with DJ. Robison just doesn't have the receivers to be successful right now, especially considering he's not that good of a runner. Doesn't it seem like Driskel was a much better runner than Robison. Anyways, Robison can start in 2020 after DJ exhausts his eligibility and have 2 years to be our starter
Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

@Rick you are right about the schedule but do you really think that rotating quarterbacks is a viable strategy?
Posted On: Nov 4th 2018, 11:19 AM #382988

Well, technically that's what we did last night…just not int he truest sense because we didn't go back to Robison…

I think on certain passing downs you have to consider him over Johnson, but as far as a three headed run approach Johnson is your guy all day.
Back to the top

We did GREAT last year running on "obvious" passing downs. CR just seems to throw INTO coverage way to much still. Install more QB option pass/run plays for BOTH of them an they will be better for it. That and more designed qb draws with ALL receivers running deep routes to open up the space.
Back to the top

Rick said

OwlPT15 said

@Rick you are right about the schedule but do you really think that rotating quarterbacks is a viable strategy?
Posted On: Nov 4th 2018, 11:19 AM #382988

Well, technically that's what we did last night…just not int he truest sense because we didn't go back to Robison…

I think on certain passing downs you have to consider him over Johnson, but as far as a three headed run approach Johnson is your guy all day.

Posted On: Nov 4th 2018, 12:19 PM #382990

The three headed monster approach I think has to be the move going forward and I think DJ is probably a good enough passer to run those TE seams and jet sweeps so he’s our guy all day!
Back to the top

While it could be easy to say we should've gone with DJ earlier in the year, I like what Kiffin did here. Make DJ work at it, and think he might never get a shot. That way he gives 110% in practice and when he gets in he knows there's no room for error or Robison will come back in. That's brilliant. When DJ looks on the sideline he sees Robison itching for his job back. That's a great way to do this. It ensures DJ has to give everything he has to keep his job, and that brings the best in people. Plus Kiffin might've been gone after the year if DJ started all year. I wonder if Kiffin leaves if we finish 8-5.
Back to the top
Control functions: