Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TOURNAMENT THREAD: FAU in the Ungar Memorial Tournament - Nov 25th - 28th, 2020

Add topic

The Owls will return to Boca to face Florida National in the home opener next Thursday.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Nice! Great win, hope we can carry this games success
Back to the top

Owls finally get in the win column, albeit at the expense of an NAIA program. Nevertheless, FAU's response from last night's disappointment comes at a relief to FAU hoops fans. Most impressive was the performance of FAU's four freshmen, who all made the most of their extended playing time against a lesser opponent.

Here are some quick hits for the Owls dominating win over University of Mobile 84-41:

Team Play

• Dusty May's boys have turned suffocating defense into easy buckets in the offensive court throughout the tournament.

• FAU isn't scared of making an extra pass in order to find an easier bucket. That is made easier when the team only turns the ball over 11 times. In fact, a couple of turnovers came when the team tried to be too fancy while running with numbers in the transition.

• Owls dominated the battle along the boards 51-31. This includes 37 defensive rebounds to Mobile's 10 offensive rebounds, a vast improvement from last night's loss to JSU.

Upperclassmen Leaders

• There he is! Ingram went off on the Rams. The statsheet is listing 19 points for the Owls' start forward, but could very well end with 21 or 22 points in the official statsheet. Ingram did not practice for two weeks leading up to the trip to Mobile, hence his slow start.

• Greenlee scored his first field goal since his stellar performance against South Alabama. He also claimed a game high three assists.

• FAU big men Karlis Silins and Madiaw Niang put on a defensive clinic down low with three blocks and one block, respectively. Their movement was quick enough to handle Mobile's impressively fast big man. Both Silins and Niang hauled in six rebounds a piece.

Phenomenal Freshmen

• A slew of freshmen made the most of their extended time, but none more than Nicholas Boyd. He nets a career high 17 points, which includes 3-6 from the arc. He has been competing with Greenlee and Forrest to be the starting point-man in the offense before a neck strain slowed his performance at practice last week.

• Alijah Martin equalized Ingram for a game high eight rebounds to pad his career high seven points.

• Giancarlo Rosado and Johnell Davis scored eight and seven, respectively, with both freshmen shooting 2-3 from the field.

Owls return home to face Florida National in the first game of the season at The Burrow, Thursday, December 3.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top
Control functions: